THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Lovely flowers and so nice of your union to send them. Glad to hear about the cane and use of, sounds like it will be gone for good shortly! I hope you get the transfer back into nicer territory soon.
 
How about you @Bone-obo, have you mastered that task yet?
The sock thing? Yep: sitting on the edge of the bed, I can get my right knee close enough to my chest to reach my foot pretty easily. The LEFT foot, however, still requires special treatment for now. And the glute pain? Yeah, that's a thing for me, too, mostly because I can finally bend my legs enough to activate them. Being a guy, I considered muscle pain (as long as I didn't rip anything loose from its moorings) to be a Good Thing. We're weird.

Sorry to hear about your travails! It's great you have a good union working on your behalf, but still - who needs the hassle?
 
Nice update @dogchick
Thanks for stopping by.
Love the Mums too! Fall is my favorite time of year.
I hope things change for you in regard to your job.
Best wishes as you continue healing!
 
Sounds as if you've done all you can for the work situation. Its wait and see and look at your options for the future. Yes it seems to be a sock struggle still. I can do it with a big stretch in the glutes but you know sometimes I think, why am I pushing it and out comes the sock aid and on it slips. Its a pesky thing improving gait and getting rid of the limp ... a future ambition for me too. All the very best for the next week.
 
Thank you for the update Dogchicks - I'm sorry to hear about the work situation. While healing, having that kind of stress doesn't help. It does sound like you are at a good place for 3 months post-op and now is when it's important to remember to pace yourself! At 4 months, i can get the shoes and socks on and off but it's still awkward. My OS says to give all these tasks a year and be gentle with myself but it will come. Sending hugs to you and the pup!
 
Hello All,
So, this past Monday, was Columbus day here in the states. Our school has that day off. I had a check up with my OS on Monday. My mom is in a nursing home to get PT, so I went up to visit her. That was after I spent the whole morning cleaning the house. By the time I got home I was bushed! I took a nap. I didn't remember about my appointment until a couple of days later!! OOPS! I'm going to have to call to reschedule and apologize, I guess.

Today, I totally slacked off and pretty much did nothing, just needed a day like that, or at least a full morning. It was nice. When Dogdude got home, we went out and went to several stores to get stuff we needed. Our last stop, (Walmart) I decided to stay in the car with Chocolate Monster, while Dogdude went in. I was feeling a little tired.

While we were out, @wonkyhipoy I was telling Dogdude that I was REALLY struggling this morning trying to get regular socks on my left foot. I was really frustrated because it's getting cooler and I'm going to need to wear socks more often now. I don't have anyone home (and awake) in the mornings to help me, so I just struggle through it. Well, we stopped at Aldi, so I could run in and get the cereal I like real quick. While looking down some of the aisles, what do I happen to see on the shelf?? A Sock Assist gadget!! It was only $5.59! So I bought it. Now to figure out how to use it. LOL! If you had seen me trying to get my left sock on, you probably would have laughed your butt off! :rotfl: I had my foot on the recliner seat, no problem there, but then I had to reach out and try to slip the sock over my toes, and I kept missing, and I was yelling at my toes and my sock, calling them stupid for not cooperating. :snork: I don't know why the little ankle socks are so much easier to put on, but they are. Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it goes with the sock assist tool. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :friends:
 
Lol, I remember this struggle when I first tried the aid. But then found the pamphlet from the pre-op clinic that describes how they use it. Here is what you do. Put the sock on the sock aid so that there is about three inches of the toe sticking out the end (some suggest having all the sock on the sock aid, right to the toe... but Ibhave big feet, so I leave three inches at the toe). The lay it flat on the ground while holding the two straps. Next, inchworm your for into the sock until your toes are at the end. Finally, straight Len your leg and toes, and slowly pull the aid by the straps towards you. One of tip... do this with dry feet. If you just got out of the shower, your sock will stick... needs a Leary’s fitters minutes for your foot to be dry enough... alternatively, you can put powder on your sock.

Here is a good video demonstration of how to use the aid.



Cheers
 
Sounds like you're doing well, @dogchick
You're getting far enough away from surgery that most aren't going to know who dogdude and chocolate monster are. :heehee: May need to start using the words "husband" and "dog" for all the newbies.
It's nice you had a day off this week. Hope you're enjoying the weekend and have a great week to come.
Thanks for the update....stay in touch!
 
Lol, I remember this struggle when I first tried the aid. But then found the pamphlet from the pre-op clinic that describes how they use it. Here is what you do. Put the sock on the sock aid so that there is about three inches of the toe sticking out the end (some suggest having all the sock on the sock aid, right to the toe... but Ibhave big feet, so I leave three inches at the toe). The lay it flat on the ground while holding the two straps. Next, inchworm your for into the sock until your toes are at the end. Finally, straight Len your leg and toes, and slowly pull the aid by the straps towards you. One of tip... do this with dry feet. If you just got out of the shower, your sock will stick... needs a Leary’s fitters minutes for your foot to be dry enough... alternatively, you can put powder on your sock.

Here is a good video demonstration of how to use the aid.

Cheers

I have a different sort of sock aid. It's made by Welby, and it's more like the one in this video:
I used it this morning with some socks that tend to be pretty tight, and it worked like a charm. Yesterday I used the other piece to take off the socks I was wearing and it worked good, I really only need it to slide the sock under my heel, then I can just rub the sock off on the floor. LOL! Same with putting it on, once I have the sock on and over my heel, I can bend my knee so my foot comes up and I can grab the sock and pull it up. Much easier than struggling to get it over my toes and heel without help!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing well, @dogchick
You're getting far enough away from surgery that most aren't going to know who dogdude and chocolate monster are. :heehee: May need to start using the words "husband" and "dog" for all the newbies.
It's nice you had a day off this week. Hope you're enjoying the weekend and have a great week to come.
Thanks for the update....stay in touch!
Oh wow, I didn't even think about that. I guess I just figured the only ones that will read my posts now are people who already "know" me. LOL! I'll keep that in mind.
 
@dogchick....I've sent you a couple of emails and a personal message here on the forum regarding your participation in the ACTIVE Scar Shield test. I have all your photos, but we're missing your input on the final survey. It won't take you long to complete. Please access it via the link in your emails or in the personal message. If for some reason you didn't get the link, just let me know and I'll get it to you quickly. Be sure and tag me if you respond here so I'll see your post quickly.
 
Hello Hipsters!
I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to come by and tell you my impression of my sock assistant that I bought. I'm actually really liking it. I don't really need to use the little "wand" part of it, since once I get the sock on over my heel, I can reach them to pull the sock up, and I just use my other foot to take them off by stepping on the toes and pulling my foot out. The only time I need the wand is when I am wearing tighter socks. The actual part that you put the sock on is great! I was worried about the bands of my socks getting stretched out, but that hasn't happened. I don't need the wand to help hold it in place, since I just use my right foot and hold it in place that way. It's been so easy now to get my socks on and off! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has trouble getting their socks on.

Also, this week, on Wednesday, I brought my cane to work, but I decided to just leave it in my home base room because I'm getting annoyed with the darn thing constantly falling and disrupting class. Plus it is always in the way in the classrooms, so I figured I'd bring it in case I felt the need to use it, but have been walking to all the classrooms without it. I stop in the home room after each class anyway because that's where I keep my "school bag" because there is also not room in the classrooms for me to roll that to all the classrooms. Anyway, so for the past 3 days, I've walked around the school without my cane. The first day, my lower legs were sore and a little crampy. The second day, too, but a little less so. Yesterday was the same, but they were feeling pretty tired for sure. I think I'm good though. I feel like my leg is getting strengthened by not using the cane for the most part. Of course when I'm feeling too much, I will grab it and use it. I don't really use it much at home anymore. Today, I actually took Chocolate Monster (my dog) out to go potty, without my cane! I forgot it in the house and didn't feel like going back in to get it. :heehee: My yard is pretty lumpy, bumpy and slanted because we live on a sort of hill, but I did ok. So, I may be able to get her out on a walk soon, I'm ready to attempt it.

Question: I am finding that my left foot tends to turn in at the toes. I used to be pigeon-toed a little when I was a kid, and long story short, I trained myself when I was a teenager to correct that, so I haven't been walking like that anymore. Now that I have my hip replaced, I'm finding that the left foot is starting to do that again. Has anybody else found that to be true as well? Or am I just weird? :snork: I am doing the same thing I did as a teen to try to correct it, hoping that will work. Hope everyone is feeling well, and advancing in their recoveries. Enjoy your weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
I'll tag @Josephine to come answer your question about your foot starting to turn inward. My suggestion to you would be to make a few appointments with a good therapist who can help you maintain a proper gait. There may be some exercises you can do to target the muscles that will keep this from getting any worse.
 
@dogchick I haven't been on much lately but saw your question about your foot turning in. I noticed the same thing right after my surgery, that the foot on my op leg would turn in slightly when I walked. I told my surgeon about it at my first follow up appointment and he thought it would correct itself as I got the strength back in my leg. I was deliberate about walking with my foot straight for awhile, but it did go away by the time I saw him again at 8 weeks. I also had some mild orthopedic issue as a small child (wore special shoes, or so my mom told me). But I don't remember which leg was affected or if it was both.
 
Well before the op my knee and foot were rotating outwards. I was pleased that they were aligned correctly by the hip replacement. But I imagine a certain amount of warfare is going on because I don't feel the alignment is so naturally perfect any more. Probably muscle memory trying to reassert itself. I guess we have to keep working on things.
Its great when you forget about the stick isn't it. I went supermarket shopping without mine today!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom