[DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread

@ponymad so sorry you dislocated that new hip. You are right - this is not usual at all. Please have a good discussion with your surgeon about why this happened. Fingers crossed this is a one off event.
 
@ponymad
Have you received and info yet re your dislocation and how they are going to sort you out.
Don't get too despondent, They'll solve the problem one way or another.
A bump on the Road.
Joe.......
 
Oh Pony I am so so sorry to see this. You poor thing. How frightening that must have been. I hope they will be able to reassure you now they have it back in place. Have they told you why it happened? Have been sitting on regular chairs to dry my hair for a while now. I do hope you feel better. It must have hurt a lot. I slipped yesterday with my crutch on the stairs and jarred my leg horribly. Am back to two crutches and hobbling from the pain so I can understand how you are feeling to some degree. Sending you big get better hugs,
Sam xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They relocated it in A&E and admitted me to a ward overnight. The pain is now reduced but until Physio see me and fit a brace, I'm not allowed to walk around. I'm hoping I can get home today thank you Joe



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam - general consensus is that I may have placed my feet awkwardly whilst sat at the chair. I had my hip done privately and the consultant I've seen doesn't use the same methods or prostheses used in this hospital. The NHS have been great picking up the pieces but at weekends there isn't anyone available!

My husband has been having "discussions" with the Nuffield hospital who are responsible for my after care and I think they plan to transfer me and check me over. It is not right that our overstretched NHS pick this up. Obviously I am very fearful this could happen again!

I saw your post about slipping, it's very disconcerting isn't it . I do know dislocations are quite rare - this is the X-ray

[Bonesmart.org] [DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread
 
Wow that's a scary X-ray - the stuff of nightmares. I had mine done privately too and am waiting until tomorrow to call them and see if I need to get my leg checked as still very sore to put wait on. Not fun this whole process but will all get better. I hope you get some answers. Seems so very unlucky to me. Looking at that X-ray can't imagine how much that hurt. Just my slip yesterday hurt so much I nearly fainted and took a long time to settle down with ice.
Take care and rest and keep us updated. We are all rooting for you especially your fellow Feb Hipsters!!!
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I agree with Joe - OUCH! Do get this checked but the surgeon who did the op. I'm going to tag @Josephine and see if she has anything to say about your post-op x-ray.
 
Hi Pony,
Just checked in to see if you had any further news and saw your posts and x Ray. Can only imagine how excruciating that must have been for you - it looks horrifying. Did you manage to get any sleep at all last night? Waiting to find out what they propose to do is also very stressful. Do you have your family with you there? Hopefully if they transfer you back to the Nuffield you will get to see your surgeon tomorrow and find out more detail. Sending you big hugs and wishing you a better day today,
Diane xxxx
 
Ouch was one of the words I was using!!!!!My surgeon has been in to see me... following my husband calling the hospital. The Physio's were here at the time showing me a brace which is extremely uncomfortable and would need to be worn for 6 weeks! I'm being taken back to the Nuffield, observations and Physio and a possible option of opening up to take a look on Tuesday. Thanks everyone - I'll keep checking in and updating. Sam - definitely call them! If it is like the hospital I used, they are open 24 hours so you could chat to someone I'm sure.... xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like a good plan, @ponymad. Glad you have seen the surgeon, and I look forward to your updates. I can't even imagine the pain you were in!

Regarding the brace, I had to wear one 24/7 (except for showers) for 6 weeks after my gluteal tendon repair surgery. It went around my waist and thigh, with hardware in between holding the parts together. It was set so that I could not bend beyond a certain number of degrees. The point of it was to be a constant reminder of my restrictions, so that my tendons could heal safely. It was NOT uncomfortable. Perhaps yours is a completely different kind of brace. If yours is that uncomfortable, then perhaps it needs to be adjusted differently, or given more padding, or something! Have them work with you to get it so that you can rest comfortably with it on, or it may be at cross-purposes for recovery. There are many different adjustments that can be made, and mine was fitted to me by my surgeon's staff. They made sure that I knew how to get it on and off correctly (I needed help with that for weeks post-op) and how to check to make sure that nothing had slipped out of place. I attached a pic of my brace. I wore mine under my clothes.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] [DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread
    brace.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 242
Pony.
Allow The professionals time to do this correctly.
I'm no expert but I know someone who had a dislocation 10wks after the op. He was to have a brace but then the surgeon decided to do a revision and he hasn't looked back (over 1yr now).
Point I'm trying (badly) to make is there are options so make sure you get your surgeon to tell you the options and give his preference. No harm to ask him does he do revisions at all.
I'm keen to learn where your going next.
Has the pain settled.
Take Care.
Joe.......
 
@Krista. So good that you can share your experience. Information is power.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pony, I agree with Joe. Is it possible for you or your husband to check out whether your surgeon has the experience of doing lots of revisions before you see him again, just in case that is what is required? If not, perhaps @ Josephine could give you some advice?

Hope you are more comfortable now, Diane xx
 
Delphi.
Your absolutely correct about @Josephine. But your tag won't reach her (it needs to appear in blue) so I'm just popping the tag up here again.
We've got your back pony.
Joe........
 
He's a pretty well respected surgeon - for knees and hips however I want to really understand what went wrong. More in depth discussions! In the meantime, I've been moved back to the hospital I had the surgery in and will be seeing Physio tomorrow and More X-rays etc. What joy!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The brace I was offered (and the surgeon thought would not be required) looked a little more Dickensian. I have it with me, I will photograph it. It was extremely an uncomfortable contraption made of metal and plastic

[Bonesmart.org] [DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread
 
I had showered, dressed and dried my hair and bam... whilst sat in my chair.
general consensus is that I may have placed my feet awkwardly whilst sat at the chair.
I very much doubt that this is the case. Hips do not dislocate that easily! I think it much more likely that there was something amiss with the way the implants were inserted. I think this because it is very often the case.
Obviously I am very fearful this could happen again!
Of course you are! But you have to take matters into your own hands and get a second opinion before you allow your present surgeon to do anything about your hip.
It is not right that our overstretched NHS pick this up.
Don't worry about that. Private hospitals are ill-equipped to deal with these kinds of complications so it would be much better if you were transferred there.

Can you tell me the surgeon who operated on you and which is your local NHS hospital? I'll do a little research on them for you.
 
Can you tell me the surgeon who operated on you and which is your local NHS hospital? I'll do a little research on them for you.

Pm'd you


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom