TKR Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends: thank you for your support and encouragement.
Day 4
I use alarm to remind me taking my medicine on time. I take one 5 mg. roxicet (oxycodone and acetaminophen tablets) every 4 hours. I need to eat salty crackers before and after taking pills. Otherwise, I get nausea. I exercises two times a day for about 20 minutes. Pt will come starting tomorrow. My operated leg changes the color from purple to red now. I keep rubbing it, and find it helps a lot. I also ice and elevated my leg most of the time. I sure hope that PT will also adopts bonesmart philosophy not using a lot of force. I'll keep you post.
 
Make sure that they follow the philosophy. I first have a discussion with them asking questions as to what their thoughts are and what I want for my recovery. You are the patient - the smart informed consumer and your desires and needs matter and need to be taken into consideration.
 
Lee: thank you for your advice. I will do that.

Bonny
 
hwa1538 - Thanks for sharing, and I'm praying and hoping for your great recovery!
 
It sounds as though you have a positive and wonderful attitude and that is so important! Well done!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I sure hope that PT will also adopts bonesmart philosophy not using a lot of force.
It is really simple---don't---ever---let them force you to do anything. You are in charge of what you will and will not do, so if they try to force you, the PT session gets interrupted right then and there.

It is your body and your recovery---and, while we actually say that the surgical knee is in charge of setting up the recovery schedule, you are in charge of what the PT is allowed to do and is not allowed to do on your knee or knees. Be your own advocate and do not allow them to hurt you at all!
 
Good advice. I will let you guys know after my pt session.
I over did yesterday with regard to my exercise. My leg is swollen quite bit. It looks like a leg of ham, dark red and fat. It is very stiff with pain. I hardly can bend. I know it will not be an easy pt session. Bonny
 
My fist PT session

I was so scared about PT session after reading so many horrible stories. My god, Tod is so gentle and loving care. He advised me to do more frequent bending and stretches but not forceful. He said the key is moving around as much as I can. This will speed up the recovery. Do not worry about the numbers. When elevating the leg, it should be high enough so fluid inside the knee can drain toward me. I was very happy at the end of the session. Bonny
 
Wonderful news. Sounds like he will give you the right support to begin your recovery.:)
 
One thing I found that helped with my swelling was to do those knee and leg massages in a specific way rubbing the skin from down my leg toward my hip. This is called a lymphatic massage and it forces the fluid (swelling) toward your trunk where it can be expelled from your body. You want to do this massage and then lie down flat for a while because the prone position (like sleeping) is when the body does its purging through the lymph system.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but it certainly did for me. Sometimes I would awaken during the night to swelling and pain and after the massage, my knee was noticeably better.
 
One thing I found that helped with my swelling was to do those knee and leg massages in a specific way rubbing the skin from down my leg toward my hip. This is called a lymphatic massage and it forces the fluid (swelling) toward your trunk where it can be expelled from your body. You want to do this massage and then lie down flat for a while because the prone position (like sleeping) is when the body does its purging through the lymph system.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but it certainly did for me. Sometimes I would awaken during the night to swelling and pain and after the massage, my knee was noticeably better.
Yes, Tod mentioned the same way to massage. I will give it a try. Thanks Jamie.
 
Bonnie I am so glad you got a good PT guy! That makes all the difference! Keep him as long as you can! You are doing great!
Marianne
 
Hi Bronnie: thank you for your encouragement. I read your thread and can feel your pain. I hope your recovery is getting smoother now.
 
Hi Friends. Today is one week from my surgery. It has been up and down. The biggest conflict is between my sleep and taking my medicines on time. For the last two nights, I slept 6 hours which mass up my pain management. As a result, my leg is very stiff. I hardly can put my feet down. Question for you, which is more important, sleep or medicine? Should I use an alarm clock to wake me up taking medicine?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure
You're very lucky to be getting a straight 6 hours of sleep this early in recovery, but taking your pain meds on a schedule the first 6 weeks is really important. So set that clock, take your meds, and go back to sleep.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Judy, you are right I should set up my alarm. Messing up my pain management is not fun. My knee doesn't like it. I will adhere my pill schedule. Thanks.
 
I, too, am amazed that you are sleeping 6 straight hours! I still don't do that at 8 weeks. But I rather think that perhaps the stiffness is because your legs have been unmoving for 6 hours as well as pain medicines fading. Perhaps try slight slight bends or stretches while still lying in bed? I know when I first get up I am stiff, too, for the first bit.
It is important to keep ahead of the pain as well as rest!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom