THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@Bone-obo Thank you so much for your kind words. Mentally and emotionally it has been a rollercoaster ride for sure. I'm hoping it will start to slow down soon. I can handle the physical pain bit...except for the emotional toll it tends to take on you. I don't know if having surgery pulls all the built up emotions out or what. I'm not always in this kind of mood. LOL! Just seems to be whenever I need to post here. You are right, it is good to have a name for the pain, I need to look at it through those eyes. I'm just having a little pity party for myself. I'll get over it. Thank you again for the sweet words, they felt like a hug. :friends:
 
@Mojo333 Thanks for the link, I have to get off the computer right now, need to go get some stuff at the store, but I will read it later. I got a cortisone shot yesterday which should help with the inflammation from the bursitis, once it is calmed down, is when he said to start with those exercises, because I really need to strengthen these muscles, I can't even use my left leg to walk up stairs now, I have to use my non-surgical leg. My foot keeps turning in, and just a lot of other movements that I should have been able to do by now, but still have to baby my leg. I'll try the exercise and see how I feel afterwards to determine if I will keep it up or not.
 
Thanks for the update @dogchick
I'm happy to read you made it to the OS's office and learned all looks well on the x-ray.
I hope that info offered you some reassurance. I'm sorry you're struggling with pain and a bursitis diagnosis.
With any luck the injection will kick in soon bringing you some relief. In all honesty, carte blanche at the gym, at not quite 6 months post op, while you're still having issues and suffering pain sounds risky and worries me. If your OS is recommending exercise or PT, I think you could use some professional guidance, at the very least. Ask your OS if he will prescribe PT...tell him it won't fit in your budget currently.

I'm sorry you're feeling down, not that it's any consolation, but it's not that unusual. Many suffer low moods during the holidays and shorter, darker days Winter brings. Hopefully you're able to get adequate rest and make time to do the things that feel fulfilling and bring you joy. And if you feel like crying, CRY :bawl:Let it out! Go for a drive, into your bathroom or bedroom and have a good old cry when you need to. If it were me, I'd save my family from it, at least my kids. It can scare them, cause them to worry, feel helpless, make them moody, etc. Share with hubs, call a friend or family member, talk to a counselor. Whatever you need to do to get through it. And yes, there are those with worse problems, there always will be but that doesn't change that you're in a funk and you need to find your way out. You need to take care of yourself. You will get through this. Use the forum, I'm sure many can relate, we're here and we care.

:prayer:Prayers today feels a little brighter :SUNsmile:
Get out and enjoy some of what the season has to offer, then go home and take a long Winter's nap :yawn: :sleep:
Big hugs :santa hug:
@dogchick
 
Last edited:
I'll second what @Layla said in terms of the gym - at this point, it might be too much. My view on exercise is that all you really need to do is move more than you did the day before. That's it. It helps to know what each day's baseline is, which is why people love Fitbits, although there are apps for any cellphone that can help without the extra hardware. The other thing is advance carefully - a lot of programs suggest 20% increase in activity level each week. (You can vary it more on a daily basis so ya won't get bored!) Finally, for you I'd suggest that quality is more important than quality - it's better to walk a block with good form than limp two. (When I was trying to get my broken stride back in shape, I'd walk at the mall so I could imitate the stride of people around me. Weird, I know.)

Finally, find something to do that doesn't feel like "exercise", because "exercise" sounds too much like "suffer, baggage, because it's good for you" and who needs that noise? My wife and I have taken to walking laps around the local shopping center (1 miles per lap) and rewarding ourselves with a single scoop of ice cream. I track distance with my Apple Watch because I'm a guy and gadgets make me squee.

And post! You're on my radar now, and I want to see how you're doing!
 
@Layla I asked for him to please order PT for me. He wouldn't do it. He said they aren't going to be much help. I might call back and just see if I can talk to Dr. Reagan, my OS, instead of his assistant. Although, Pupprince #1 has a membership that allows him to bring a friend, our schedules (and my energy level) don't always work together. I had another friend offer to go with me on her membership which allows her to bring a friend, I'm pretty sure our schedules would work better together since we both work at schools (different schools). I just know me. I'm not going to go across town very often (albeit, I live in a small town). I had a membership there before, and after the initial excitement, just didn't go enough to make it worth the money. I doubt it will be any different now. At least at the PT office, I had to make appointments, which made me go so I didn't waste someone else's time. LOL! I love when you reply because it always gets me thinking about things, which makes me realize truths about myself.

You will be happy to know that I have planned some fun time with my family this week. The boys and I are going to back some cookies on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday, I've invited my niece and my Sister-in-law to come over and help decorate the cookies. I do this every year, and while I get wiped out, I enjoy it sooo much! It's fun to see the CRAZY creations that the "kids" (who are all in their 20's) come up with. Dog Dude doesn't want to decorate, but he said he'd eat them. :snork: I was planning to make some handmade soap as well, but I didn't get started getting supplies and stuff in time, so I might order some stuff, but wait until later to start making the soap. So yeah, I do have some fun things planned.

As far as feeling depressed. Yes, I struggle every year around this time with depression due to less light, etc. It's been compounded by the issues I've mentioned before, plus, the move from the high school to the middle school. And other little disappointments. I'm finding it more and more difficult to pick myself up after any kind of disappointment or frustration. As I've said before, I should probably call a therapist, to talk to, but just can't seem to make the phone call. Maybe I should have my niece come over and call then hand the phone to me. LOL! Because I'm not doing it on my own, I just can't. I'm such a mess, Then I get to the point where I feel like I'm doing better, so, why should I call, I'm feeling better. Then I go down again. I don't say anything to Dog dude because he's the worry wart of the family, and stresses out too easily. Believe it or not, Pupprince #1 is the one that I can tell a little to because he's caring and understanding and won't stress out about it. But I don't tell him everything. Still, need someone to hold my hand to make the call. It's a process I guess. In the meantime, I plan to enjoy my time off from work. And not that I'm a fan of snow...I'm not, but we've had nothing but rain, rain, rain. I hate rain, I would like to get a great big snow storm to make everything look pretty....can someone do something about that please? :rofsign:
 
@Bone-obo You know, I TRIED to get Dog Dude to buy me a fitbit charge 3 on Black Friday when he got his, but he didn't. :blackcloud: I'm a techy kind of girl. I'm not complaining though, I got a TON of stuff, new flannel sheets, curtains for the bedroom and kitchen, curtain rod, comforter set, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember. LOL!

I was told by the OS assistant that just walking isn't going to strengthen the adductor/abductor muscles. That's why he wants me to go to the gym. I'm going to rebel though. :skep: I told him the OS wanted me to have more PT, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it because I ran out of visits. I told him starting in January, I will have more visits. But he insisted it wouldn't help. He was a nice enough guy, and I'm glad he addressed the bursitis, but I found he didn't listen to me like my OS does. I think I'm going to call the office and talk to someone on the team and see if I can "encourage" them to see that PT is the way to go.

As far as exercise, there isn't much around here to do. I live in a small agricultural town. We don't have indoor malls here. I'd have to drive about an hour away or so to get to one. I'm very much an outdoor person, I LOVE to walk trails with Chocolate monster, it doesn't feel like exercise, but I'm still using the cane, and I worry about her pulling me and knocking me off kilter. Plus, I swear we have had more rain than sunshine since August. And when we do have sun, it ends up being SUPER cold! It's been miserable and I can't do anything outside because of it. You know...:scratch: now that I think about it, I'm wondering if part of my depression might be because I'm not getting that time to just be in nature and center myself like I always did before. Hmmm...there's a thought. :chinstroke: Anyway, so I don't have a lot of options for exercise around here.

I will definitely post when I can. Once I'm back to work, I feel like I'm in a whirlwind and everything is non-stop. By the time I get home, I'm pretty exhausted and can't put two words together. I usually will try to post on weekends. Thank you to both you and @Layla for caring and putting up with my moods. (Insert heart emoji here) We need heart emojis, I find myself often looking for them here.
 
My heart goes out to you. It is difficult to exercise when the weather is horrible. I am a few weeks behind you re op date and am quite scared about going back to the gym beyond basic static cycling as scared of overdoing it again. I feel that my progress is slow but steady now and in darker moments I get quite down. It is hard back at ft work too as people just don’t understand. That is why Bonesmart has been so helpful.

Interesting about the advice you have been given re the abductors etc. Just what exercisecat the gym is supposed to help and is there a PT equivalent you can do at home?! .

I take extra strength vitamin D in the winter months and it does help.

Hope having your family about helps you to feel better soon and some snow comes your way x
 
I wonder if there is a Rehab Pilates specialist in your area? A good one giving you individual exercises using equipment would probably be better than going to a gym. I appreciate it’s difficult to find the right person and comes at a cost.
 
Hi @dogchick
Go with your idea of trying to talk directly with your OS about ordering additional PT. It may work!

I'm glad you have the cookie baking and decorating to look forward to since you enjoy it.

Has it been suggested you try Light Therapy for the seasonal affective disorder you seem to suffer from?
Is your Vitamin D level low? If you're unaware, have it checked to see if you need to supplement.
Consider cleaning up your diet...if it needs attention.
Do whatever you need to do in an effort to keep your stress level down.

Instead of looking at the glass as half empty, let's look at it as though it's half full. The school year is just about half over when you return after Christmas break. Yay :yay: halfway point and you're doing it. :happydance:You'll make it. Look forward to making a change for next school year...if it's in the cards.

Schedule some therapy sessions, get a fresh perspective and some tools from a neutral party who deals with
situations like yours on a daily basis. Do it for yourself for the New Year. Tell yourself it's going to be your year to get yourself back on track. Diet, exercise, mental and emotional health. All of it. You can do it, so stop sabotaging yourself. :headbang: Just think how much better you could feel by Summer vacay. It's attainable and only five months away! I think the first step is you make the phone call yourself. You don't need your niece to come over and do it. Let that be your first goal /victory. You make the call yourself. You can do it! Don't use the excuse you're feeling better either because you're only procrastinating. Dig in and work through whatever is getting you down in life. Your year...remember?

You don't need a mall to walk in, nor do you need to walk outside in inclement weather. You have the perfect place to exercise / walk in circles. THE SCHOOL where you work. Go early when the halls are dead, or stay late.

I understand you're hurting, disappointed, in a funk. I'm sorry for that and I want to see you feeling healthier mentally and physically and ultimately happier. You just need to start chipping away at some of this. You'll feel better just knowing you're being proactive. We care. We're here for you and will continue to be. I hope you have a peaceful day and a lovely Christmas!
Sending love and a warm hug your way. :loveshwr::friends:
 
+1 everything that @Layla said.

I had an actor in a play I was directing once that would walk incessantly when he wasn't on. It wasn't a large space, and most actors would just sit and wait for their next entrance, but he would pace off into the wings, exit the back of the theater and come in though the front to reappear behind us like an ersatz phantom. The rest of the cast was a little freaked out, but when I asked him about it, he just lifted his shirt a little to show me his pedometer.

Interesting about the advice you have been given re the abductors etc. Just what exercisecat the gym is supposed to help and is there a PT equivalent you can do at home?!
Abductors are muscles on the outside of your thighs that move your legs into a split. If you lie down to make a snow angel, when you open your legs to make the "gown", you're using your abductors. These bad boys are seriously involved in walking - they kick in on every step to keep your hip from dropping and keep you from limping. One risk factor is sitting a lot (which THR patients do prior to surgery cuz walking hurts!), especially with crossed legs, which tends to weaken the abductors - this is why PT's get crazy enthusiastic about 'em. If you want to go down the rabbit hole like I just did, google Trendelenburg Gait, then watch yourself walk in a mirror and see if


looks familiar!
 
My heart goes out to you. It is difficult to exercise when the weather is horrible. I am a few weeks behind you re op date and am quite scared about going back to the gym beyond basic static cycling as scared of overdoing it again. I feel that my progress is slow but steady now and in darker moments I get quite down. It is hard back at ft work too as people just don’t understand. That is why Bonesmart has been so helpful.

Interesting about the advice you have been given re the abductors etc. Just what exercisecat the gym is supposed to help and is there a PT equivalent you can do at home?! .

I take extra strength vitamin D in the winter months and it does help.

Hope having your family about helps you to feel better soon and some snow comes your way x

Thanks @SurreyGirl I am also nervous about going to the gym because there really isn't any guidance. Like you, I'm ok with the recumbent bike since I used it at PT. I've been trying to think of other ways I can strengthen those muscles at home instead. I need to look over my sheets with all the exercises the PT gave me and see if I can figure out which helped with that. I don't know what the assistant was talking about, now that I've had some time to back up and think about the whole thing. I plan to rebel and do my own thing for now. I wanted to schedule my next appointment with Dr. Reagan but they said, no, it has to be with David, his assistant. :headbang: So I may just stay here on Bonesmart and just go for rechecks and unless something serious is going on, just say things are fine. Just because I'm stubborn and annoyed and mad at him. :hissy: LOL!

I also take extra Vitamin D. I take Calcium with the extra D, and I take 5,000iu a day of Vitamin D3, but I take it all year long because my doctor told me I should. I am MUCH worse off when I don't have the vitamin D, so I know it does help. I hope that you continue to see progress and get through the winter without too much trouble. :friends:
 
@Layla I have asked about light therapy, but doctor said the set-up is very expensive and my insurance doesn't pay for it. :oyvey: He told me to get outside every day for a few minutes. I had my vitamin D level checked last year and it wasn't low at all. But that's because I do supplement.

You know, I have never been a glass-half-full kind of person. I have always been upbeat and generally had a positive attitude. It really bothers me that I have been feeling so negative, and it bothers me to think that others think I'm a negative person, because I work hard NOT to be because it bothers me when others are always negative. LOL! Did any of that make any sense? I guess it's just a sign that I really do need some professional help. (Trying to convince myself and sound it down into me.) I do need to work on exercise, and getting some therapy. Unfortunately, going in to work early to walk the school will not work for me because I leave my house at 6:30am to begin with, but I can't get into the school until 7am when they unlock the doors. Staying later doesn't work either because I have to get home to let chocolate monster out, and I am physically and mentally exhausted by the time I leave and need to get away from that place. (a side note is that there is a lot of mold in the building so the less time I spend in there, the better!) I think only people who work with middle school kids will understand that exhaustion I'm talking about. Working with that age makes you want to tear your hair out. :hairpulling: I do like the ones I work with, but the age level is just not a good fit for me, I need to get back to the high school to feel like my sanity is safe. LOL! I know it doesn't seem like a big difference from 8th grade to 9th-12th, but it is a HUGE difference. It's one thing to deal with your own kids at that age, and quite another when you are dealing with 20 kids that are not yours at that age. Anyway, I just REALLY need to get out of that place, because my stress levels get so high while I'm there.

I promise I will do all I can to get myself back in order. I promise I am not this negative all the time. Clearly, I need somewhere to let out all this negativity and get back to my regular upbeat, positive, silly self. I'm sorry that I have been such a dark cloud lately. :sorry:
 
+1 everything that @Layla said.

I had an actor in a play I was directing once that would walk incessantly when he wasn't on. It wasn't a large space, and most actors would just sit and wait for their next entrance, but he would pace off into the wings, exit the back of the theater and come in though the front to reappear behind us like an ersatz phantom. The rest of the cast was a little freaked out, but when I asked him about it, he just lifted his shirt a little to show me his pedometer.


Abductors are muscles on the outside of your thighs that move your legs into a split. If you lie down to make a snow angel, when you open your legs to make the "gown", you're using your abductors. These bad boys are seriously involved in walking - they kick in on every step to keep your hip from dropping and keep you from limping. One risk factor is sitting a lot (which THR patients do prior to surgery cuz walking hurts!), especially with crossed legs, which tends to weaken the abductors - this is why PT's get crazy enthusiastic about 'em. If you want to go down the rabbit hole like I just did, google Trendelenburg Gait, then watch yourself walk in a mirror and see if


looks familiar!

Hmmm...was that guy walking purposely that way to show how the hip drops? Or does he really walk like that? It seemed overly dramatic, but who am I to judge? LOL! I don't THINK I walk like that, but I don't know, I never watched myself walk. No full-length mirrors in the house. I think I just limp. I'll have to ask someone. A PT would be helpful to tell me...:heehee: Hence the reason I wanted to have more visits.
 
Hmmm...was that guy walking purposely that way to show how the hip drops?
Nah, I think he was vying for The Worst Imitation of a Limp Award - I should have posted a better one!

I think you're right about getting a PT - if you get a good one, they can analyze how you're limping and maybe figure out how to help. Note: a "good" one - you might need to interview a few!
 
Nah, I think he was vying for The Worst Imitation of a Limp Award - I should have posted a better one!

I think you're right about getting a PT - if you get a good one, they can analyze how you're limping and maybe figure out how to help. Note: a "good" one - you might need to interview a few!

I already have a really good PT. She's the one I used for my shoulder (frozen shoulder) as well as after my hip surgery. So all I need is the ok from the OS. LOL!
 
Question for anyone who can answer. Does anybody know how long it should take for a cortisone shot to start working? I know the initial swelling from the shot needs to go down, how long does that take? I got the shot Friday afternoon. I thought by today, I might start to feel better, but so far, not feeling any better.

Today, I made 2 cookie doughs. A cut out sugar cookie dough and a gingerbread cookie dough. Tomorrow I will make the Peppermint chocolate thumbprint cookie dough and the Lemon Butter cookie dough (also a roll out and cut out cookie) Tuesday, the Pup princes and I will bake and decorate the Lemon butter cookie dough and the thumbprint cookies, and we'll just bake the sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies. Wednesday, my niece, sister-in-law and the Pup princes and I will decorate those cookies. I have to do all this stuff in shifts like this because I can't be on my feet so long. Just standing and making the 2 doughs today has made my leg ache a lot. The doctor's assistant told me to take Aleve because it's an anti-inflammatory and works better for bursitis than Tylenol. It sure feels good knowing I don't have to work this week. I can just be home and enjoy time with my family. I hope you all get to enjoy time with your families as well. :roseshwr:
 
Last time I got one for my hip, it took about 5 days to kick in, and about a week to reach max, then it lasted about 3 months.

I'll bet those cookies are delicious!! Say hey to the entire Pup Dynasty!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom