Does anyone out there these have these symptoms and concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hoppy Nanny - wow, that is so encouraging. I do think the date will make all the difference in my outlook - I will have a concrete time to look forward to. So happy for you!
 
Can hardly walk. Stairs one at a time. Thinking of working from home for this last month. Can't believe it has come to this!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
@DebraR my surgery is tomorrow (the 27th) and I'm doing it for many of the reasons you mention in your thread. But one thing you wrote about really stood out to me because I experienced the same thing: the fast progression. I couldn't believe it. This past year my hips have deteriorated at warp speed and picking up momentum in the last six months. Just wanted to know you aren't alone in this and that I'm sending best wishes for a good conclusion for you -- in March?
 
@HollyB - good luck on tomorrow's surgery! I will be thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts. Are you having one hips or both done? How long have you been waiting? Yes, I should be getting a call in February for a surgery date in March. I will be a March Musketeer!!! Again, all the best for tomorrow. Please let me know how it goes.
 
@DebraR Yes, fingers crossed for tomorrow! My OS did not recommend bilateral hip surgery so this will be the first one. He told me that, at a minimum, I would need to wait for three months on the second one. I'm guessing that sort of time line depends on how well the rehab goes with tomorrow's hip. He told me we could start planning for the second hip at my six week checkup. I didn't have to wait to schedule the surgery. In fact, I had my first appointment with the OS in late September,2014 and I was scheduled that day for early November although it could have been a little earlier but I wanted some time to prepare. I had to change the date to January 27, 2015 because we had a bit of house renovation (bathrooms) that got delayed. I'm glad I had the extra time to read every book I could find on THRS and find BoneSmart. Thank you so much for your healing thoughts and good wishes. I'll try to detail my adventure for you. Now you rest up and keep your focus on March!
 
HollyB thinking of you! It is early morning on 27th here in UK and I guess in US you are heading for your big day. So lots of warm and wonderful, healing thoughts.

I found euphoria on day 1! Hope you do to. I will be in the hydropool later and by the time I get home I guess you will be in safe hands in recovery. Sooo exciting......

I am on day 11 and although at times it is hard to see it, the speed of progress is amazing. X
 
Good luck @HollyB
Awaiting details of your recovery....thinking of you....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@HollyB - you are 2 days into recovery and I so hope you are doing great. Look forward to hearing all about your adventure into your new life!!!
 
Pre-op testing will be next week!! This is getting real..................but I am so ready. Will be advised of exact March surgery date very soon and will let you all know. :scaredycat:
 
Got my surgery date! March 19th. I am Sooooooooooooooooo ready for this.
 
@Blessed1 - bilateral! Wish I was having bilateral! But the hospital/surgeon does not do them, so I'll have to have 2 separate surgeries.
 
@DebraR my fingers are still crossed on this one!! His assistant was mentioning that he usually does them 3 weeks apart but I really really don't want to have to do that. Might as well replace everything while I'm laying there :)
 
I also have pain on the outside of my hips which my surgeon said could be bursitis. I will have a spinal epidural and as much sedative as I want - the surgeon said that my recovery will be easier as I will be breathing on my own, as opposed to a general. I asked about donating my own blood ahead of time just in case I need a transfusion, and she said that hardly anyone needs a transfusion anymore and that the donated blood was not being used. I think she said that they put a solution of some sort on the replacement site, which stops excessive bleeding.

Debra, hi you and were scheduled the same week for surgery and thanks to your posting on getting around the forum well, I had some of the same questions... I've switched surgeons for the better I am hoping, but it is now 2 wks later April 1st uggghhh. I am spine issues along with left hip pre-op bone to bone pain going on too long because of thinking it was referred pain from my lumbar levels and some is, but this thread gives me more hope and with others who are post-op hipsters highlighting those leg and knee issues can be from hip.

Was wondering in your post about spinal epidural and sedative as much as you want, the surgeon is the one that discussed this with you; that's awesome, my surgeon had his asst do most with confirmed standing x-rays and he was in for 5 min. with me high-pressured too many patients and saying his other pa would get me scheduled but it wouldnt be right away and he was off...I bet I need another appt. with him to cover this as well, as I have concerns about general anesthesia with my age 66. My first THR (right hip) was at 55 and general anesthesia was the choice great woman surgeon from Mayo. I am trying to stay local & close for transportation issues so dealing with best this area can offer and of course concerned. about that :(
 
@Joydancer - I have a woman surgeon. She does 6 per week, and has been doing hip and knee replacements for 20 years. She took the time to answer my questions, but I have a ton more questions now. March 19 can't come soon enough, but I am so scared. Perhaps your surgeon would do a spinal epidural if you asked for it? I want as much sedative as they can safely give me, as I don't want to hear any of what is happening. I am really hoping that all the low back, knee and foot pain goes away after the surgery. I have an issue with an ingrown toenail at the moment and am going to see a podiatrist on Wednesday - I do not want to get an infection and have to delay my surgery! I cannot clip my own toenails so have been relying on the pedicurist, but maybe that was a bad idea, I should have been going to the podiatrist to get them cut properly. I never had any standing x-rays, and I find this odd. Anyone have any opinions on this? Keep in touch, Joydancer.
 
@Josephine - I have another issue perhaps you can answer it. Whenever I lift my left leg (getting the right one replaced first) or bend down, bones in my lower back crack very loudly. It does not hurt but is very disconcerting. Is this something I should be worried about and telling the surgeon? :scare:
 
@Joydancer - I have a woman surgeon. She does 6 per week, and has been doing hip and knee replacements for 20 years. She took the time to answer my questions, but I have a ton more questions now. March 19 can't come soon enough, but I am so scared. Perhaps your surgeon would do a spinal epidural if you asked for it? I want as much sedative as they can safely give me, as I don't want to hear any of what is happening. I am really hoping that all the low back, knee and foot pain goes away after the surgery. I have an issue with an ingrown toenail at the moment and am going to see a podiatrist on Wednesday - I do not want to get an infection and have to delay my surgery! I cannot clip my own toenails so have been relying on the pedicurist, but maybe that was a bad idea, I should have been going to the podiatrist to get them cut properly. I never had any standing x-rays, and I find this odd. Anyone have any opinions on this? Keep in touch, Joydancer.

Debra, I'm going to make an appointment with my surgeon to cover the stuff that I kinow a pre-op appt won't - - that's with the anethesiologist isn't it? Oh, man I'm with ya on the "sedative as they can safely give me, don't want to hear any of what is happening" - - me too! I do much better that way...I had one surgery on a finger fast procedure 20 minutes - - that was only time I would be awake, minor surgery.

Re: standing x-ray - - you saying you "found that odd" - - not really. Surgeons will doing weight-bearing for hip and spine issues that lateral x-rays (hip) & lateral (laying down) mri's (spine) don't show - - functional weight-bearing view. I had angled lateral x-rays, but truly weight bearing is very good for weight-bearing happening on that hip / femur ! It showed the condition of bone-to-bone no cartilage & being advanced & being told by one hip surgeon my advanced spine issues were the problem a year ago, that's when my cartilage was going, so thinking it was possibly more spine than hip + focus on my two fur-baby dogs their health and one being put to sleep than the other. The stage and condition of femur and stability, I believe was the issue & weight bearing x-ray view allowed for him to make that assessment & conclusive no cartilage.
 
Can hardly walk. Stairs one at a time. Thinking of working from home for this last month. Can't believe it has come to this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh gosh, I just caught this post at the top - - hello that was me with <"stairs, one at a time"> (when my dogs were ill and the first surgeon his asst. would not even allow me an appt. with the surgeon, unless I did an intra-articular injection in the hip, because they believed it was all in my spine! Debra, I went to a rollator with a seat on my birthday, dec. 6 cause I would have episodes that were excrutiating.

My right hip was not like this at all, because I didn't have advanced lumbar issues, for medical staff to blame it on my spine! I was on crutches (didn't have rotator cuff issues back 10 yrs ago when I was going into last stage pre-op in 2005) for two weeks & on the surgeon's schedule immediately for the bone-to-bone issue she found that others didn't.

<"Cant believe it has come this !!!!!!"> 10 wks of waiting for surgery (switched from OS who didn't do as many hip surgeries as I would have liked, nor knee complex implants either & now got best surgeon I can get) but yes, another 6 wks wait. Wow, if you have that option to <work out of your home> you did it woman !! I am retired not working, and I couldn't have done any set schedule getting out of the house with a routine at work, even if
I was sitting for where my pain levels were 4 weeks ago (got meds adjusted and more frequency). In fact, to make it long-haul, I am using light weight wheel-chair in the house keeping off my hip & weight bearing on my leg (lumbar issues as well) I do get up for kitchen counter for a few second, bathroom and do stretches, but I'm doing survival here in this long-haul tunnel :( !!! Hey, let us know if you are able to swing the working at home with your 4 wks yet to go - - I sure hope so !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom