TKR Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my biggest enemy is fear. Fearing of unknown, and fearing of setback.
Take things one day at a time---do not worry, just keep focusing on the day.

TKR recovery is very much like a roller coaster ride, so there will be ups and downs---set backs will only be temporary---but they do occur.---I know that all too well!

Hang in there and just keep on keepin' on!
 
I am thankful that you feel better! I agree, I don't think I could go through this without BoneSmart friends and information. I would be absolutely terrified without the knowledge and confidence that I have gained here. My daughter and I are preparing for the trip tomorrow. I do not have words to describe how thankful I will be to return to my home! Off to pack.....
 
Update day 23. After 3 days rest, elevated, and ice, my knee still is pretty havey and stiff. I have a PT session this morning. When I went there and told my PT what happen for the last three days, she was very concerned. I also pointed out some new bruise color showing up on my right foot, she called my OS. OS contacted a local hospital and told me to get an ultra-sound immediately in order to check if I have a blood clot problem. I am glade that my PT and my OS took an immediate action. After the ultrasound check, I was told, I do not have a blood clot problem. What a relieve. I better listen to my knee, and just be gentle to him. I just don't understand why most of PT in USA are so worry about numbers. Let the knee heal should be more important then hurting a wounded knee. I hope my pA will be more gentle from now on.
 
You really don't need to depend on the PT being more gentle, because you are now in full control. If it hurts, you say "no thank you, or I must stop now."
I learned this from Bonesmart and am amazed how the pts respect it!



Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Update, day 26th. The first PT after my major set back . My PT was very concerned about my knee , so she called me yesterday. Actually, yesterday was the first day that I could keep both my legs on the floor. Before, I had to elevated my right leg . That is a big progress. Today, when I walked in the PT office, she commented I walked very well. Indeed, my ROM WAS INCREASED TO 110. PT was very pleased. See, Bone-smart friend, patience paid off. As many friends on this site said, do not overdone the exercise. When knee is swollen, it can not bend . How true. My experience is another proof that we better listen to our On my way! Body. Wish everyone has a good recovery.
 
It sounds like you are doing quite well and I am so glad!!!
 
Going into 5th week. One big step ahead. I only need to take hydrocoden 4 times a day instead of 6 times. Plus, I don't need an alarm to remind me taking pills. I just coordinate my med time same as my meal time plus one around 10:00 pm. The swollen is getting better, but my ROM is 108. My OS wants me to reach at 120 by Dec. 5th. After reading this fourm, I will just do the exercise but no tears. If I can reach that goal, that is great. If not, I will not get panic too.
 
You have the perfect mindset for this recovery!!! Good for you! I think you are doing very, very well. You should be proud of your new knee and all you are able to do. After all....you are still fairly early in this recovery and you have PLENTY of time to realize more flexibility of motion.

Just keep doing what you're doing! And, smile......things are lookin' good.
 
You are doing so well!! And I am so glad that you have a good attitude. Be relaxed and you will be brilliant!
 
Jamie, maggie may, thank you for your encouragement. Every time, when I came back from PT, my knee swollen that night, and painful next morning. Is that because I did too much at PT session? Now I could not do anything but elevate and ice because I had PT yesterday.
 
You may very well be overdoing it at PT. I really backed off and benefited from it. If you are having a bad reaction to PT afterward that should tell you your knee is angry!!!
 
After reading this fourm, I will just do the exercise but no tears. If I can reach that goal, that is great. If not, I will not get panic too.
That is very sound and solid thinking. I am not sure why folks put a "I need you here by this date" approach to things.

Be patient, do not panic, and good things will come your way!
 
Every time, when I came back from PT, my knee swollen that night, and painful next morning. Is that because I did too much at PT session?
Most likely. I believe that you knee is sending you a message.

Take a look at these:

First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

I believe that yo may inadvertently trying to do too much, so I would cut back somewhat and just keep icing and elevating and resting afterwards. You will find your limit then and then stay within the envelope.
 
Jamie, maggie may, thank you for your encouragement. Every time, when I came back from PT, my knee swollen that night, and painful next morning. Is that because I did too much at PT session? Now I could not do anything but elevate and ice because I had PT yesterday.
That's exactly what your body is trying to tell you with the pain and swelling....you're doing too much for this point in your recovery. Slow it down and pamper yourself a bit. This is only temporary and things will get better with some rest and ice/elevation. If you have pain, take something for it. You want to keep your pain under control.
 
Going into 6th week. I can drive now! A big improvement. My husband can not drive at night and my son will come back home for Thanksgiving this week. He will land in the evening which means that I need to drive. Therefore, I started to drive this week. It was a great feeling when I managed to drive the first time after TKR. In order to make certain dishes that my son likes, I did grocery shopping. Poor parents, we always give our unconditional love to our children and never dream that they will return the same to us. That is life. Well, that is life. My ROM creeps in to 113. My PT told me to put my right foot (my operated knee) on a chair, and bend as much as I can then hold for 30 second twice for every hour. She said this is a very effective exercise to increase the bend. I will start doing this today. Hope everyone has a good recovery and Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Hwa1538 You are moving along really well :spin: Congratulations. Have a wonderful holiday with your family and keep up the good work :flwrysmile:
 
This is an excellent exercise to work on ROM. If it's uncomfortable to put your leg all the way up on a chair, you can use a stair step instead.
 
That exercise works. Bonesmart friends, if you want to increase your R O M, try this exercise 2 times per hour if possible. Mine has increased to 116.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom