Does anyone out there these have these symptoms and concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@copsham - thanks for your post. Yes, the "you'll be fine" and oddly, the jokes people make that, for some reason, they think are funny!!! Like "do you want me to carry you?" or "the two of us will make a chair from our arms and you can sit in it". I just laugh...................they don't mean to say silly things, I guess they don't know what to say. I am looking forward to the time when I don't have to worry about these hips getting in the way of my life and so glad that I have this community of people to help see me through all this. I noticed that you are about 2 months post-op - how are you doing? Do you have a a recovery thread that I can read?
 
@craftdee - I want to thank you for your post too. I was actually in tears as I read your words, it is so nice to know that there are others that are going through (or have went through) the same emotions. Yes, we all deal with things in a different way and you are right, my way is not any "more right" than my husband's. I must admit that I do tend to look on the negative side of things, I guess it's a legacy from both of my parents. I will also try to be more positive, hey, what could it hurt? It is not easy to change the way you have been "self-talking" for 60 years, but I need to do this for my own sanity as well as my hubsband's. Sometimes, though, a hug and a "it will be okay" is all I need, and I can't see why he can't see that! I guess I am also feeling sad, as my very best friend, who I knew for 42 years, passed away from breast cancer three years ago, and I now feel like I have no one to share my deepest feelings with, except my husband. And I have a hard time accepting that my life partner cannot be more of an emotional support during this time. I do understand what you have said, though, and I do agree with you - a more positive outlook can do nothing but help, so I too, will try. You'll see me on the other side soon........
 
"Good on ya" as we say in Oz @DebraR ... you will be "the little engine that can" :SUNsmile: I found it hard to "think positive" too.... at first! Let's face it, the habit of a lifetime is easier to stick to than change, but I have to say it is rewarding and ultimately less tiring to "think happy thoughts", and once I realized it felt better, it was easier to build on.

It's sad you've lost your friend, you'll just have to vent here with the Bonesmarties who've gone before you... not too long now; less than a week, and that will go SO fast!

My laptop's died :boohoo:so I'll be checking in less often (can't disguise sitting at the desk with the PC the way you can with a laptop :heehee: but I'll be thinking of you every day :console2:
 
Debra - I am almost 2 weeks post op and wanted you to know that it was the very best decision I have ever made in my life. Every day I marvel that my pain is gone...in fact that was my very first thought in the recovery room and it felt like a miracle to me. That being said..I am one of the biggest medical wimps around. It is very lucky that other than my hip I am extremely healthy because I had extreme medical phobias. I was so terrified of needles that I hadn't gone to an internist in over 15 years - so you can imagine the terror I felt even thinking of what was going to happen to me in the operating room. But I really got to the place where there was no choice - have the operation or be in pain, immobile, and unable to support myself. Now, here is the amazing thing that happens to you when you face a fear and conquer it - you gain a confidence that you never knew existed and your world opens up. And, in this case you also lose your pain! Debra - you will do fine, you really will. And stop worrying about whether you are being positive or negative - jeez- just one other thing to beat ourselves up about! I personally prefer to view things in terms of challenges and solutions....figure out the issue and the best way to solve it. We are rooting for you!
 
@mydog - thank so much for your encouraging words! I cannot believe how lucky I am to have found this valuable support system, so look for me on the other side - one week from today, I will have my new hip! You sound so wonderful!!!!! and only 2 week post op. I am so looking forward to not having this pain and gaining my enjoyment of life. Thank you a million times.
 
Hello @DebraR,
Yes I am 8 weeks now. It seems like eternity since the hip op and strangely it also seems like yesterday. My recovery thread is "copshams recovery" thread. Do bear in mind when you read it that I am the most anxious person in the world, petrified of any medical intervention and prepared to try alternatives. If I can survive the process anyone can. What is amazing to me is the whole emotional process. It feels like you are so vulnerable and pathetic one minute, not in control the next, then strangely leaps and bounds with progress, able to have less pain meds, able to walk with just one cane, less tiredness etc etc. The biggest discovery for me was the need to be patient, PATIENT as some said the hip decides the progress not you!!!

I feel a bit crazy at the moment, quite elated with the things that I am beginning to be able to do. I went to an exhibition this afternoon, the first for at least three years so at least I am going in the right direction Whooppee!!

It is so hard to reassure "newbies", I think we all feel so unique ("it might have been all right for you but I am different" would have been my response!). Now having been through it I can honestly say it is a HUGE experience both positive and difficult but amazingly it all fades in to history ever so quickly!

Keep posting!
Karen
 
@Josephine - I have a toenail that is a little ingrown - wondering if this would ever cause my surgery to be postponed? I will be devastated if they postpone because of this!!!! My surgery is this Thursday!!!
 
It shouldn't be a problem providing it's not infected. If you're concerned, give your doctor's office a call.
 
Hi Debra - OMG - right before my surgery I got a slight rash on my chest and also was upset about an ingrown toenail. I was afraid it would postpone my surgery. Don't worry...it won't. If it is not infected, don't worry about it.
Debra - you are ready my friend! You know you are when you are worried that something might interfere with your surgery date....that it is great sign! It means you really are ready.

We are all here for you....and, you will be fine!

Sheila
 
@mydog - Sheila - you bet I am ready. I am existing on Tylenol Arthritis for these last 2 days, and it is not fun. I am worried about the toenail thing and will certainly mention it on Thursday when I arrive at the hospital. If you hear a scream all the way from Montreal, you'll know that they postponed it........!!!!!! I am so shivery and nervous right now, it's just the thought of the surgery I think. Cramps in my stomach, shivers, I have felt this before when I have been extremely nervous, so I'm not thinking that it is anything more sinister than that. Just want to have this done and get back home. Will worry about the other hip at my 6 week appointment - lucky me to have two bum hips!!!!
 
So I brought home the toilet seat riser (with arms) today and it doesn't fit on our toilet as our toilet is not standard, it's more oblong. They won't take it back (understandable) so maybe I can sell it, it was never used. Before I go and buy another type, can anyone tell me if I will actually need it? I am 5'2" and weigh about 120lbs. My neighbour just told me that her 90 year old mother had a hip replacement, had one of these toilet risers, and never used it! What do you think?
 
I think it is quite manageable without and I am 5'1". I used our upstairs toilet without, just be careful re 90 degrees. Having said that I got a toilet seat with arms and used it downstairs and loved it, felt very secure and continued using it longer than necessary - how crazy am I?

Good luck with your op. Will look forward to seeing you on the other side. It all happens so quickly once the waiting is over.
x
 
I had the posterior approach with my surgery and a raised toilet seat was recommended. I'm a rather tall drink of water at 5 feet 8 inches but the seats adjust to different heights. The seats can also be purchased in different shapes so I would guess there is something that will fit your toilet. I was told the height of the toilet (or chair) should be around 19 inches. But one way to measure the height for your individual body is to stand with your back to the toilet (or chair) and make sure the height touches above the bend of your knee. What you're trying to insure is that your hips are higher than your knees when you sit.

But, here's the real trick, in my experience: standing up. You will need to scoot to the front of the toilet (or chair), put the operated leg straight out in front of you and stand without leaning over. I couldn't do this without arms on the toilet or on the chair. I don't have a grab bar next to the toilet and the closest cabinet isn't close enough. Maybe you will be able to stand straight up holding onto a nearby cabinet and a grab bar. I have a friend who said he was able to do that.

I ended up purchasing a toilet seat called The 3-in 1 for about $80 and it has been well worth the price. It serves as a toilet seat by sitting over the toilet so the shape of your current seat doesn't make any difference. It has arms and is very sturdy yet light so it is easily moved. It can be used as a shower seat and it can be used as a portable toilet and brought into the bedroom. There is both a splash guard and an enclosed container that fit underneath the seat. I felt weak and nauseous the first few days after I got home and my husband just moved the trusty 3 -in-1 into the bedroom and I didn't have to struggle to get to the bathroom.

Good luck with this project -- I'm sure you will find the perfect solution for you. But, even more, I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery!
 
@DebraR I borrowed a bedside commode from a Senior Service Center here in my city. Took the "bucket" out and slid the frame over my toilet - that worked great! The legs were adjustable so it fit my height (5'2") and the seat was very comfortable plus other folks could use it without any difficulty. And it was high enough to use without worrying about the hip precautions
 
Hi @DebraR What a pain that you bought a toilet raiser. Our public health system loans us all the "necessities"... I really doubted the need for a raised toilet seat but once I had it I loved it; really missed it when it went back actually - made loo using so easy and I didn't realize how easy it was to "break restrictions" without it. Mine was like the one that HollyB describes, fitting over the toilet without attaching to it, so not dependent on the shape of your toilet.

I'm sure your shivers and "unwell feeling" is nerves... I felt dreadful pre op, thankfully that passed as soon as the surgery was over... not long now and it will be over for you to :)
 
@DebraR If I can read this correctly you will be having surgery tomorrow. Best Wishes for an easy trip to Post-Op!:angel:
 
Hi everyone! I will be posting on the post op side as my surgery was yesterday!!!!
 
Debra, hello and that's just awesome you now being on the "other side" !!!

Good to hear from you !

Hope you first day of rest and recovery went well, post when you can & feel up to it - -
you know we're here and so glad you have your new hip and now on the better side = recovery yeaaah :flwrysmile: !!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom