TKR Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
6th week update
My husband and I flew to San Jose to see my OS for my 6th weeks check up. OS was very pleased with my progress especially about my ROM which was increased from 85 to 125. I remembered even at my 3rd week, my ROM was less than 100.

Lessons learned:
1. The recovery journey is challenge with many ups and downs, pains and disappointments.
2. Pain management is very very important. Do not chase the pain. Take the pills on a regular schedule by using an alarm clock.
3. Give the knee plenty of time to heal. Rest, ice and elevate are all essential elements of this healing process.
4. Patience, lots of patience. Do not rush the process. Listen to your own knee. When the knee is swallon, it can not bend. Forcing only do more harm then good. When knee is in pain or stiff, let it rest. Never over work the knee.
5. Do more small movements (such as gentle bend/ slides) every hour in order to increase the bend instead of using the force, pushing the knee to bend in 30 minutes.
6. The most important, listen to friends from this site, read their threads, and take their
Advice and their support into heart. They are so great to accompany me going through many sleepless nights and to give me hope and encouragements to continue my journey.

My friends, thank you very much especially to those who replied to my posts and providing your valuable advice. No words can describe my appreciation. For those of you still in this process, wish you have a speedy recovery. Happy holidays!!
 
Thank you for your post! I am following you...surgery was November 19. I have had a couple of "Bumps in the road", but there is no question in my mind that the MIS Quad sparing surgery is worth every effort that we have made. The health care professionals in this area have never seen this surgery and they are fascinated! I am walking unassisted by cane and medication is Tylenol and Tramadol. I am careful to ice and elevate. The Kentucky Lake area is iced in this weekend and I am enjoying the view and so very thankful for my new knee!
 
Hi jjillek, I was thinking about you. I am so glad you are doing well. You are right that MIS Quad Sparing TKR does make a difference with regard to the healing process. My PT comments the difference is about three months. In other words, we are three month ahead in comparison with those who had the traditional procedure. Yesterday, I did some shopping, over 30 minutes, and I paid the price today. Yes, ice and elevate today. Be careful on walking on the ice.
 
I am delighted that you are shopping and enjoying life ! Oh no, I am not out walking on ice! It is so beautiful, but I realize how treacherous it could be for me. My neighbors and family have been absolutely marvelous and this home is stuffed...I could live here for a long time without shopping. But a laugh...I had power during the last ice storm so friends and family gathered here and each left with any needed supplies...tissue being the favored item. It became a joke! Well today, my daughter called to see what I needed. My reply was "tissue". My darling son-in-law said, "That is impossible, she is always well stocked!" ....she laughed and told him that there was not a roll on the level where I was living....all paper products were beyond my access! Amazing how we can miss the obvious ! Have a great weekend! Judith
 
Merry Christmas everyone!! I am 8 weeks. My progress has not any dramatic improvement, other than I can use the stairway as a normal person does instead of one step at a time. I feel more comfortable walking and driving. However, my energy is still behind. For instance, I can not clean the 1st floor of my house today. I have to stop. Besides, for the past three days, I have shooting pains from my right side of my operated knee (my right knee). From reading many threads on this fourm, I understand it is my nerve in the leg trying to connect. Right? It is not a pleasant feeling, and I think it made my knee stiff. As a result, my RoM stays at the same, 125. Well, I better be paitient, as learned from this site. I should not complain because my current ROM already adequately to perform my daily activities,

@jjillek, how are you doing? I hope everything goes well with you. I deeded, we have so many things need to appreciate. Even our new knees have not recovered as fast as we wish, but we know they will eventually getting better. Thank God, we are so lucky to have this new knee instead of the old ones. Think positive everyone! God will help us.
 
And Merry Merry back at you.
I think energy is the last thing to return, as we get run down from the surgery, the meds and then the general lack of activity for weeks on end. What I found after No. 1 was, the more I was able to do, the more energy I had. The better I slept, the more energy. The less meds, the more energy.
Which explains why I had tons of energy going into No. 2 -- and now have none again.
The 125 ROM is terrific, by the way. Good for you.
 
  • @pdx, thank you for your advice about energy. I have tried to cut down my pain med. now I only take one per day. Starting next week, I will cut out completely, and I should walk more. To be honest, I am afraid of walking too long because it may make my knee to get Stiff. I know walking is the best exercise for our body.
 
Goodness, if you still need meds for pain, don't ditch them entirely! And don't overdo the exercise -- it's a balance. Sitting around and expecting to improve doesn't work. Overwork doesn't, either!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom