Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@dogchick, just want to applaud you for showing resilience and determination in the face of your setbacks. Sorry to hear it's taking you such time to get back to the walking you want to do.

A quick point in favor of light therapy. I've used light therapy boxes--with great success-for going on 20 years now. I can't really wake up without sitting in front of a light therapy box or wearing my light therapy visor. You can get a research-grade, highly recommended light therapy box, brand new, for about $100 bucks on Amazon. The Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Bright Lamp is highly recommended and has been used in major research studies.

You can pay less on ebay. All you need is a box that says 10,000 lux of light and you need to know how close you need to sit to the light box to get the effect (each light box tells you 10,000 lux at 12 inches, 18 inches, etc.) There are also light therapy visors ... and dawn simulators. I love my visors. ... And there are dawn simulators (lights that turn on gradually like the morning sunrise) have much the same effect on mood as light therapy--for some people--not all.

I'm a natural night owl and without the light therapy, I get depressed each winter and I gain weight from craving carbs and have major trouble getting out of bed and when I get out of bed, I still feel asleep.

It's hard to take action when you're feeling down, feeling like taking action is exhausting, but I'll point out that you've had the hip surgery, which takes a lot of energy and initiative. You're being forceful in asking for more PT and in thinking of meeting directly with your surgeon.

I will plug therapy too. I would not be alive if it weren't for therapy. Once you find a therapist you like, therapy can be fun and make life so much better! My therapist helped me through the ups and downs of hip replacement.

Anyway, sending you encouragement.
 
@Going4fun Thank you for your kind words. Sounds like you know a lot about light therapy. I never realized there were so many different types of therapy lights.

I am more of a morning person, definitely NOT a night owl. There are times when I am up very late and have trouble going to sleep, but mostly, I have no trouble falling asleep, staying asleep can be a problem sometimes though. Although I'm a morning person, it is tough to get out of bed, I like to linger...not sleeping, usually using the laptop, watching tv, drinking my morning tea. Only on my days off from work though. I usually have to be up by 5am for work.

I do agree that a therapist would be helpful for sure. I go through phases. Even in the winter, I do much better when I don't have to go to work for a week (I work at a school), I think it puts a lot of stress on me, especially now, since I was moved from the high school to the intermediate school. I don't like it there, and it's a very fast-paced environment, which has been hard both physically and mentally. Even when I was at the high school, the last couple of years, I did much better during the winter when we had winter break. So I think part of my issue is more stress than Seasonal Affective Disorder...I don't know, that's why I need to see a therapist to flush all that out and see what the real issue is. I'd forgotten that there was a thread here on BoneSmart about depression after surgery. Funny how I had read that before my surgery, but once I started going through it, I totally forgot about that thread, and the fact that depression after surgery was even a thing. I saw it tonight when I logged on. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for the information you posted, it was very helpful! Wishing you the best :flwrysmile:
 
Over the last three days, I have been making cookie dough, baking cookies, and decorating cookies. PHEW! It was so much fun with my "boys", and my niece and sister-in-law. Some people do Ugly Sweaters...my family does ugly cookies. :heehee: I can't help myself, I have to decorate my cookies as pretty as I can. Not all of them turn out pretty. But the boys and my niece do their best to make them ugly. It's so funny! When I first started this whole thing many years ago, I had no idea it would turn out to be ugly cookie day. It was hard for me at first to let go and let them be. I had to remember that this is supposed to be fun for all of us. The next year, I gave in to it all and didn't try to give suggestions and tips. Unless they asked of course. I try to introduce some sort of new "technique" once in a while at the beginning of the day, and then just leave it to them to do what they will. I realized it's hard to eat the pretty cookies, because you don't want to ruin them. But ugly cookies are easy to eat. :loll: This year, I showed them how to create snowflakes on the cookies with icing. My niece found that she actually really enjoyed making the snowflakes. But we still did ugly cookies and had lots of laughs and jokes and ribbing of each other. It was exhausting but the BEST day just enjoying my family. Wish I could do it all the time. They are my life and I love them more than life. Watching them laugh and have fun is just a huge therapy session in itself. I can't help but smile just thinking about it. Another thing I noticed this year, compared to last year, is that I was able to keep up with the demands of being on my feet and getting up and down a lot this year. Yes, I did get sore and a little painful, even moved wrong and got a sharp pain when I did, but nowhere NEAR as bad as it was last year. Last year, I was thinking I wouldn't be able to do it again this year. Thanks to my hip replacement, I was able to do something that I LOVE. It's truly a blessing, a new lease on life as it were.

Today, I had to pick up new glasses. I got a new prescription, and am now officially old because I need bifocals now. :snork: My former student who I call my adoptive daughter lives pretty much across the street from where I was picking them up, so I messaged her and told her I was going to be up there, if she was going to be home I would stop in to see her. It was sooo nice to spend time with her and catch up on each other. I got a great big hug from her when I got there, goodness I miss that girl so much! Anyway, I forgot my cane when I left the house and didn't realize it until I was almost there, so I went cane-less today. I didn't really feel it right away, but when I got home, I was starting to feel quite sore and some pain. But since I was home, I was able to sit in my recliner and watch some tv for a bit. All in all, it was a pretty good day. I have tomorrow off and of course Saturday and Sunday off, then it's back to work. I'm already starting to feel a bit apprehensive about it. Sunday's I usually end up taking Tylenol PM to help me go to sleep because I usually struggle to go to sleep because of my anxiety and I start feeling stressed. One thing I DO like about this school is Art. I love going to Art class because I find while I'm in there working on the project, the tension and stress just flow out of me and I am very relaxed. It's the only time of those days that I do feel relaxed. I have it twice a day every other day, so I look forward to those days. Someday, I'll take a picture of the first project I did, and once this project is done I'll take a picture of it and share it here. So that has pretty much been my week. I hope that you all have had some time to spend with your family/friends. :cheers:
 
Happy Friday! :hi:
I hope you had a nice Christmas. @dogchick
It sounds like you created some memories with your son's to add to your Christmas Cookie Decorating Memory Bank, lol.

Hopefully you'll get an appt soon to have some one help you work through all that's holding you back.
We're here for you.

Enjoy the weekend!
 
Hi @dogchick

I just popped over to your thread to say I LOVE the picture of cookies on the NYE thread. They are brilliant, particularly those darling doggies. Much too good to eat!

Since I was here I had a little browse through your recent posts. I feel for you. I have a close friend, fit active guy, no arthritis or anything, loved to teach, who took retirement at 61 from his job teaching kids of the age you have. The sheer unrelenting hard work and the unrealistic and unreasonable demands from management just wore him down. Not to mention all the people who think teachers have all those holidays! It’s not a holiday when you have to spend it recovering. I hope I haven’t made you feel worse because retirement isn’t an option for you. I thought I’d mention it because you seem to think you shouldn’t be feeling so bad. In your situation, you should be proud you are doing so well, and giving so much to others in so many ways.

Wishing you a wonderful 2019
 
So happy for you..:happyfeet:
Hopefully this will be a golden year for you @dogchick !
 
Hi @dogchick

I just popped over to your thread to say I LOVE the picture of cookies on the NYE thread. They are brilliant, particularly those darling doggies. Much too good to eat!

Since I was here I had a little browse through your recent posts. I feel for you. I have a close friend, fit active guy, no arthritis or anything, loved to teach, who took retirement at 61 from his job teaching kids of the age you have. The sheer unrelenting hard work and the unrealistic and unreasonable demands from management just wore him down. Not to mention all the people who think teachers have all those holidays! It’s not a holiday when you have to spend it recovering. I hope I haven’t made you feel worse because retirement isn’t an option for you. I thought I’d mention it because you seem to think you shouldn’t be feeling so bad. In your situation, you should be proud you are doing so well, and giving so much to others in so many ways.

Wishing you a wonderful 2019
Oh my GOODNESS! @Klassy You have totally hit the nail on the head regarding my job! I'm not even 60 and I'm ready to retire. :hairpulling: You are right about having to recover when we have days off. I am so glad that I am not a teacher, I'm a special education paraprofessional. While we are right there in the trenches, dealing directly with the students, and working closely with them, the teachers have all the responsibility and paperwork, and headaches. The way schools here in the U.S. are now, the demands for all (including the students) are ridiculous. I would never want to be a teacher. It's sad that I feel that way, but that's just how it is now. Anyway, thank you for your sweet compliments on the cookies I made. I did enjoy making them, it's just so hard to eat them. :heehee:

You didn't make me feel worse about retirement, it's just how it is. As far as giving to others, I don't really feel like I'm giving much of anything to anyone to be honest. But thank you for that. :friends: I think I just put a lot of pressure on myself over things that maybe aren't always controllable by me and then I feel like I have to do this or that before this happens or that happens and then I take on too much and stress out to the point of being stuck. Yep...it's a vicious cycle. I need to learn to let some things go and be able to feel like everything will still be ok. :good-bad:
 
Happy New Year, dogchick!
I hope 2019 is all you want it to be.
Make it happen, I know you can. I have faith in you.
Big hugs :console2:
@dogchick
 
Happy Friday! :hi:
I hope you had a nice Christmas. @dogchick
It sounds like you created some memories with your son's to add to your Christmas Cookie Decorating Memory Bank, lol.

Hopefully you'll get an appt soon to have some one help you work through all that's holding you back.
We're here for you.

Enjoy the weekend!
I did enjoy my break for sure. I still haven't made the phone call, I dislike the phone, don't like talking on it, don't like being interrupted by it, I get anxiety when I have to talk to strangers on it because I get a sort of stage fright where I don't say what I need to say, or I can't seem to communicate clearly what I'm trying to say and then I get frustrated with myself, etc. I'm so much better communicating through written word. LOL! I hope you enjoyed your holiday as well. :)

So happy for you..:happyfeet:
Hopefully this will be a golden year for you @dogchick !
Thank you! I hope it's going to be a good year. The last several years have been a struggle. I'm hoping to be finally turning a corner. Here's some good news, I have a 9yr. old chicken who hasn't laid eggs in forever, and she suddenly has started laying eggs! We've gotten 7 eggs from her in the past 9 days. :yes!: She's not a freeloader anymore. :snork:
 
How about you write down what you want to say and then make the phone call using your script.
Pretend you're an actress running lines.....give it your best shot. You can do it!!
@dogchick
You're only talking to another person who has to put on fresh undies everyday, just like you.
 
Happy New Year @dogchick.

I dislike the phone, don't like talking on it, don't like being interrupted by it, I get anxiety when I have to talk to strangers on it because I get a sort of stage fright where I don't say what I need to say, or I can't seem to communicate clearly what I'm trying to say and then I get frustrated with myself, etc. I'm so much better communicating through written word. LOL! :)

I am exactly the same and would rather e-mail. Also, I don't use a mobile so no texting for me either! I am a sort of oddball in this respect as Portugal has the highest rate of mobile phone users in Europe, so much so most homes do not have landlines as a household of 4 will have 4 mobiles! In saying that we have three here, hubby has two cards in his, uses one for the TVs and to remote control electrical items in the home when we are out.:scratch: and there is one for me to take when I go out alone for emergency use (not that I have done that in over15 months. :whistle:

Anyway, off the track, but pleased you seem to be doing reasonably well and well done to your chicken.
:chuck:
 
Hello Hippie Friends!
It's been a couple of weeks I think since I've posted. I am about 6-1/2 months out from my surgery.

Assisted Walking: I feel like I've really come a long way since my surgery, which is great, but I feel stuck at the level I'm at now. I am still unable to go completely without my cane. Granted, I spend most of my workday without the cane. I use it when I first get to work, to walk to the office, sign in, and back to my room, because I'm usually pretty sore and stiff first thing. I usually set it aside for the rest of the workday unless I'm feeling overly sore or painful. I use my cane when I'm going upstairs (actually, I use the elevator to go up, but bring the cane for when I go down). And I use the cane going down the stairs. Anytime I'm in a large group of people, or feel the need to be more steady for whatever reason, I use my cane.

Energy drain: By the end of my workday, I am fully exhausted. I have to take a nap, usually between 1-1/2 to 2 hours! Sometimes I need to go to the store to pick up something to make for dinner or if I need something for myself, but honestly, I just CANNOT even THINK about doing it, I am so wiped out. I don't think DogDude totally understands how complete this tiredness is. I can get home fine, but just the thought of having to drive further and get out to shop then come home and put things away after a workday is absolutely overwhelming, and I worry that I can't keep my eyes open so I don't go, and often times will do without something I need because I just can't do it.

Pain with movements: I can't seem to put my finger on it, but sometimes when I move, I get a very sharp pain, where I gasp and have to stop whatever I'm doing and wait. It's a very sharp pain, but it's not just a quick to go away, it just very slowly recedes. I'm going to pay more attention to what movement I'm doing when this happens. I know sometimes it happens when I've been sitting in a chair that is maybe a half inch to an inch lower than the ones I usually sit in at work, and I go to get up. It's strange that such a small amount makes that much of a difference. That is not the only time, but that's one of the times that I can remember happening this week at work. Also, I did have that cortisone shot for bursitis, but to be honest, I don't think it has done anything at all for me. I still have all the pain and stiffness that I've been having. So now I'm questioning if I actually do have bursitis, though, because of a previous injury where I also herniated a disk, I wouldn't be surprised if I do. Oh, and sometimes when getting into my car, I'll move just right and get that sharp pain too. The outside side of my leg is still very sore and tender.

Personal care tasks: Well, here's where I feel kind of stuck. I'm unable to put a sock on my surgical side foot without my sock assistant. It is very difficult to reach the laces on my boots for that foot as well. I desperately need lotion on my foot, which I can barely reach, and my nails need trimming. I can manage to do all that stuff, very awkwardly, and just barely can reach, but once I do it, I get pain, and I have trouble walking on it after doing any of those things. My right leg/foot (non-surgical side) is fine, I have no trouble reaching that foot without using the sock assistant, I trim my nails no problem. Getting out of chairs can be hard if they aren't high enough. Sometimes I can't tell if they are high enough until I actually sit in them and try to get up and find I need to use my cane to push myself up. I am still using the high potty because of this. I did try a regular toilet and found that I really struggled to get out of it. So I am still using the handicap bathroom for the supportive bars to pull/push myself up.

In other News: I have not gone to the gym as my surgeon's assistant suggested, I don't feel comfortable being on my own like that for one reason, and I am unable to pay for the gym for another. I have not called the office but I have an appointment coming up next week which I am going to have to reschedule because I have a baby shower to go to. I am hoping when I reschedule that maybe I'll get Dr. Reagan and not his assistant. I think he will go ahead and prescribe PT for me since he wanted me to go longer before. I also have not called a Therapist yet, I know, I know, I need to. I just feel like a chicken with it's head cut off, then come home and need the nap. By the time I wake up it's too late to call and they aren't open on weekends. I know...excuses.

Also, another thing going on with me lately is that when I'm walking sometimes, my op leg/hip will just give out on me for no apparent reason. It's scary because I worry that one of these times I'm going to fall because of it. I've been able to catch myself so far, and thankfully I've had a co-worker with me when it's happened at work. I think I'm just a mess. LOL! Could this be a problem with a nerve?

Today: Today, we had a going-away party for my Mom, step-dad, sister, nephew and niece. They are moving to Kentucky (I'm in Connecticut) in a couple of weeks. I was happy for them when I first found out a few months ago, but when I went to write out the card, it suddenly hit me that I won't have any of my family in Connecticut anymore, and I cried. Then when we got to the party, as soon as I saw them I started crying when I was hugging them. I'm such a sap. I don't see them often, but they have always been here when I am able to go visit. My mom is unable to walk, my step-dad has heart problems and my sister is their caretaker. I am going to miss them. But now I have a new place to visit. That's always good for a travelers heart. Anyway, the chairs in the place were a little bit lower than they should have been for me, so I had to use my cane to get up out of the chairs. Good News: I DID get up and do the Cha Cha Slide
I didn't do the criss-cross or the hops, but I did my best for the other stuff. It felt good being able to do most of the movements, even though I was pretty sore after. LOL! I slow-danced with my sister because we are goofy and I really couldn't do any of the faster dances without worrying about my leg giving out...I was the man....:heehee:
Anyway, below are a couple of pictures. I'm the one on the left in red. My mom is on the right here. Between our heads is a little bald man...that's my stepdad, and at the table behind us is a bald man talking to a man in black (not Johnny Cash :heehee:) standing up...the bald guy is Dog dude. My sister is standing with her back to us talking to another lady.

[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

And the Three of us, Me, Mom, and Sis
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
Last edited:
Nice pics of you, mom and sis! I see a family resemblance. Especially between you and your mom. I'm sorry they're moving and it's making you sad. It's all about LOVE, they love you, you love them, if not your heart wouldn't be hurting. They will be only a phone call away, or a vacation away, as you've mentioned.

Assisted Walking:
I'm wondering if you've just become dependent on the cane? If you can walk without it for the majority of the day could it be you're using it as a pacifier of sorts, you find it comforting but it's not really a necessity? I'd try to go longer and further without relying on it, just as an exercise to see if you can. If you try and find it difficult, no shame in going back to it a little longer.

Energy Drain:
I understand to a point. I've been there and your body is healing from the trauma of a major surgery. However, I'm wondering if you need MORE exercise to re-energize yourself. Like a walk outside in the fresh air during lunchtime at school. Or a walk through the halls after school, when the halls aren't packed with foot traffic.
It would help clear your head also and get those "feel good" endorphins going which are mood boosters.

Pain With Movements:
Where is the pain? Have called your OS to speak with a member of his care team? I'm sure through asking you some questions they'd be able to offer reassurance, otherwise your scheduled office visit will hopefully be enlightening, bringing you answers and with any luck, relief. A sharp pain that causes you to gasp, as you described it, shouldn't be ignored.

Personal Care:
See if you're able to clip your nails and put on socks by sitting on a sofa or bed, and opening your op hip so that the outside of your upper thigh is laying on the sofa or bed, drawing your foot closer that way. That's what worked for me. Try a step (on a staircase) or a step stool to tie your shoe. I still do it because it's easier and I'm not as young and limber as I once was. As far as the toilet riser, wondering if it would help your strength and balance to practice getting up and down off a kitchen chair (unassisted) several times in a row, daily. Might be worth a try.

In Other News:
Consider addressing your pain issues over attending the baby shower. You could send a gift and take care of yourself simultaneously. In scheduling your Orthopedic appointments, tell them who you prefer to see, all they can do is deny your request. You really should keep your appt. Especially because you shared that while walking at times, your leg suddenly gives out. You mentioned it's scary and you feel as though you'll fall. No one here can diagnosis what it is, or if it's nerve related. You really need to see your OS.

You're right, it does seem like you make excuses in scheduling an appointment with a therapist. It wouldn't take more than a minute, or two, to make the call. You could do it at work on a break if necessary. I'ts concerning because it seems you're needing help or reassurance, but you're STUCK. It would be nice to see you content, living without pain, moving forward, living your best life. Not spinning your wheels. Please help yourself get to that point. We care and we're here for you, but we are limited in what we're able to do to help.

Wishing you courage to do the things you need to do, peace of mind and comfort. I hope you have a nice week!
@dogchick
 
Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling with some things. I hope you can get the help you need.

You do look lovely in red!
 
Hope you get your consultation very soon.
Its not easy moving forward without support and advice.
Sometimes we need a mirror to reflect back to us our progress. I feel lucky to have a Physio who knows me well and my Pilates teacher. I wouldn't want to be in charge of my own progress at a gym without support and a personal programme with reviews.
Good luck in finding a way forward. Six months isn't easy - we are still healing.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi All, it's been so long since I've posted that my thread had been relegated to page 9. LOL! Just wanted to pop in quickly. Just wanted to say hello and say that things are plugging along. Good days and not as good days. I've been noticing some little improvements since my last post in movements, etc. I don't have much type to give details, but some things are looking up. :) Hope all are doing well!
 
Great news! Good days and bad days...we all have them. I'm happy to read you've noticed progress since you last posted. That's encouraging. With time left to heal, I hope it only gets better for you.:yes:
Enjoy the week and thanks for updating!
@dogchick
 
Back
Top Bottom