Does anyone out there these have these symptoms and concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DebbieR - I know how hard it is to wait! I had almost 5 months total from my initial diagnosis, through waiting to see the OS I chose, to another 9 weeks to fit into his schedule for surgery. Not only is the pain unremitting, but it gives us way too much time to be anxious!
Try to focus on all the positive BS stories like mine, take care of your body with healthy eating, ice lots, and try to rest. You have wonderful support from this group as you progress!
 
I do hope you get your 4 March date - that puts a positive spin towards your future without pain and your recovery :)
 
Yes, I am trying to stay positive. Some days it is easier than others. Work Christmas party tomorrow night - no dancing for me, but once this is done, I will be up there all night as I love to dance. Walking is an effort right now. Yes, March forth (4th) would be perfect. 2015 is the year that I will be reborn with no pain. You are all such good support.....................
 
Been feeling very frustrated and sad. I need to get my head in a better space. As all of you know, it just gets harder and harder to "be happy" on a daily basis, as the pain gets in the way of everything. I went to my office party on Friday and my friends put me on a chair in the middle and danced around me! I was touched ( have been working with these people for 30 years, so we are just like family!) but I also felt sad that it has come to this. How do I get past this sadness and get in "attack" mode? I also have a very annoying pain towards the outside of my right foot (it's my right hip that will be replaced first). This must be related to the hip, but it worries me because it seems so random. Thanks for letting me air my thoughts, I just wish they were more uplifting!!!
 
Hi, @DebraR. So sorry to hear how you've been fighting depression. It's a completely normal response to chronic pain and disability! Try to realize that by next Christmas you will likely be dancing circles around the crowd!
I struggled with many of the same feelings during the (seemingly) endless wait for surgery. I wish I had a "magic wand of happiness" to wave over you. . .in lieu of that, sending hugs your way.
I think it is literally one day at a time. Try to enjoy time with loved ones, rest, and ice those hips.
Have you spoken to your doctor about better pain control? My OS wanted me to try both tramadol and narcotics before surgery to help me rest, and to gauge how well they would work post op. I had horrible pain at night, and couldn't have slept at all the last month or 2 without some strong pain meds. I was also taking acetaminophen 1000mg every 8 hours, and meloxicam 15mg once daily.
Don't worry about venting on this forum. . .that's exactly what it's for - to get support and feedback from people who truly understand!
Hugs, Mary
 
@hopefulm (Mary), thanks for the hugs. Yes, one day at a time is the only way to get through this. January should bring some news on exactly when the surgery will be. Christmas shopping today was slow and quite painful but something I wanted to do, in order to not give in to this. I will ice my hips this evening. I am taking naproxen 375mg twice a day and supplementing with 2 Tylenol arthritis 2 or sometimes 3 times a day. I did ask my OS for stronger meds and she gave me dilaudid 2mg but don't take these if I am or will be driving (which is on most days). Thanks for the hugs and the understanding, it is good to know that this is all perfectly normal. I will try to look forward to this time:reindeerlights: next year. One day at a time though.
 
What a lovely gesture from your work mates @DebraR they sound like true colleagues and friends. Hang in there hon, I so appreciate how difficult the waiting and how debilitating the pre op pain becomes. I ended up on a walker for 18 months leaning on the arms of it with my elbows because I could not straighten - I feel your pain xx
 
@Poppet - yes, as I said, we are like family, have gone through marriages, divorces, births, deaths and major illnesses together. I think when I learn the exact date, I can plan more around that date, but for now, it just seems like endless waiting. Sounds like you waited quite awhile before deciding to have surgery? Or did you have to wait because of a waiting list? I find it bad enough that I can hardly walk, but for now, I am still working and not using any aids. I will be sure to let everyone know as soon as I get my date. xo
 
@DebraR - no I was a sook! :) I continued working, but walking was a nightmare. Actually, all up it was 8 years from the first time THR was suggested to me.... x
 
Been feeling very frustrated and sad. I need to get my head in a better space.
I suffer from depression @DebraR, I don't know if you suffer too or if you are "just" frustrated and saddened by your situation. If you are a fellow sufferer, I empathize completely - make sure you stay on top of it... and I don't mean just "think happy thoughts" I mean keep in contact with your primary physician or GP (don't know the Canadian term sorry) as it is something that can be dealt with (for example I had Diazepam for a week or so, which I don't usually take) giving you one less thing to think about.

Fellow Sooky La La here @Poppet I think "denial" is the word that springs to mind. I've had the OA for so long (10 years+) that it wasn't until the extent of the AVN was discovered via a fall in Feb that I finally responded to hubby's nagging "get something done". I thought there would be long waiting lists in the Public System, but when I (finally) went to the OS I was offered a THR nine days later... I chickened out - and nearly chickened out on surgery day (nine days after I went to the OS again and said "I think I'm ready" - think there's a pattern developing there, nine and :chuckmarch::rotfl:

I only had to wait for 9 days after committing to the THR, but I had a kidney stone, gallbladder attack and gallbladder removal op between first been told that THR was the only real option and getting it done, spanning seven months... to be honest it was a double edged sword; having the extra time meant I overthought it (which I regularly do) and having the other medical issues that HAD to be dealt with in the interim gave me something else to think about during that time other than just the hip. The waiting was BAD for me, so I know what you mean.. one thing for sure, the time will pass, you will get your surgery and you will be able to move on... I hope Christmas festivities offer you some distraction:santa hug:
 
Thanks @craftdee - at this point I think it is just sadness as my situation. Hard to believe sometimes that it has come to this. My decline over the last year has been fast. I can remember having issues with my hip way back in 2003 - however was not officially diagnosed with OA until Oct 2013!!!!! I am at work right now so will response to the rest of your post later on today or tomorrow sometime.

Can someone respond to this - I have a friend that had a THR on Sept 30 of this year and is now having femur pain. She has stopped all PT until they can determine what the problem is - does anyone know what this might be and how often this might be a problem (do I have to worry about this?)
 
Hi @DebraR - perhaps you could encourage your friend to join Bonesmart and then Jo our Nurse Director who has 50+ years experience may be able to help.
 
@Poppet - I did tell my friend about Josephine and this forum. She said that she would check it out (I hope she does!!!!)

@craftdee - wow, you have certainly had your share of health issues in the past while. I guess I am most worried about trying to recover from a RTHR while my left hip is almost just as bad as the right one. It scares me. I have exercised my whole life so am not worried about the PT at all, except as it relates to having 2 bad hips, not one to deal with. It seems like it will be quite awhile before I can really start to enjoy my life again. I know a lot of you on this forum have gone through exactly that, but right now I feel that life is on hold until both surgeries have been done.
 
I have a friend that had a THR on Sept 30 of this year and is now having femur pain. She has stopped all PT until they can determine what the problem is - does anyone know what this might be and how often this might be a problem (do I have to worry about this?)
The answer to your question about worrying is no. Literally every THR is different. I had my RTHR on Sept 30 and do not have this issue.

Do have your friend come here for input. There are many factors that could bring on pain - meds, new activity, aggressive PT - the list is long.
 
@DebraR - certainly we can help your friend in so many ways - but your well being is our main focus right now. As Jaycey indicated every recovery is different, with people and our different joints. I know it is easy to let our minds run wild with all sorts of thoughts, however, come here and let us help you work through them x
 
@DebraR. I was just reading your thread. I can empathize with your pain. My last few months before surgery were with such agonizing pain. I am so grateful for this surgery because I feel like I have my life back. I hated limping. My back ached because of it and my knees. I love sleep and I lost so much sleep. Waking up every hour or two because of pain is not sleep. Now I can sleep through the night.

I am so glad your friends danced around you to include you. What an awesome gift.

Before surgery it is one day at a time and after surgery it is one day at a time. I am at week 9. I am off work for 3 months. I thought it was too long. But even at week 9 I get tired. I have done christmas shopping and one day I was out for about 4 hours and my body was done. I needed a nap. The energy is not all the way up to speed. Yet at 6 weeks to go out shopping for 4 hours would never work.

Oh and to answer your yoga question. Your doctor will let you know when you can resume. I have asked mine and he said not yet. He said he would really like me to wait until the 6 month mark. I am sure it is to allow all the muscles to heal.

All my best and Merry Christmas.
 
Merry Christmas to all my fellow Bonesmarties. Thanks @Jaycee and @Poppet. You are all such good support. @xtina16405-I have heard this so many times before, that one day you feel good, so you wonder if you are doing the right thing, the next day, your surgery can't come soon enough. Today is a good day, I am thankful for all the good people in my life. I have to keep reminding myself on these good days, that I cannot cross my legs anymore, nor extend them out to the side very much, or stand for any length of time without back pain. Christmas shopping was a struggle, but managed to do it!!! Getting on the commuter train is a struggle and I don't go to the upper car anymore, as that would mean I'd have to climb more stairs. In any case, you have all been where I am now, so know exactly what I am talking about. I was so active before and will be again next year sometime!

2015 will be a good year. The year I get my life back..........
 
Well, Christmas is over. I had 11 days off and 4 days in, I got a horrible cold. So, needless to say, I did not move much. Hips have felt better, but I think only because I wasn't overdoing it (in fact, as I said, I hardly moved). I will have to start moving around more for the next 2 days before I go back to work, so I can get used to my usual level of activity. I have had trouble with feeling down for the last few days, compounded by my cold and also the fact that, during a dilated eye test, they found a nevus, which they are sending me to a specialist to check out. I am (I believe understandably) nervous about what this is. I have read some information online and they are usually benign freckles (areas of pigmentation) that just need to be watched. I hate being told that my thoughts are negative and that I should be thinking positively. I agree that that is true, however, it is hard sometimes not to think the worst - I guess it's in my nature.

In any case, Happy New Year to all!
 
Hi@hopefulm. How are you doing? Is your unoperated hip still feeling better? I am close to the end of my rope. I just got back from a week in Florida. I went the same time last year and was able to do an hour walk (not without pain, but was able to do it). Hips are so much worse and it is becoming harder and harder to keep a positive outlook on life as I really can't do much at all. I think maybe when I get the date in March, I will be able to look forward to something concrete. I am so worried that my unoperated hip will cause me problems with recovery. Please write and let me know how you are doing.
 
Sorry that your holiday was impeded by those hips @DebraR. Hope you get a surgery date soon.
It was on a holiday in Portugal 2 months before my THR that I realised the op was long overdue for me...I had to use a wheelchair to hang onto for the whole time.....this year I enjoyed a proper holiday, no pain!! Thinking if you... Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom