THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@Jamie Thanks! I was going to PT, but my insurance company won't allow any more visits. I'd have to pay out of pocket, and I can't do that. The visits reset in January, so if I needed to, I could just ask my OS to prescribe some PT for me and I can go and get some therapy. I'm pretty sure it's like what @jaydub63 said, probably a muscle that is still weak and needs strengthening. I actually corrected my pigeon-toed walk as a teen by deliberately walking with my feet slightly turned out until I was able to walk with my foot pointing straight, naturally. I'm a little nervous about turning my leg out like that right now though, not sure if it will put me in danger of dislocation. I'm hoping it will correct eventually.

@Apricot It is great to be without the cane for sure. I do like to bring it with me if I know there are going to be a lot of people around. Not really because I need it, but people tend to give you a wider path when they see you using a cane. :snork: I don't want to take the chance of being bumped into, tripped, or knocked off balance. :bignono: Thank you, all three of you for your replies and your thoughts.
 
You're being very wise to be a bit cautious. I think your plan of going to see a therapist for a few visits after the first of January is a good one, assuming it's still a problem. Until then, just concentrate on trying to walk with your leg and foot in the proper position. Don't try to overcompensate by turning your foot out.
@Pumpkln and @alexthecat......do you have any exercises dogchick could do or some recommendations for her?
 
dogchick,
My best guess is your gluteal muscles are not working for you, allowing a pigeon toed gait.
You can do gluteal sets, in bed, sitting, or standing. Just squeeze your rear end. 5 to 10x a couple of times a day.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hoping all is going well for you and wishing you all the best moving forward!
@dogchick
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hoping all is going well for you and wishing you all the best moving forward!
@dogchick
Thank you @Layla I can't believe it's already been 4 months...almost 5 months now. You are so good at keeping track and posting. Thank you for that.
I am going to post an update here in a bit, after I finish reading my notifications.
 
You're Welcome!
It's easy to keep track up to four months because they're listed in light blue at the top of the first page.
Beyond that, it's only if you catch, or notice, the date while you're posting, or reading a post.
So...at 4 months post op, you're at your limit, lol.

I will look forward to your update tomorrow. I'm signing off for the night. It's beddy bye time for me.
I hope you're doing well, had a nice Thanksgiving and I'm wishing you a happy holiday season!
Stay in touch :)
@dogchick
 
Good Evening Hippies! I'm back to update my recovery process since I'm not sleeping right now. I think I might have mentioned earlier, that I missed my OS appointment back in October. Life has been super hectic, so I still have not called to reschedule. I need to do that soon, as I have questions and concerns.

While I am doing pretty ok, and I'm able to walk without a cane, I feel like maybe I should still be using it. I especially seem to need it first thing in the morning and anytime I've been sitting for a bit. I feel quite stiff and sore and have a very, very heavy limp. I do bring my cane with me to work in my work bag, but don't really use it because it gets in the way and falls all the time and it gets really annoying, so unless I'm in the special ed room, I tend not to use it. I do find that I am more painful now that I don't use it much. I've been taking Aleve for it. It helps a little. I often am more painful toward the end of the day if I'm not using my cane. I use it at home more than anywhere else just because I don't want to feel so much pain.

I don't really know how to explain the pain. There are some days when I feel like maybe the IT band is so tight (it feels like someone is pulling both ends as far as they can) that it's causing pain in the hip joint area, and all down the side of my leg to my knee. Somedays, it's painful even to the touch. Maybe I should say MOST days this is how it feels. I feel like although I'm not feeling bone pain, I am still having joint pain, plus all the pain down my leg. I thought by this time, things would be doing better, but I almost feel like I've regressed as far as pain. While there are some things that have improved, like being able to move my leg in ways I couldn't do right after surgery, which is a good thing, I feel like the pain has not gotten better, in fact, I feel like it has increased. My foot is still turning in if I'm not being conscious about it's placement when I'm walking. I'm actually hoping that when I see my OS, that he will go ahead and order more PT starting in January since that's when insurance will allow more visits. Could I be more painful BECAUSE I'm not using the cane? I thought maybe if I didn't rely on it so much, that it would help build up the muscles on that leg, but could it be that it's actually making it worse? Also, I'm wondering if massage therapy might be helpful? If my insurance would pay for it, I could do that, otherwise, I'm out of luck for that.

Anyway, that's pretty much my update. I am using my sock assistant still to put my sock on my left foot, that has been working GREAT! If only I could get a show tying helper for my hiking boots, which is what I wear in winter, then I'd be all set. I need to get someone over here to trim the toenails on my left foot since I am having trouble reaching them.

I am feeling sad and frustrated that I am still feeling all this pain. Late Fall and Winter are not very good months for me, emotionally, I tend to fall into a bit of depression. So I do my best to keep myself from falling too far. This year, I feel like I'm beginning to lose the battle. Long story short, over the past few years, we have lost family member after family member (ones we are close to) to death in fairly quick succession, and also a few family friends. I feel like maybe I just haven't been able to grieve for one when the next one happened, over and over again. So, I'm thinking at this point, I need to see a therapist to help me deal with all that so I can finally just move past them all and get back to being me again. The hardest one for me was my cousin who was also my best friend. (And that same weekend, my Grandpa passed away), I can't even go there without breaking down, so I won't, but between all this going on, and still having all the pain, it's getting to be a little more than I can handle. It is amazing how much pain affects your emotional status and your energy level. I'm trying not to show it to my family, trying to make them think I'm not worried that maybe I made a mistake having the surgery (even though my brain knows it was totally the right thing to do, my heart sometimes overrides that and makes me feel a twinge of regret). I'm not looking for sympathy by saying all this, just trying to be honest with how I'm feeling at this time. Maybe it will help someone else. I'm hoping eventually, the pain will be gone. Thanks for reading if you got this far. :)
 
Hi dogchick,
My heart goes out to you in the loss of close family and friends. I'm sorry you're forced to process through excessive grief in quick succession. Add to that any Seasonal Affective Disorder, which it sounds you may suffer, and a slow recovery.....you must feel overwhelmed! Please seek the help you need through therapy, or meds short term, or both, as a bridge back to whatever your normal is.

Also, please take the time on Monday to re-schedule the appointment you missed with your OS last month. Make it a priority. You have some issues you need to work through and you have to take care of yourself so that you can be of use to others. Show yourself some love, you deserve to feel better than you're describing. Don't add the charade of pretending all is normal in front of your family. It's counterproductive. You're in recovery from a major surgery, struggling a bit and you're grieving, it is what it is. You're only feeling a twinge of regret about the surgery because you're neglecting to address issues that need your attention. I saying this in love but I feel like you need a kick in the patootie. You feel stuck to me. I'd say this to any friend or family member struggling as you seem to be.

You shouldn't be walking without an assistive device until you're no longer limping. You may be undermedicated also for the pain you've described. Josephine would suggest Extra Strength Tylenol over Aleve at 1000 mg
every 6 hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. That would include any other medications containing Acetaminophen that you may currently be taking.

Call your OS, get in soon and discuss the issues you're struggling with. It's the only way you'll experience change. The holidays are upon us and can be stress inducing, you need to address your physical and emotional needs and have a plan in place before all comes crashing down. Please pick up the phone Monday morning and make those calls.

I will pray for your comfort, peace of mind and a post here next week that reads you've scheduled appts
to take care of YOU. :prayer: :fingersx:

Big hugs :console2:
@dogchick
 
Last edited:
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
 
It’s not easy to return to work so quickly and look after yourself. I’d encourage you to use one or two canes until your limp has gone. Massage and some more PT sound a good idea. It takes a long time for the muscles to relax. So when you can try to do that. Good luck.
 
Hi dogchick,
My heart goes out to you in the loss of close family and friends. I'm sorry you're forced to process through excessive grief in quick succession. Add to that any Seasonal Affective Disorder, which it sounds you may suffer, and a slow recovery.....you must feel overwhelmed! Please seek the help you need through therapy, or meds short term, or both, as a bridge back to whatever your normal is.

Also, please take the time on Monday to re-schedule the appointment you missed with your OS last month. Make it a priority. You have some issues you need to work through and you have to take care of yourself so that you can be of use to others. Show yourself some love, you deserve to feel better than you're describing. Don't add the charade of pretending all is normal in front of your family. It's counterproductive. You're in recovery from a major surgery, struggling a bit and you're grieving, it is what it is. You're only feeling a twinge of regret about the surgery because you're neglecting to address issues that need your attention. I saying this in love but I feel like you need a kick in the patootie. You feel stuck to me. I'd say this to any friend or family member struggling as you seem to be.

You shouldn't be walking without an assistive device until you're no longer limping. You may be undermedicated also for the pain you've described. Josephine would suggest Extra Strength Tylenol over Aleve at 1000 mg
every 6 hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. That would include any other medications containing Acetaminophen that you may currently be taking.

Call your OS, get in soon and discuss the issues you're struggling with. It's the only way you'll experience change. The holidays are upon us and can be stress inducing, you need to address your physical and emotional needs and have a plan in place before all comes crashing down. Please pick up the phone Monday morning and make those calls.

I will pray for your comfort, peace of mind and a post here next week that reads you've scheduled appts
to take care of YOU. :prayer: :fingersx:

Big hugs :console2:
@dogchick

Layla, as always, you are so right! And you hit the nail on the head when you said I feel "stuck". That's exactly how I would have described my situation. I know I have to call and get an appointment both with my OS and with a therapist. I already have a recommendation and the phone number. I've been wanting to call the OS, but like I said, it's crazy. I can't even call the office on my lunch (1/2 hour) because I barely have time to eat, and my cell phone doesn't get service in that building...I really do NOT like this age group or this school. The staff I work with are great, but I just feel like quitting to be honest, which is yet another issue I'm dealing with besides everything else. I would like to go back to the High school. Anyway, can't do anything about it right now. The only chance I have to call is when I get home from work, I have a very short period of time that I can make a phone call. The only reason I'm "pretending" to be ok with the family is because if I don't, then nothing gets done in the house, then it falls on my husband, who takes it upon himself instead of asking the boys to help. He's got enough going on himself with a new company that just bought out the company he was working for and all the changes there, and at least 3 of the deaths were his family members. Plus, if I show I'm not ok, then he tries to "fix" things...which is not really helpful. :nah: Everything you have mentioned is true though, I do need to get myself sorted out. I will definitely try on Monday to call the OS. The therapist...well, I'm trying, but I'm struggling with just getting to it. I hate phone calls to places I don't know....I get all panicked when I'm on the phone. I might have my niece come over and be here to make me make the call, since it's the therapist she uses. (Her father is one of the people that passed away). Thank you for the kick in the behind...and thank you for the confirmation that I do need to talk about what's going on with my leg. Sometimes I feel like it's just me being paranoid about nothing. Thanks for being a friend. :friends:

" A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try."
Thanks, I'll try to concentrate on that more.
 
Dogchick,
Sorry to hear you are going through so much. Layla has good advice to call your OS on Monday and make an appointment so you can let him know your concerns.
For your cane, one of these may help.
Amazon product ASIN B002VWJYSO
Thanks @Pumpkln I didn't know they sold the feet separately like that. Seems like a lot of money though, my cane didn't even cost that much. LOL!
 
It’s not easy to return to work so quickly and look after yourself. I’d encourage you to use one or two canes until your limp has gone. Massage and some more PT sound a good idea. It takes a long time for the muscles to relax. So when you can try to do that. Good luck.

Thanks @Apricot That seems to be the consensus, that I need to continue using the cane for now. :hissy: I don't want to, just because of the inconvenience, especially in the classrooms. They are so cramped. I have been bringing it to work everyday but just leaving it in my "home base room". I agree with the PT and massage, I'm going to ask my OS about it when I finally get in to see him. Thank you for all your comments and help.:flwrysmile:
 
Think of it this way. You are re-educating your gait and re-balancing your muscles. That feels different to thinking of it as walking badly. Its that pesky muscle memory that we have to retrain. You can do it. It just needs a bit more time.:fingersx:
 
Sounds like your struggling and could really use a day off. Can you use a half day of vacation time to make calls to Drs.? Groupon has,great deals today for massage therapist. I found my chiropractor using one that came with pain consultation. I've only had 3_sessions and feels so much better. My pain went way down, range of motion I increased and my mood has lifted. I too have lost my dad, grandma, father in law and my cousin's fiance in October & November over the past 4 years. I miss them and wish I was w with them in heaven. Hopefully your insurance will cover chiropractic visits and massage therapy. Have a better week. Rely more on your adult age sons by requesting their help and delegating housework.
 
Just checking in to say that I did finally reschedule my appointment with my OS. :ok: I see him on Dec. 21st. I haven't made any appointments for grief therapy yet, too much going on right now, and I just can't wrap my head around more appointments right now.

I've been out sick from work since Tuesday (12-4). I went to work on Monday, and right before lunch I started not feeling well...couldn't really put my finger on it, but wasn't feeling well, then got a headache. I had a dentist appointment right after work, by that time I felt like I had a cold or worse. Got home from that, took my temperature and found out I had a fever of 101.5ºF. By the next morning, I was pretty sure I had bronchitis. Today, I went to the doctors, I still have lowgrade fever (99-100º) and as I suspected, I do have bronchitis. He doesn't want me to go back to work until possibly Monday, that's if things don't get worse. I've been through this before, bronchitis cycles really fast with me, not only does it turn into bronchitis quickly, but it only takes a day or two for it to turn into Pneumonia from there. I am now having to take a prescription cough medicine with codeine, plus a nasal spray (generic Flonase), he wants me to rest for the remainder of the weekend.

Dog Dude left this morning for a business trip to Orlando. I was supposed to drive him to the airport with Chocolate Monster but was so sick and weak, I couldn't do it. I was really disappointed about that. I was looking forward to that. :bawl::cry: I'm happy to say that he arrived safely and will be home late Sunday. But I'm sick and he's not here to make me feel better. :sad: I miss him. Anyway, so had to have Pup Prince #1 get dinner for us tonight. I can't sleep, so I thought I'd come over here and post an update. Oh, and I've been using my cane more often now, so the soreness isn't quite as bad as it was. I can't wait to go to my appointment to find out what he says about everything. Hoping he will prescribe more PT for me. I know he really wanted me to have more PT then what I had, felt like I needed it back then, so I'm pretty sure he will. Ok, I'm just rambling now. Have a good night everyone!
 
Hope you feel better soon. All those coughs and colds in schools hard to avoid. Let everything go and rest; you dserve it.
I’d bring you a pot of chicken soup if I could.
 
Hello there all,
I just got home from my appointment with my OS. Well, actually, I saw his assistant. Anyway, he didn't prescribe PT for me...I was really hoping he would. However, they did x-rays and the joint looks GREAT! I do have bursitis though. *sigh* which is probably where most of my pain is coming from. He gave me a cortisone shot to help with that. I also have quite a bit of weakness, so he told me to go to Planet Fitness and get a membership (it's only $10/month, but not something I can afford right now. Might have to get PupPrince#1 to let me go with him since he has a membership that allows him to bring a "friend". Anyway, he said to work on my quad muscles, and strengthen my abductor muscles and adductor muscles. So he said the recumbent bike and another machine that makes you press to open your legs and press to close them. I don't know what it's called. Of course, he didn't say how often I should go, or how many repetitions or how long on the bike or anything. I guess I'm going to have to call back and find all that out. So, after the swelling goes down from the cortisone, I'm to start that. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do that, since the time I can go may not always be when the son can go. I'm kind of feeling done with everything. I guess I'm just burned out. I want to cry, but I feel stupid crying over something like this when there are people I know that are having much more serious things going on. Anyway, so there's my update for now. I have to go back in 5 weeks.
 
Oh, my sweet baby @dogchick! You've had a miserable few months, haven't you? Please know that I'm so sorry - you are one of my earliest SmartiBuds, and I really hope the best for you! At least at this point you know you're hip joint is fine, so that's good news, and it's always good to give your pain a name - bursitis sounds like something you can figure out! Great! (In fact, I looked it up - tons of info, including recommended exercises.)

Please post as often as you can so we can share in this new journey moving forward! Also so @Layla can offer you advice - how'd she get so wise to be so young?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom