Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Ok, here's my update. I have a lot to say. LOL!
Friday, Aug. 24, 2018: This day, I had to go to PT in the morning. It was a pretty tough session, only because we were working on that weak muscle, we didn't push it too far, but I did get a little sweaty. LOL! I iced at therapy. I had brought Chocolate Monster with me, and on the spur of the moment, I decided to take her to the dog park, IF there were no other dogs or people there. When we got there, there was a couple with their puppy there, so I did let her play a bit with the puppy. They weren't staying, and they weren't actually IN the park, they were on the walk way to the park. So after that, I brought her into the park. She was just sniffing around and I wanted to get some energy out of her, so I ended up walking the whole length of the park and back. She wouldn't really leave me, so that's the only way I could get her moving. It's filled with wood chips, so I had to be careful not to trip, but I did fine, and it was a good test for walking a bit of a distance at work. After that, we went home. I was a little sore, but not bad. That evening, we decided that we were going to the Fair. I love to go through all the animal barns, through the Better Living Building, maybe watch a tractor pull, and of course check out all the vendors and eat food. It is a small Fair, but I did a lot of walking, another good test for walking at work. I was proud of myself, because, while I was pretty sore after, I felt good that I was able to do it without joining the ODIC (Over Did It Club).

Monday, Aug. 27, 2018: First day back to work. We had our "All District" meeting, called Convocation in the morning in the auditorium of the High School, as always. Lots of sitting in the seats. We had the high school staff meeting right afterwards in the library, then Lunch and after that, I probably walked the length of the school about 8 times just getting stuff done. I went straight to PT after that. Another workout, PHEW! I was COMPLETELY exhausted when I got home, but still had to make some taco's for dinner. So I sat for about an hour, then started dinner. I was so exhausted, I didn't even want to expend the energy to fix a taco and eat. I was waivering about even eating anything. Thought maybe I'll just go to bed, but I knew if I went to bed that early, I would be up in the middle of the night....for hours. So, Dogdude offered to fix the taco for me. :roseshwr: He had just gotten home and was probably as tired as me, so that motivated me not to make him do it for me, and I finally got up and made it and ate it. I tried so hard to stay awake until 9pm, but by 7:30pm I just couldn't do it anymore, so I got up and got ready for bed, getting everything ready for tomorrow first. I got in bed at 7:45, and by 8pm....I was completely out! :zzz: I woke up at 3am for about 10 minutes and then back to sleep until 5:30 am when I had to start getting up.

Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018: My 8-Week Anniversary! :yahoo:2nd day back to work. We mostly just cleaned up the kitchen in our room that we are based out of, met with our boss on the 2nd floor to get our assigned students, and other business. Good thing we have an elevator! I can't remember all we did, but I again was walking all over the school, several times and came home pretty tired. Thankfully, I didn't have PT. (I'm sorry this is getting so long!)

Wednesday Aug. 29, 2018: So, today, we only had a half day because of the heat and air quality. Only Freshmen attend. We have a sort of block schedule, so they have 4 classes plus a 25 minute Advisory, each day, There are A-days, and B-days. Today, we spent a few minutes in all 8 classes. Which means that there was a TON of walking and only a few minutes to rest before having to get up and go to the next class. About halfway through, I was actually feeling a strain in my muscle, and it HURT, so I quickly took an Aleve. It took awhile, but it finally helped a bit. After work, I had to run to the store and get a couple of things, then before going into the house, I had to check on my chickens because of the heat. The bigger breeds tend to struggle a bit in this kind of heat, so you have to keep an eye on them. We have 2 bigger breeds, and both of them were panting a lot, so I ran inside (well, hobbled..lol) and grabbed one of the frozen treats that I had made for Chocolate Monster with yogurt, bananas and peanut butter, and brought it out to the chickens to help cool them off a bit. They LOVED it!! I was so happy about that. Anyway, then, back inside, give Chocolate Monster my undivided attention since I just gave the girls one of her treats. LOL! (She got a frozen peanut butter ball I made for her, so she wasn't left out.) Oh, I had to get my stuff out of the car from work and the store and bring it in too. FINALLY, I could sit for a bit. Phew! Each day I seem to be a little bit more, but I sure am wiped out. I usually get wiped out the first month of school anyway, because I have to build up the stamina again. Now I've got the hip thing on top of that. :yawn: However, this week has been good for me. I needed to see that I could do it, without totally dying. LOL! Tomorrow is our first REAL day with the A-day classes. Oh, and did I tell you, I was assigned 1 boy and 1 girl. The girl is in 2 of the same classes as the boy, but I have to follow the boy to all his classes because he has more of a need for help than the girl. I wasn't sure about how that was going to go. I've had girl students for so long. Even though I only have boys for my own kids. I REALLY like this kid though...so far anyway. So I'm happy about that. I think it will be a good year. I try not to cramp his style, so I'm not really walking with him in the hallways, or sitting right next to him. That will happen when we have work to work on though. So, that's been my week so far. Friday will be our B-day, then we have a 3-day weekend.

I have to say thank you ALL who have inquired about how I've been doing. As you can see, it's been a whirlwind, and I haven't had the energy or time to answer everyone, so I'm just letting you know that I've read all your comments and I appreciate the interest. Makes me feel good. :flwrysmile: I am sorry to say that I have not had time to visit other people, but as I start getting used to my schedule, I will stop by and visit when I can. Miss you all, and hope that you are all doing well.
 
Last edited:
Hello @dogchick- It's been awhile since I've been on Bsmart and thought I'd check in on some of my hippie friends. I do hope your return to school goes smoothly. I find taking my cane (which I really don't need now) when I go into crowded situations does create a buffer and people are respectful of that. It will be a good learning for students to understand mobility and disability (temporary as it is for us). I think you are doing well for only 6 or 7 weeks post! I like your idea of moving between classrooms a bit early. I hope they can accommodate that for you. I love the advice above from Mojo333 - go home and assume the ice position!
Hi @luvsibes I have not been on in awhile either. I am also finding that I get "special" treatment when I have my cane. I am not supposed to walk without it right now, other than around the house, but still. It's pretty funny, and sometimes very helpful when people take the time to help you out. I was going to the store today, and walked in, intending to get a cart. The guy in front of me pulled out a cart from the line and said, "Would you like one of these?" That was so nice! I very cheerfully said, "Thank you SO much!" I like to make them feel good if they are taking the time to help me and make me feel good. :flwrysmile: At work, I had doors opened, dropped items picked up, offers for me to sit down, offers for them to go get what I needed at the other end of the school...I love my co-workers, they are awesome! I am now past my 8-week mark so, still, I think I'm doing pretty good. Yep....:ice: That's me! LOL! Thanks for checking in. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound like your adjusting to work quite well. Enjoy the long weekend:)
 
Hope you're able to catch up on some rest over the long weekend.
You're doing well. Two Month Anniversary already on Monday. Time sure flies when you're having fun :heehee:
Keep up the good work!
@dogchick
 
Thanks for updating Dogchick and sounds like you are doing well. Going back to teaching work 8 weeks out is quite daunting. I work at a University and we have a lot of students who walk around glued to their mobile phones who just don’t see me! Before the op I used to try to avoid getting out of my office between 1 and 2:30om which was rush hour for students!

Like the posts about the chickens. My next door neighbour has some and we look after them when she is away and they are adorable. They cluck with happiness when thrown mealworms and can munch up a lettuce in seconds.

Do keep posting when you can as it certainly helps the rest of us..
 
@dogchick congrats on your great recovering and your first feendays back at work. Sounds like things are going well. I haven't checked in for some time and love seeing all your progress. Work gets easier and you are doing great! Enjoy!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're finding your groove back at work.
A great week to you. It's a short one for you :yay:
@dogchick
 
Hello All!
I'm so sorry I have not been around lately. Work has been a little crazy and stressful. Long story, but I was moved from the high school to the Intermediate school (Grades 5-8), I was extremely unhappy about the move, as the chairs are lower, toilets are lower, I ended up having to stand for 3 hours straight, and didn't use the bathroom all day because of that, and frankly, I don't care for working with that age group. I am working in 8th grade. The principal is a power-hungry, not very nice person at all. She doesn't like any sort of weakness and will pick and pick and pick until she gets rid of it, or doesn't see it anymore. I am not the first person she had done this to. She tried to force me to take FMLA because I had a doctors note saying I needed adult-sized chairs in the rooms I was in, and a chance to sit when I needed to. (For those living outside the US, FMLA is Family Leave, they have to hold open your job, but you don't get paid.) Anyway, she was very confrontational about it, so it didn't make for a very nice welcome to the building. I had an appointment with my OS that first day there, after standing for 3 hours and I was in a ton of pain! That's why I got the doctor's note. I was feeling very depressed, stressed completely out, and was very close to quitting my job. But, I decided I wasn't going to let the evil one beat me. It just took me a little while to get to that point, so I couldn't really concentrate on anything else. I am really hoping I will be able to get back to the high school at the very least, for next school year, but I'm trying to make it work for now where I'm at.

Anyway, so that's why I haven't been around here lately. I am doing ok, with my hip I guess. I am still having to use a cane. I am ready to get rid of the thing, it is always in the way, or falling, very annoying, but I am unable to walk correctly without it. I have one more PT visit left on the 27th. The doctor would like me to continue with PT, but my insurance won't pay for any more visits until January. So I'll have to do exercises at home to strengthen that weak muscle. I was really hoping I'd be able to walk without a cane by now, but, I don't see that happening for maybe a couple of months at least. This muscle is taking it's sweet time to get strong. If I am on flat ground, I am able to walk the dog for short distances though. I am able to stand for longer periods than I was able to do before school started. So there is some improvement as far as those things are concerned, but I still can't seem to walk without a limp when not using the cane. Well, there's my update. Hope all my fellow hippies are doing well. I have not had a chance to even check in and read what's going on with anybody. But often think of y'all. :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Sorry about the changes you are forced to endure.
Hopefully things fall into place and you comfortably adjust to the situation.

Try heel-toe walking without the cane, or anytime your limping. See if it makes a difference for you.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@dogchick
 
Great to hear from you Dogchick! Sorry about all the changes at work... keep your positive attitude and this year will pass quickly! My mom was a Paraprofessional for many years, y'all are blessings to many!!
 
Hi @dogchick,

From what I understand, many people need a cane for at least three months... and even then, one of my hockey buddies who had a THR a couple of years ago always kept a walking aid in the car for a year just in case his hip got tired... and he was back on the ice playing hockey at 5 months! No shame in using a cane... hey, that rhymes .

Now that said, I could not use a cane properly. I couldn’t avoid leaning on it, so when I tried to walked without I would limp (plus I strained my darn groin using the thing to boot). So at three weeks out I switched to using two walking poles (also called Nordic poles). They really helped me to walk upright and correct my pre-op wonky walk... I won’t get into the details of that wonky walk, it is in my thread, needles to say I am still learning to walk properly.

At six weeks now, I only use a single pole... nothing around the house. I went back to work part time this week and though I brought the pole, I chose not to use it on days 1 and 2. BIG MISTAKE . In addition to doing to much, I was not walking properly, and moving too quickly. It is amazing, but without the pole, my body went back to thinking everything was back to normal, even if my hip disagreed. So I was walking quickly (and wonky) turning quickly, making sudden twists, etcetera, etcetera. So the pole doesn’t just help me to walk properly, but slows me down and prevents me from hurting myself.

I should mention that the poles are more a balancing tool, and you cannot take as much weight off the hip, but they really help you to walk upright with proper form. Maybe give them a try... pick some up this weekend (make sure you get rubber bottoms for them) and test out walking with on one of your leisurely walks. It they don’t work for you, you can always return them. He is a link to a set on Amazon, but most sports stores and outdoor stores (like REI or MEC) carry them.

Amazon product ASIN B0016688JM
As for your work situation... I’d talk to a lawyer (even if just to know your rights). You may have a rights violation by the principle. I can’t speak for US case law, but under Canadian law, a chronic condition (and associated recovery) must be accommodated (either through special equipment or workplace arrangement). Might be good to get a free consult just so you know where you stand.

Cheers
 
Courage on the new work situation. Your new colleagues may well rally round and support you when they realise what is happening.
Perhaps it is time to discuss your short/medium term physical needs with someone in HR or your union. I have no understanding of how the US school system deploys and manages its staff. I do know that that wouldn't happen in the England as staff are not centrally employed and moved schools. You would also be supported in sitting at a suitable height whilst working with students. So, encouraging you to get your situation reviewed so that you are treated with greater consideration.
Good luck with getting rid of the limp. I join you in that issue.
 
Sorry to hear about this change at work and just when it was going so well for you. I hope you have a Union - certainly in the Uk a workplace has to make “reasonable” adjustments for someone returning to work who has difficulties physically. Should they not and you had to resign (worse case scenario) you may have a case for unfair dismissal. Let’s hope some common sense prevails and you get the help you need...
 
Hi! Good to hear from you. That principal is no pal to you. She is violating your rights under U.S. disability laws. I think your healthcare or disability provider could assist along with a call to HR. Maybe you could bring your own chair, I am comfortable in the folding ones they sell to bring to outdoor events. I would bring 2 with me when I went to the beach or a picnic and use one with a pillow to elevate my leg. I wish you the best with your new position. Remember these 8th grade students need you just as much as the high school ones. They are just a year away from HS but not so good at showing their appreciation. My dad was a 3rd grade teacher for 20+ yrs, then laid off. He found a new job at a vocational high school for kids who couldn't succeed in their regular public school. He passed away in 2015 as a sudden heat attack took him to heaven. At his funeral numerous students came to share with us how much influence he had in their life. Once he was gone they showed their appreciation to his family when we needed to hear it. Teachers make a difference no matter the circumstances. Keep at it
 
Last edited:
Hi @dogchick
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well in your recovery.
Leave us an update one of these days, when you have time.
Take care :)
 
Hello Everyone! First, I want to thank all of you for your support and kind words and advice regarding my work situation. We do have a union, unfortunately, there is really nothing the union can do because of how our contract is written. :headbang: They have been making changes to our contract, but it's slow-going, and right now, they can move you to whatever building they want, when they want, but "will try to give up to a 2-week notice". That's the language used in our contract. I am hoping that further negotiations will change that language at least so that they have to give a 2-week notice. HR was involved in the discussion about taking FMLA, I don't think she agreed with how the principal was being such a hard-"butt" about it, she was actually much kinder about it. I do have a letter of intent sent so that if something becomes available back at the high school, they have to consider me first for the position. That's pretty much all I can do for now. The union is aware of this letter and has a copy, so they said they would absolutely FIGHT for me. For now, I'm ok. I am not thrilled with this particular age group, I just don't have the patience for them, unfortunately.:hairpulling: It's more physically demanding as well. I have seriously considered looking for another job, to be honest. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I carry the health insurance for my family, and it's pretty decent insurance, better than any we can get anywhere else. My husband's company that he works at was just bought by another company, and they actually are offering a really good benefits package, and the insurance is really close to what I have, but mine still is less expensive and offers more than theirs. He also has another company that is pursuing him pretty intensely, but not sure what their benefits are, so he'll be meeting with them again and maybe find out about that. I just have to sit back and bide my time and pray :beg: that next school year I can be back up at the high school. If I'm not, I don't know what I'm going to do. We'll see what my husband's job situation will be by then, I guess. On a happier note, since the Union just found out that I had hip surgery, the social committee decided to send me flowers for a speedy recovery. LOL! They are beautiful Mums! Tons of buds on the plant, so I'm enjoying them.:)
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure


This is getting long, but just wanted to say, that I can't believe it's been 3 months already since my surgery! I still need my cane. But I don't rely on it as much. I am walking around the house a lot without it, and once I'm in a classroom, I tend to set it aside and walk around the room without it, unless I'm feeling sore, or tired, then I need it. Last Saturday, I actually got ambitious and got down on my knees and scrubbed the tub that DESPERATELY needed cleaning, because nobody else was doing it. I also cleaned the toilet and all around it, the sink, the floor, did dishes, cleaned out the refrigerator. By the next day, and pretty much for the whole week, every muscle in my body was crying out and sooo sore! Especially my glutes! I was definitely relying on my cane this week. I find and I can do most things by myself, and get stubborn and insist on doing it myself like a 2-year-old, "I can do it myself!" (Can you hear the two-year-old in your head?) I get annoyed when family offers to help with something I can do, like bend over and pick something up off the floor. I think they are finally realizing that while I enjoy getting help with things I'm unable to do, simple things that I can do, although maybe not quite as easily as I could before, I prefer to do myself. I guess I shouldn't complain. They are awesome! They have been so very supportive, even when it was really very inconvenient for them. Dogdude is still doing all the laundry, because he has not put the other railing back up (it broke off several years ago) on the basement stairs. I told him once it's back up, I'll do the laundry, but not until then. (Motivation?) Anyway, the one thing that I really wish I could do, is put socks on my left foot! With winter closing in soon, I really need to be able to put regular socks on by myself. I can put the little peds on ok, but socks are a different story. I'm fine putting them on my right foot, easy-peasy. But that darn left foot...I can do it myself...but barely, and it's quite the struggle. :skep: I keep hoping that the more I do it, the easier it will get....How about you @Bone-obo, have you mastered that task yet? Well, this got super long...as per usual for me. Thank you again to all of you for your support and kindness. Now I need to run to the store and get some food and supplies that we need. (Poor Chocolate monster has something on her front leg that she keeps licking and won't stop, so I need to get some self-adhesive bandaging to cover it to keep her from licking it, hoping it will heal if she stops.) Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I have Monday off because it's Columbus day here. Yay! :yes!:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom