[DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread

Thanks Sam - how was your first full day at home?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
when attempting some exercises whilst standing
@ponymad, did you not see this bit of advice?

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
I'm getting Oramorph when I ask for it thankfully - controlling pain so much better - it takes minutes... pharmacist has removed codeine and tramadol from my drugs lust. The nurse last night was very keen on the codeine and wanted to avoid the Oramorph - why would that be?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ponymad - Hope you read this if you're awake (but would rather think you've finally managed to get some kip). Sorry you're struggling to get the meds balanced. Dizziness and the difficulty with breathing is very unsettling and will have rattled you I'm sure. Glad to hear the walking is going okay - but I don't think they will let you go until you're sorted out medication-wise. Am about to go to bed so not checked back but has @Josephine - been by? She may have some views on medication. Do hope tomorrow will see some improvement.
 
The nurse last night was very keen on the codeine and wanted to avoid the Oramorph - why would that be?
Because codeine is generally considered to be a better pain med for hips than Tramadol. And in my experience, it is. But you need to take 2 paracetamol with every dose of codeine (30mg or 60mg) you take for best effect.
pharmacist has removed codeine and tramadol from my drugs lust
drugs 'lust'? I hope not!
 
Up this morning, showered on my own, have done stairs and a walk with the Physio and I am ready to leave! Unfortunately storm Doris had other plans and dropped a 40ft tree on our garage . My husband needs to secure it (electrics open to the elements) so I am resting in my room and waiting!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Up this morning, showered on my own, have done stairs and a walk with the Physio and I am ready to leave! Unfortunately storm Doris had other plans and dropped a 40ft tree on our garage . My husband needs to secure it (electrics open to the elements) so I am resting in my room and waiting!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@ponymad. Crazy! I got snowed in the hospital and had to stay an extra night. lol we will have these crazy weather stories to tell. Take good care! Check in from home to let us know how you are doing. I just slept on my operated side for about an hour! How sweet it was to get off my back:) oh the little things:)


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what bad luck @ponymad. We have a 60 ft tree almost overhanging our conservatory so I was worrying about that yesterday almost as much as the op! Very impressed that you have managed a shower by yourself, that still seems a good way off yet for me. Are you planning on sleeping upstairs straight away? I have a living room and shower upstairs as well as the bed I will be using, so really need to manage the stairs for when I get home. Good luck with the journey back. Do you have far to go?
Take care, Diane x
 
Wow, what bad luck @ponymad. We have a 60 ft tree almost overhanging our conservatory so I was worrying about that yesterday almost as much as the op! Very impressed that you have managed a shower by yourself, that still seems a good way off yet for me. Are you planning on sleeping upstairs straight away? I have a living room and shower upstairs as well as the bed I will be using, so really need to manage the stairs for when I get home. Good luck with the journey back. Do you have far to go?
Take care, Diane x

Diane,
You will be fine with the stairs when you get home. I was really worried but actually it's not hard to get up and down (very slowly!!) using the way they show you at hospital. Once I'm down in the morning I tend to stay down but you will be amazed how you manage a bit better each day. I think yesterday was my worst. Today a much better day and even toddled around on one crutch for a bit around the kitchen!! Ah, the small things!!!
Xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My husband will be here in 30 minutes - [emoji4] - I live in a bungalow so no stairs to deal with, thankfully. I'm looking forward to a good nights sleep in my own bed xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My husband will be here in 30 minutes - [emoji4] - I live in a bungalow so no stairs to deal with, thankfully. I'm looking forward to a good nights sleep in my own bed xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Fantastic! Enjoy being home. Xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sam,
Glad that today has been better for you. What was so bad about yesterday? I am worried about the stairs because I seem to have no power in my bad leg and find it extremely difficult to move at all. Hoping that will improve tomorrow so I can maybe get a shower. One crutch after 5 days sounds unbelievable, you have made fantastic progress so well done you!!

Pony mad,
Lucky you without stairs! Do you feel ok and ready for home? Were you on the Enhanced Recovery programme? Can't see myself going home at that point unfortunately, unless tomorrow brings big improvements. Have not been able to go upstairs sequentially for over a year , so I guess my leg muscles are shot. Have a lovely first night back home,

Take care guys, Diane xxx
 
I'm not sure if I was on enhanced recovery but I am glad to be home! I am keeping up the meds and basically slept for 3 hours solid when I got home. I've got dissolvable stitches and no drain and can remove the waterproof dressing 7th march so 14 days after the op. My Physio showed me a very helpful tip for moving the heavy leg - the belt of a dressing gown! Much easier to manoeuvre in and out of bed and on and off the sofa! Ian shuffling a bit too much though, easier than stepping!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
First night in my own bed and had quite a lot of pain both during the night and early morning. I joked with my husband that I am missing the nurse buzzer [emoji6]. I think I overdid it yesterday... will take it easy today as much as I can... lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
First night in my own bed and had quite a lot of pain both during the night and early morning. I joked with my husband that I am missing the nurse buzzer [emoji6]. I think I overdid it yesterday... will take it easy today as much as I can... lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Don't overdo it!!! It all takes a lot out of you! I had a shower this morning and dried my hair and had to lie down afterwards from the effort!!!
The nights are hard I find too. The one time my pains not very manageable but can only take paracetamol and ibuprofen sadly so no lovely strong ones to take the edge off!!
Today is a better day though (day 6) and am getting around on one crutch pretty happily which feels like a major achievement. Had to put draft proofing foam around the crutch handles though as they are so hard and was hurting. Has made a huge difference!!
Hope you have a good and relaxed day. I try to get up and move every hour or do as it stretches out all the stiff muscles.
Take care,
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ponymad @sammylou99 you both sound like you are spot on! Nights for the first week were kind of challenging. I set my alarm to take my meds (Oxy) as soon as I could during the night. They did help me sleep. I also drank lots of fluids, so I had to get up and move and stretch often as I went to the bathroom. The first week was all about resting, icing and elevating. Really nothing else matters.
 
@ponymad Hi so glad you are feeling well but don't overdo things your poor body needs time to heal. I know how it's so tempting to do things because you feel ok but you maybe need more rest than you think. Your'e doing well keep it up.
 
I'm having a positive day today
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170227_c4b16491a1303c79eb037baa1bdd62e6.jpg
being looked after by my special little Nurse Lily [emoji177][emoji177]. Taking it easy but had to share how much lighter my leg feels today!!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Aw - it's so nice when you have a recovery buddy! Glad that log leg is shifting!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom