THR Doing it Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks shugaplum; I think you're right; one day at a time (everyone on here says that and I think it's wise; although not always the easiest; to follow it). When is your due date? How has the extra pregnancy weight affected your new hip?

Thank you Jaycey; I am feeling brighter; I hope it lasts a bit longer this time! :SUNsmile: I just wish I could be outside! There is so much snow and cold!

Thank you Beth! I like the new name...I wonder if I can change it on here,..
 
Sometimes the best advice is the hardest to follow!!

I am due on the 9th but will having a C-Section most likely sometime this week. My hip has held up pretty well...I gained more than I wanted but I also think I could have eaten nothing by lettuce and my body still would have done this!! I had a few points where I had hip pain, enough to make me worry, but just as I thought I couldn't stand it the pain would subside. In some ways it was good for my hubby because he and I met after my surgery so he never saw what I went through. I think it was eye opening to see a glimpse of how I felt during all of that. I will be having a C-Section partially due to baby's bigger size and partially to protect my hip. I spent too many years miserable from hip pain and I never want to jeopardize how great I now feel! My surgeon seems to think that a vaginal birth is possible but I'm too nervous of the risks. If something happened I would not be able to take care of my baby and I don't like the idea of birthing with a team that has no ortho experience in case something went wrong.
 
Sounds like you made a wise choice; it's definitely not worth the risk! Is it just the one side you had the THR on? if not, how is the other one? My other one will probably have to be done in a few years but I'm not there yet.
Thank yo for all of your sharing and support
I wish you all the best for your C-section! What a great way to bring in the new year!!
 
I just had the right one done...the left one shows deterioration but not nearly as severe as the right one was. I told that the left would need to be replaced at some point but may not be for 20 years depending on how I care for it.

And you are absolutely welcome for the support! Let me know if you need anything!!
 
Hello there,dont worry to much about leg length being different,it was the very first thing i said to physio when i stood for the first time,it will bed in ok.Last visit to the physio she measured leg difference and it had gone to 5 mm.It soon settles with walking.happy new year
 
I hope so! I got sad the other day just thinking that I will never be able to walk bare foot again because right now I am at at least one inch in LLD.

Yesterday there were 2 moments during the day where I had such an intense searing pain right in my joint...it lasted only about 30seconds - 1 minute then went away... has anyone else had this???
them my groin muscles spasm up so much I can barely move my leg. I've been using the heat packs but is this normal??
 
I had lost of spasming post op. Some of it stopped me in my tracks! Are you taking any pain meds? Does icing help? Sounds like you have some angry soft tissues.
 
Notdancingyet :)

Don't feel badly about the Meds; the medical community isn't well informed about how Tramadol and related drugs are potent SNRI anti-depressants, and you were certainly on enough, for long enough that stopping or reducing quickly could worsen depression. Some States are making Tramadol a controlled med, because it's not as benevolent as it seems.

So how is the Hip doing? It's still normal to have the odd pains now and then. Scars and adhesions may tear with movement, muscles are adjusting, and the leg is adjusting too. I'd be a little careful about the length length discrepancy verdict by your PT. I remember hearing 3 or 4 different answers after surgery about whether my length was perfect or not. You can get a lift if it continues. Not the answer you want, but it's an option that some end up with.

Keep on the pain meds and remember you're only 3 weeks out from surgery. I bet you're on a cane most of the time now, which is great!

And how is it going with the partner? Did he leave yet? If not, it's OK to define what time and space you need, and refuse to argue with him. Along with the "Men who are Bums, and Women who Love Them" books, are others that help you learn to disarm someone. I sent a friend a book called "Emotional Blackmail" who had difficulties in dealing with a very manipulative family. It helped her recognize bad behavior and how to respond more productively. There's a lot of tools out there, and it's good to have affirmation that you're not the crazy one, because that's what manipulators do. They take advantage of any insecurities and use them against you.

I hope this New Year finds you feeling better all over.

Best,

TH
 
Try not to let your feeling of leg discrepancy get to you. It's so early in your recovery process. Your hips didn't get to their pre-surgery point overnight and it takes time for your body to readjust itself back to what "normal" really is. You will see lots of positive changes in the coming months. Just remember that it is MONTHS....not days or weeks. That's how we measure recovery here. Always ask yourself...what can I do this month that I couldn't last month and you'll stay focused on the positives.
 
Yesterday there were 2 moments during the day where I had such an intense searing pain right in my joint...it lasted only about 30seconds - 1 minute then went away... has anyone else had this???
them my groin muscles spasm up so much I can barely move my leg. I've been using the heat packs but is this normal??

I've had that joint pain lately- but has happened after i overdid it on my bike. I would have it once in a while earlier in my recovery - IIRC after I started working on 'walking normal' - eg with toes pointed forward and proper upright posture. I also noticed that after getting back on the stationary bike and then the real one, my right groin tendons are extremely tight and sore (no spasms tho) - I was able to relieve it somewhat with massaging and heat pads - plus also sitting or lying 'bow-legged' knees bend and out, seemed to be a safe way to stretch them out. I think it's probably due to all those years of limited/improper use. Now that I think about it, I noticed that 'piercing hip pain' when the tendons first started to get tight from excercise. My guess is it's that tightening in the groin is pulling at the prosthesis causing the pain.
 
Hi TH; the hip is pretty much the same... the whole lateral side of my leg is still numb and I was expecting at least some feeling to return by now. I am on a cane most of the time and still need pain meds. I am trying for just 4/day now. As for the hubby; well he came back all apologetic and he is a little better. At least he is not fighting with me but he is under alot of stress with his own life situation and I just don't think he has the ability to really step up and be there for me. Or maybe I am just expecting too much. After my heart surgery, he was the perfect mate so I think I went into this expecting the same treatment and when he didn't deliver I got hurt/upset. My surgery was just bad timing (not that it is ever good) but his life was extremely chaotic too. So I am just finding the strength within myself. At least he keeps the house fairly tidy and helps with the kids; I guess beggars can't be choosers... and really; no one really knows what having a THR entails until you have been through it yourself (which is why I feel so blessed to have found this forum!!) But he has zero empathy which is tough and I don't think he loves me anymore. I don't ask for something unless I absolutely need it and I am not in the frame of mind to make any life altering decisions at this moment. I have to wait until I am recovered and clear headed! At least he is not smoking up anymore and he is good to the kids.

Davefd; I think you may be right; I was trying to walk a little more "normal" and that may have caused the extra pain.

Patience is not one of my virtues!!!! This is a real struggle for me; lying in bed day in; day out. I'm going to try out some meditiation and see how it helps because I had totaly envisioned that I would be one of those patients that walked out of the hospital on a cane and had a speedy recovery...I thought I would be Wonder Woman before I became the Bionic Woman... but it was not meant to be...lol...
 
I hear you on 'patience' - not a virtue of mine either! The sitting around all day drives me nuts and I am so burnt out on Netflix!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Doing it Alone
That's what I thought, too!! But after recovering from one hip and then two knees and having to spend a lot of time sleeping on my back, somehow it became habit. I now sleep about half the time on my side and the other on my back. So you never know!!!
 
I am trying for just 4/day now.​

Odds are good that the searing jolts of pain you are feeling are because you are trying to cut back on meds too soon. It's much easier to stay ahead of the pain than it is to catch up after the fact. Don't try for just 4 a day....try for what works. Rest, ice, elevate, and use adequate pain meds on a consistent schedule. There's a reason why we repeat that mantra all the time. :)

In a couple weeks, when you have the pain consistently under control, you can start very slowly tapering off. By then it will be aching and soreness instead of jolting pain and spasms. A lot easier to deal with.

Sharon
 
Patience is not one of my virtues!!!! This is a real struggle for me; lying in bed day in; day out. I'm going to try out some meditiation and see how it helps because I had totaly envisioned that I would be one of those patients that walked out of the hospital on a cane and had a speedy recovery...I thought I would be Wonder Woman before I became the Bionic Woman... but it was not meant to be...lol...

Oh honey, you are only just a few days off 4 weeks. This is major complex surgery and it is going to take and yes patience.. But you can do it, I know you can.

I love the idea of your meditating, I meditate and find it absolutely wonderful.. Do let me know how you go with it and what type of meditation you do?
 
Hello again! I just wanted to comment on the leg length discrepancy. I felt like I was walking on a ship for weeks and weeks after my surgery! My right leg used to be shorter and after my surgery I would have sworn they added inches to that leg! But it did eventually even out...remember that there is a ton of swelling in there! It's not just on the surface where you can see it, but everything in the joint is irritated and swollen as well. It takes awhile for everything to settle and scar tissue to settle so try not to be frustrated with it. I think somewhere around 6-8 weeks I finally started to feel a little more even. I remember getting off my cane and standing on just my operated leg and the non-replaced leg would be above the floor with my hips even! I am now very even and feel good so it does get better. Also, prior to surgery you were probably off in one direction or another so some of the healing process is getting used to "normal".
 
Thanks Sharon; I guess I was just trying to ward off the mood altering side effects of the pills but in turn I'm getting pain so I guess it's the lesser of two evils! Looks like I will be on my emotional roller coaster for a bit longer!! lol...

Thanks Poppet; I used to do just silent/blank meditation a couple years ago and I loved it but then I stopped for some reason. I tried to get back in that way but found out I just can not focus enough to quiet my mind right now so I am trying guided meditation first which is more relaxation/breathing. I haven't even been able to get back to reading yet unless it is a super light magazine as my brain just won't let me focus quite yet!

You're right Shugaplum, my one hip seems so mal-aligned and far back but it was like that before the surgery too because of years of compensating so it will just take time (or so I keep hearing...lol...)

My PT was just here this morning which totally wiped me out! She said I should go see my OS sooner than my 6 wk because the spasming in my groin is really interfering with my exercises. I don't think much else can be done at this point though. Other than that, she said things are coming along well...I just have my curb my over ambitious drive to do to much
 
Question:
My physio was here this morning and gave me new exercises; one being lying on my side with pillow between legs and attempting to do a leg raise. It worked ok while she was here (even though I could barely move the leg) but I just tried it again now and heart this awful snap crackle pop-ing noises accompanied by alot of pain. I can only relate the sounds similar to when you crack knuckles or your neck except these things do not cause pain and this did. It seems to have settled down now but has anyone experienced this and should I keep trying with the exercises??
 
No! Do not do any exercise that causes pain. Never!

When you see your physio again, let her know what happened. Many people are unable to do that exercise at your stage in recovery, so there is no harm in waiting until you are more ready for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom