Guest viewing is limited

TKR Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hwa1538
I hope you are still progressing at your PT. I am at about 17 days since surgery and can't express how important the exercises are as well as the guidance the PT can. To vide.. Go ahead and ask your fears and celebrate success..each degree of more flexion! ( bending your knee)

The people here on Bonesmart.org have been wonderful...responding to me, but also sharing their stories for us

Be well and keep posting?




Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Excellent suggestion maggie may! Wish I had thought of that sooner. I get up and sit in a chair doing rom to get me loosened up.
Doing so IN BED would reduce morning pain and frustration!

Here is a very cute cappuccino for you..I hope you like Starbucks?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 193
Hi friends:

I start using alarm clock to keep me on pill schedules. Thanks to @bottomshlow. Yesterday, PT, Tod came over, and we had another Good session. He did not use force but he encouraged me to do my best. He said I progressed well; therefore, He encourage me not to use any assistance while walking in the room. I found that deep rubbing the muscle helps a lot. Of course, the night Time still is the toughst time. My leg was so stiff and I hardly can put my feet down on the floor. It was so painful, I almost cry, then I remember bonesmart friends advice, patients, and eventually, it will get better. This gives me going. THis morning, after another painful night, I noticed my swellon leg is getting smaller. My patience pays off. Thanks to bonesmart friens. This forum has been so helpful to me. I don't think I can get through without you. Friends who just got the operation, hanging there, we will all get better.
 
Of course, the night Time still is the toughst time. My leg was so stiff
This is all normal and will slowly subside---it does take a while for the swelling to go away, and gravity does its worst during the early times of recovery.

My patience pays off.
This is the key! Time and patience---and you will arrive at your destination of being completely recovered!
 
Question: how do I know if I have scar tissue forming inside the knee? :sos: :sos:
 
Very few people get adhesions---I did, but I was one of the few. Most do not---here is a post from bottomshollow that will help you out.

"lionsm13, everybody develops scar tissue, which softens on its own with time. You are probably thinking of adhesions, which are different, and most people do not develop adhesions.

Adhesions are bands of scar-like tissue that form between two surfaces inside the body and cause them to stick together. Inflammation (swelling), surgery, or injury can cause adhesions to form almost anywhere in the body.

Adhesions around the joints may happen after surgery or trauma, with certain types of arthritis, and with overuse of a joint or tendon.

Once they form, adhesions can become larger or tighter over time. Symptoms or other problems may occur if the adhesions cause an organ or body part to twist, pull out of position, or be unable to move as well. Adhesions in joints, tendons, or ligaments make it harder to move the joint and may cause pain.

Hope this info is helpful to you. Really nice bike, BTW."
 
Hi referee54 , thank you for the info. Due to sever stiffness of my knee, I could not do too much exercises. Thus, I am so afried to get this adhesion. I don' t know should I increase my pain med or because I don't have enough patience. I think It is the anxiety I need to overcome.
 
A better day after using alarm clock for taking pain pills on schedule. Boy, it made a big difference after my pain is under controlled. However, I still had a stiff and painful knee in the morning. It was hard for me to put my feet down. But after few steps, it became better. No problem in the day time. I raise and ice my right knee a lot. Plus messaging helps a lot. I hope tomorrow will be a better day. Bonny
 
I hope tomorrow will be a better day.
Remember---this recovery is very similar to a roller coaster ride. We have good days and some not-so-good days and then, for no apparent reason, we have a real stinker. (I gave up trying to figure out what I had done to cause my two knees to rebel against me!)

Just take 'em as they come---and no that with time and patience, you will arrive at the destination of being fully recovered.
 
Have you tried icing your knee throughout the night? I did that for months and it really helped. I put ice gel packs on the front and back of my knee (they were wrapped in kitchen towels so I could leave them on for hours with no problems). When I would get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and take meds, I'd refresh the ice packs and they were good until morning.

Be sure and put a container or baggie by your bed with some crackers, cookies or brownie bites to take with your pills. It's a little treat and helps keep your tummy calmed down. If you put everything right by the bed, you may not even need to get up and you'll go right back to sleep.
 
What terrific suggestions Jamie !
I have this stiffness and swollen feeling during nights and in the morning. My routine to reduce the extreme discomfort and pain. I go to bathroom, then walk around the house a bit and ice to my ice machine circulator.

GREAT to hear my strategies were reinforced!



Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
GeekGoddess, FYI: It is not necessary to use the "Quote This Message" to reply to a post. This feature should be used only when there is a post or several posts on another topic between your post and the post you want to respond to.

To reply to a post, just scroll down and put your cursor in the dialogue box and start typing.

You can quote a sentence or a section of a post by simply highlighting it and clicking on the "Quote Me" oblong that appears in gray at the end of the highlighted selection. This is frequently a better choice than quoting a whole post.

Please do not be upset by this bit of info---many new members have this very same problem---so you're in very good company---and we're not mad at you---just trying to keep the forum neat and tidy.
 
Day 10 after the operation

I took Jamie 's suggestion using ice on the front and back of my knee whole night. This morning my stiffness was better. Due to severe stiffness and pain, I did not do too much exercise over the weekend, which showed when Tod , my PT came over this morning. Last Friday, my bending reached 100. This morning, it was only 95. He was concerned, and shared his phyolsphy. By the way, Tod had an arm and ankle surgery over the last 10 years. He said that we should not use extream force (causing tears), but he also said that be uses the recovering process is a long journey, could be 6 months, one year or more. To wait until there is no pain then to do exercise is not a correct approach either. He said that many studies show that movements (bending, walking and stretching) are important for the fist 6 weeks from the operation. Tod suggested that I should channel my energy on how to make small movements when I am not put ice on the knee. In other words, do not focus on stiffness and pain (he said thes sould be delt with by pain med and ice). Instead feeling bad for myself, make more frequent small movements (bending, walking, and extension) I think his phyolsphy provides me a different perspective with regard to pain issues. I will give a try and let you know about my result.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Does it make any difference by using quad sparing TKR procedure
Tod is right, Hwa1538. A few gentle stretches and bends just to the point of discomfort off and on all during the day is a good way to go. Walking should be confined to getting to and from bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and your nest during the day spot. A couple to three weeks of this will allow the knee to become more limber. And do take your pain meds on a schedule. Don't wait to be in pain to take them. Pain is NOT conducive to healing---so please take those meds. I took mine for 12 weeks.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Tod's philosophy is exactly what we suggest here on BoneSmart. Most people do very well after surgery with gentle bends, stretches and some walking while they are in the "healing" phase of recovery. Then after several months it's okay to gradually add exercises or activity. I think if you follow this approach, you'll do just fine.

You might want to go back to Post #8 of your thread and re-read the links to articles in our BoneSmart Library that Josephine posted for you. They support this philosophy and explain what you may go through as you journey through recovery.
 
Day 11

Today my knee is magically more cooperative. It is not really magic, it should be contributed to all of you who support me and providing useful advice to me. I focus on small movements and gentle bends, and not worrying so much what I have not done. Jamie is correct that Bonsmart has listed all needed information but maybe we just need more reinforcement.

Today, Tod worked with me to push (genteelly) my bending pass 100. I asked him why some of patients have much more slow recovery process. He said that minimally invasive TKR procedure makes a big difference. No cut on the front muscle and knee cap, no staples. He said can you imaging the front muscles is sliced open with 12" (instead of only 4") cut plus 30 some staples (each one has two holes , adding 60 little wounds), try to bend that knee? My goodness, my knee has enough pain and swollen, I feel sorry to deal with additional cuts nod wounds. I think to travel 500 miles is worth it.
 
I have been waiting for this post! I am so thankful that you are having a good recovery. I am traveling over 200 miles to Huntsville, AL for MIS, (no muscle cut, no ligament cut, no staple) surgery on November 19. There are definitely moments when I am apprehensive!!! I do plan to return to my home after surgery rather than stay in the hotel, with the approval of my surgeon. Thank you for the update!
 
Hi jjillek, good for you and best wishes to your surgery. You probably did a lot of research regarding MIS TKR. Now with my own experience, this is not a pain free recovery process. I still get fair amount of pain and stiffness. However, pain can be reasonably managed. The stiffness is kind difficult to deal with I just put a lot of ice and constantly robbed the muscle next to the knee. My husband help me to make a deep message too. That helps. I still need to put in efforts in bending and stretching. I believe to put in 3 month of hard work in exchange of 20 years of good quality of life is worth. Keep post os your progress, we care.
 
Thank you for your message! I am somewhat concerned about the return trip to my home; however, I know it will be so comfortable to recover in familiar surroundings. I am blessed with a good support system. Please continue to post...I truly appreciate your description of your recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom