Does anyone out there these have these symptoms and concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DebraR ! Just reading your thread as I recover from my RTHR on Tuesday, 11/11. I wanted you to know that I had many of the same pre-op symptoms you describe - the lateral hip pain, right sided low back pain, and knee pain. The incision is very sore, with some achy leg muscles, but the back pain and knee pain are gone!! Everyone is different, of course, but it is certainly possible some of the pain you were having was referred hip pain. Best wishes going forward.
 
Thanks for asking, @DebraR. I'm on the slow but sure track to full recovery. (You can read my recovery thread - Out with the old, in with the new - on the recovery side.) I really believe that once I get past some of the incision and muscle related pain I will be virtually pain free - a condition I had almost forgotten! I was concerned about IT band pain cropping up after surgery, but it feels great !
The energy drain is real - I get up frequently to walk up and down my hallway, and am amazed how quickly I tire out. That said, it's nice to give myself permission to rest!
Again, my best wishes coming your way.
Mary
 
Alloway, what does it mean " Buy your husband some earplugs!!" to whom are you suggesting this ?
 
DebraR! Her husband was complaining about her snoring when she lies on her back. She thought it was a good idea...
 
@PhatTxDiva Thanks for your support. Looks like you made it through. As for me, can't sleep a wink.... Just came in from off the terrace trying to get a glimpse of the massive meteor shower tonight.
The other day I was reading something you wrote to a new member about the knee pain and what felt like shin splints you had before surgery, and then Wham Oh!
All gone ! I was smiling from ear to ear because I know that pain all to well.
Then I really smiled when you said both feet were now facing forward.
Yes, yes, yes, the old outward turning of ones foot. It seems like my right foot is now at 3 o'clock.
If I could just get it back to 1 o'clock I'll be happy.
Anyway, didn't see anything in the sky tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebraR And welcome to BoneSmart. I was reading the very first response to your thread by PhatTxDiva and I also have pretty much the same pains as you. I'm getting my right hip replaced Friday and my left one sometime in February.
Sure I'm afraid but finally deciding to do something about it is a huge leap in the right direction.
I'm glad your here now amongst friends because the members here will walk with you all the way.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am very happy to see so many people sharing their experiences. I have gained lot of confidence by reading so many elders giving update of their experiences. I have undergone second hip surgery. Now I am trying to regain my previous briskness. I am suffering from footdrop and swelling in the foot. This second surgery has resulted in difference of one and a half inch between two legs. Please help me how to cope up with all these and recover fast. Few say that at this age you will be definitely alright and will become normal. I wish to ride bike like earlier. I feel I have so many uncles and aunts and grannies in the forum who could give me confidence and guide me for speedy and steady recovery.

Welcome @footdrop I suggest you start a thread of your own in the Hip recovery section, as you have indicated that you are post surgery. This way we can provide individual advice, information and answer your specific questions. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, other members will pop by and this provides the opportunity for you and your questions and concerns to receive the attention they deserve.
 
@ 2 for Jeff - Good luck on Friday!!! Please post as soon as you can. I am so looking forward to my March 2015 surgery on right hip, I will then have to deal with the left one sometime after that. I am not anxious yet but I know I will be and I will be writing everyone daily (or more often!) for this wonderful support. Will be thinking of you on Friday and sending healing vibes your way.................
 
@DebraR , Hi, I had 2 bad hips and i got my first OS appointment and the Doc said he did not do Bilateral THR, I asked him why he advertised it. Done,wasted my time. Went6 weeks later and OS says " you sure need to have both hips done" YEA! I had BTHR in July Mini-Posterior and i had a perfect recovery. One time going to Hospital, one chance of infection, being knocked out once and one very painless recovery. When others were worried about their second surgery i was back working. Good Luck and get the best OS you can get.
 
@Michegon, thanks for your post. I have heard differing opinions on the bilateral vs two separate surgeries. My surgeon is very well respected here in Montreal, and I have confidence in her decisions. I will, however, ask her again why she does not do bilateral. Perhaps she just does not do them, or perhaps I am just not a good candidate. I had so many questions when I saw her, that she may have already told me why, but I don't remember. Sounds like you had a great experience! That's great. Hope it goes well for me. I have been so weepy lately, not sure why. Guess it's just the reality that I need to get this done. Fear of the unknown. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and library, so that will help. I bought myself a reacher and a sock aid today. I was eagerly looking around for other stuff I might need! I have to laugh at myself, I couldn't have imagined a shopping spree in a medical supply store a few years ago. At this store, they rent those chairs that help you up and also adjust to laying down position. Was wondering if this is a good idea to rent when the time comes? I think I would sleep in it too, if only for the first week or so. I don't want a hospital bed in my livingroom so this sounds like a good alternative.
 
I am sure that it depends on a lot of things, however, can anyone tell me what the typical time between surgeries is? I believe it is 3 months, I guess depending on how your recovery goes for the first THR. I just want this out of my life so I don't have to be anticipating surgeries. And that I can make travel plans, etc.
 
Hello again, @DebraR. I'm now 3 weeks post op from my RTHR - mini posterior by the same surgeon as @Michegon. I was told that my right hip was the worst, but on X-Ray the left looks awful, too.
I have to say that I fully expected to be scheduling the second surgery soon. However, at 3 weeks I am amazed. All the back and knee pain is gone, and the left hip feels much better! My right hip had rotated forward and slightly upward, causing incredible stress on all the muscles attaching to the low back and knee.
I'm up, walking just fine without any support, and virtually pain free - I take some Tylenol at night to help with any muscle soreness.
Only you and your surgeon can decide about bilateral vs staged; @Michegon clearly needed both and did terrific with bilateral; I was told I needed both by another (reputable) hip surgeon, but advised by my (our) OS that correcting the one side might help the other. . .and it has! I really depends, I think, on not just the X-Rays, but the degree of disease and dysfunction in each hip.
Best wishes to you, whichever way you decide to proceed! My only regret is that I waited way too long to do this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DebraR You're weepy cause you are human. I think our minds play games with the unknown, what if, situations. Keep busy doing the research and keep it simple. The recovery is very quick, i smile every day because of no pain like i had. Hopefulm is a great example. Follow her because she explains things better than i. Good luck.
 
@Michegon and @Hopeful - thanks for your posts. I am hoping that my left hip is better once the right one is replaced. Also nice to know that your back pain disappeared. I wouldn't say I have a lot of back pain, but rather extremely stiff and very uncomfortable low back. I feel like I walk like a penguin, as my steps are very small and my lower back does not move as it is so stiff. It feels like there is a incredible pressure. Did yours feel like that, hopefulm? Thanks, Michegon, for your encouraging words. I will continue to research - I bought a book and CD that were recommended on this site - it is called Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster.
 
Hi @DebraR - it sure sounds like all the muscles in your low back have tightened up as a result of the stress from the hips being so out of alignment. Everyone is different, of course, but I think it's reasonable to hope that some or most of your low back issues will improve with new hip(s). It is all attached!
I had back surgery years ago, with a very difficult recovery, and was depressed to think that my back had deteriorated again after many years of being pretty stable. . .it has been such a relief to have that pain and tightness resolved with a new hip. I so hope that you will have a similar outcome!
 
Hi@hopefulm. I am also hoping that will be the case. I think things will start moving along for me in the New Year. I have a month, but no date yet. They are supposed to call me in February with a March date. I hope it's March 4th - get it? (march forth) as that is what I intend on doing!!!!! Speak soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom