Guest viewing is limited

TKR Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
500 miles home
11/7 was my first check up with op; he said that I did well. See me another 4 weeks and expect me can bend 125. As 500 miles is too far for hubby to drive, we decide to split this drive in two days. We drove 100 mails and stayed in a hotel, then continued the remaining 480 miles home. I sat in the front and pushed the seat way back. I then put a 24-bottle water pack at the bottom of my seat, add a pillow on top. Now I can rest my leg on top of this pillow. Average about 1.5 hours, we made a rest stop. Finally we made home, a lot better then I anticipated. Thus, jjillek, do not worry. It will be ok for you. However, when we got the bed at home last night, we were totally exhausted. Today, I took easy, did not do much . Only walked down stairs and stayed down family room for whole, and then walked up stairs to my bedroom. It's been fine.
 
Thank you so much for your update! The case of water with a pillow is such a great idea...I thought I would have to sit in the back seat (Lincoln MKX..SUV) with right leg supported by pillows. I would much rather be in the front! I am so pleased that you are home and doing well! Please continue to post! Again, thank you!
 
Both hospital staff and PT told me it is not safe to sit in the back seat and put leg on the seat. They all said do sit in the front and stop for every one and half hour. Good luck to your procedure jjillek. Post your progress. We care.
 
Oh my, thank you very much! I truly appreciate the information! I hope you are doing well, and yes, I will post my progress. I am preparing my home for the recovery period and really looking forward to returning after surgery. The weather is so beautiful and the leaves are turning, I love every moment !
 
Both hospital staff and PT told me it is not safe to sit in the back seat and put leg on the seat.
There are a lot of opinions and very little substantive evidence on this. Do what you feel comfortable doing but always wear a seat belt!
 
Day 18, 1st appointment with an outpaient PT. Today I met the new PT near my house. She is vert nice and does not use too much force. My ROM stucks at 96. My OS askes for 125 by 12/5. I don't know how I can achieve it. PA rubbed the muscles near my scar, where is very tight. I think that restricted me to bend. Any suggestion on how to expend my bend without using too much force?
 
You are not yet 3 weeks and you are worrying about getting 125? I think you are doing very well at 96 at this point!!! I don't understand the deadline set for dec 5th. You have plenty of time and really you are doing great!
Take your time, stretch, give yourself time to heal.
Well done!!
 
Thanks maggie may for your encouragement. Today (day 20), my rom has increased to 102. I am happy. However, I did use every opportunity to move my knee with bending motions, plus did all home exercise twice yesterday. PT said that I made good progress. Of course, every time when I moved or bended my knee, it is not comfortable. Besides, I take 1 5/325 Oxycodone and acetaminophen every 4 hours, I also took 2 Advil with each meal. I record these, so other friends can use it for reference. Wish everyone has good recovery. Bonny
 
I do think you are doing quite well. As a matter of fact you may be pushing yourself too hard. On my 20th day I was pushing hard and in lots of pain and a very good home PT came here and told me that I had to back off. My rom at that time was about 90. So I did back off and have ever since. My numbers are great 120 and 2 and I am doing much better. I am stopping outpatient PT after Monday then I will continue t home. I am at week 10.
Positive thoughts and energy!!!
 
Thank you for your notes! I am so thankful that you are doing well! I am doing those last details to prepare for surgery and the trip.
 
maggie may, thank you for your good advice. I will not push my self to a pain. Woe, 120. you have made a good progress. I don't know how many PT sessions that my insurance will pay for. My op wants me to increase my RoM to 120. My appointment with op is 12/5. I hope I can reach that goal by that time. Right now I made 105.
 
I want to make a note regarding recovery process. Quite a fer of bonesmart friends comment that their recovery processs are quite slow and wander why some people made such a fast recovery. Now after my personal experience, I can say that different operation procedures do make a difference. This observation also confirmed by my PT. She commented that I made a very fast reovery ( almost 3 month ahead in comparison with others) and asked who did my TKR . When I told her I traveled 500 miles, she said that she can understand why. My point here is to let others know that because quad sparing (MIS) TKR does not cut the front tendon and less other soft tissues around the knee, the incision is only 3-4" long. The length of the scare is no big deal but less trama to the soft tissue make a big difference. I hope more people will look into this and find an experenced(key word) os who specialized in this advanced technolegey to perform the total knee replacement.
 
Thank you! Tuesday is the the day... I am going to Huntsville, AL for the same type surgery. I am so delighted that you are experiencing a rapid recovery! Please continue to post!
 
3 weeks out. I suffered a major setback today. This morning I had another PT session. Yesterday, during my PT session, I managed to ride a stationed bike and my ROM was increased from 96 to 102. I did not understand why PT set up another session today right after yesterday's session. However, I did well, my ROM reached to 106. But, did I feel the pain after I came home. My knee did not like this abuse. As a result, I paid a big price. I could not do anything but elevate my leg and put ice on. It's not over yet. I hope my setback will not last too long. Why did not learn from Bonesmart friends. I guess, I had a senior monument.

jjillek, best luck of your operation. Post your recovery. We care.
 
I am so very sorry! You have been doing so well! I understand that it is sometimes difficult to ignore "professional" advice! We are so programmed to "work hard"! I hope you recover quickly! I am preparing for the trip and cooking for Thanksgiving ...plan to freeze dressing and casseroles. My children and four grandchildren are coming for Thanksgiving dinner...but it will be very different this year! They will be in charge and it will be very casual. I remember one year when I was overwhelmed with work and recovering from surgery, and did not see how I could possibly manage two huge Christmas dinners. Every "corner was cut " after my wise secretary informed me that " Christmas was about Jesus, not china and silver!" I will never forget her and plan to sit back and let the children handle this one. My list of things to be thankful for is very long! You are in my prayers!
 
During the spring of '13 I had some minor knee issues. If it hurt, I would rest it a few minutes and it would be fine. Then came the day that I was In a position when it hurt and I did not stop. Two months of rest, ice, elevation followed...then cortizone, celebrex and rooster comb...when I was finally told that it was bone on bone, I knew what was coming next and began to do research. I never dreamed that my problem was so serious or could get so painful. All that said... I did not stop! It has been six months and I do not plan to overuse my knee during recovery. I sincerely hope I have learned that lesson! Just say no!
 
owever, I did well, my ROM reached to 106. But, did I feel the pain after I came home. My knee did not like this abuse. As a result, I paid a big price. I could not do anything but elevate my leg and put ice on
We have all been our own worst enemy and overdone some things at times. Nothing to worry about---just keep icing and elevating and resting and your knee will return to a "happier frame of mind."
 
So now you take a rest for as long as it takes. No pressure on yourself. If you have PT scheduled and don't feel ready just cancel. I did that this week one day. You will be fine!!!
Be gentle with yourself!
 
How can I go through the recovery process without Bonesmart friends. Thanks to @maggi may, referee54, jjillek. Because your encouraging words, I feel a lot better today. During the past two days, I did not do anything but elevating and icing my knee. Forget about exercises, or numbers. I think my biggest enemy is fear. Fearing of unknown, and fearing of setback. However, your kind words make me understand that occasional setback is normal, and is a part of this process. Just let our own body charts the course of recovery. Again, thank you so much to accompanying me going though this journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom