Guest viewing is limited

TKR Di's Recovery Thread

I took oxycodone for my TKR, it was the first time I'd ever taken anything stronger than Tylenol. It did make me fuzzy and sleepy, but kept the pain at bay so I was ok with it and napped whenever I could. I wasn't sleeping at night at all.
 
Question: went to pt today...went well despite the fact that knee was stiff and flat as a steel pancake due to frigid weather here...
However, my pt is ADAMANT that I should only be icing 15-20 minutes at a time; not the 45 minutes I've been doing.
She says 45 minutes is too long and that it freezes the knee back up and kind of "undoes" all the work we just did in therapy.
I'll readily admit that 45 minutes does leave my leg feeling a bit frozen but I do it anyway. Thoughts?
Hugs, newbie tkr
 
That "15 minutes at a time" doesn't apply to icing after a TKR. You need to ice for at least 45 minutes for it to be effective.
You can ice for as long as you want to (even all night long, which I did) as long as you have something between your skin and the cold thing, so you don't get "freezer burn". If you feel it's too cold, use another layer of material.

My advice would be to continue icing for longer than 15 minutes, but don't discuss it with your PT. She's not your mother! :heehee: You're the boss in this situation.
 
I've read of many people who iced all night long to relieve night time pain and all have had great results. I never thought if icing all night.
 
I iced all night long and for most of the day. It helps with pain. The first time I had the TKR I even ice my quads and where I had pain in my shins. I wrap myself up in a warm blanket with my leg elevated.
 
I must admit that I agree with everyone on here as they are much more expert than me BUT ....... If I ice for 20-25 minutes I can bend my knee and exercise, if I ice for longer I can't move it much at all.

So I have resolved to ice for 20-25 every 2 hours throughout the day from the moment I wake. That is working for me.

So everyone's journey will be slightly different go with what feels right for your knee.
xxx
 
Ok. Need advice...again. How much exercise today given the following:

Didn't sleep last nite- up 4 separate times for fresh ice pack for temperamental knee.
Woke up this am feeling irritable and tired. Knee is angry and sleepy.
So far today I've done 1/2 mile walk, (knee protesting every step of the way), minimal pt, climbed about 8 flights of stairs ( I live on the 3rd floor of big, old house), and swept bathroom.
Weather in mid-30's...icing now and going to try for a nap.
Question: how much more, if anything, should I do today. PT tomorrow.
Comments are appreciated.
 
@Newbie tkr I'd say that you've done enough for today. Relax and ice that knee for the rest of the day ;)
 
Sounds like more than enough for today. I don't think I would have even attempted that much if my knee starts off the day already angry. Take the rest of the day to relax.
 
I agree with Marian.
You've done more than enough for today.
Just the walk and the stairs would have been plenty.
 
Sorry about the hideous red font- not sure how it got like that to begin with but if you can tell me how to change it to another color I will.
There is an article in the "How To Use This Forum" How to change the appearance of your post text


@Newbie tkr I am so sorry I missed your answers. I usually mark threads where I've left my questions and must have forgotten to do this one. You should have tagged me!

1. Pain right now about a 2
Okay
2. Delaudid- 2mg. He wrote me a script on March 22 for 60 and told me they should last me for fifteen days. Today would have been the 8th day and tomorrow I run out. I took around 18 mg a day from last Thursday-Sunday after that horrendous pt session. Since Sunday night gone back down to about 8mg per day.
I'm confused - if your pain score is only 2, how come you are out of your meds already? And if your surgeon is cutting you off, see if your GP will oblige. Quite a few members have reported that theirs have done so.
3. Icing knee for 45 minutes 4-5 times a day.
Not bad.
4. Very little elevation other than sitting in my bed.
6. Knee moderately swollen.
If your knee is swollen, you should be elevating more. Elevate while you ice.
5. ROM is about 65.
At 4 weeks - hmm ....
7. Little to no housework from Sunday to today- nothing but sleeping- (depression?) In my first 3 weeks of recovery I probably did far more work around the house than should have
I see!

My comments in bold
Starting yesterday- rehab with new pt
Ankle pumps 20 at 2x day - these are just anti clot exercises which you don't need to do now
Tippie toes- 20 at 2x day - an exercise that is very hard on your knee. I suggest you stop doing it
Quad sets- 20 at 2x day - do one 5 reps of these once a day
Tighten thigh muscles and hold- 20 at 2x day - these aren't so bad but just do 10 once a day
Lifting operated leg up while lying on back - straight leg raise. A tip about these, once you can do them you don't need to do them any more! So stop doing them!
Lifting operated leg while lying on side - this has no benefit to your knee but will give you ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues. So stop doing them
Same leg while lying on tummy - also pointless. Stop doing them. Walking will do the same but better
Sitting in chair lifting operated leg up - same as straight leg raises - stop them!

Heel slides- 20 at 2x day - heel slides are very easy to do badly and 20 twice a day is bad! Read this Heel slides and how to do them.
Lying on tummy bending operated knee - this is a flexion exercise. You are already doing heel slides, you don't need to do more
Sitting in chair while "pulling" knee back towards the underneath of chair - same as above

So this is your problem - you're doing far too much exercising. I added up your routine and you're doing 440 reps a day which is phenomenal, excessive and ludicrous! All that does is create angry tissues which are hard to live with! You need to understand that it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

So far today I've done 1/2 mile walk, (knee protesting every step of the way), minimal pt, climbed about 8 flights of stairs ( I live on the 3rd floor of big, old house), and swept bathroom.
Question: how much more, if anything, should I do today. PT tomorrow.
What the others said. You're doing far too much and causing your knee to be painful. So you don't want to do more, you need to do LESS!!!

And when you get with your new PT, don't let her/him give you heaps of exercises with heaps of reps. Just be assertive and say no! Also no pressing on your knee to improve flexion - it doesn't work, it's just cruel to you and to your knee!

Oh yes, and read this again Activity progression for TKRs and remember you are not yet 4 weeks out!
 
@Josephine
You are awesome. Thanks so much for all your help.
When I wrote, awhile back, that pain level was a '2' it was only for that moment in time. Generally pain was anywhere from 4-10. Ran out of pain meds b/c I was going through extreme pain and the beginnings of PTSD/panic attacks at the slightest twinge of pain (some mild mental health issues which are being addressed separately now in conjunction with my knee rehab). I have extremely low tolerance to pain, this evolving now after 4 prior joint surgeries...
As of today, (30 days post-op) currently working with pain-management doctor who has me on oxycodone, 10 mg., 4-6 times a day. Off the Delaudid completely. He says oxy is longer lasting and I do seem to do better on it.
ROM at 73 now...
I'll take it easy for the rest of today (maybe a nice juicey hot bath and that's it?) given all the feedback.
Starting tomorrow I'll follow you're suggested schedule for home pt.
How DO you keep up with helping so many people?
Hugs, Diana
 
@Josephine
So sorry about font color AGAIN
have done everything possible to correct it. You can see that some of my posts DO post in black and that's when it's working.
 
Tremendous appreciation for all your comments. Did't realise how 're off the mark' I was with the activity.

Did some calming meditation, managed to sleep for 2 hours with my kitties, (cloudy, windy and COLD here) and then awoke to see all of this help from BoneSmart. For me! Feeling better and will do nothing for the rest of the day.

Want to donate but no income right now and not working (of course). Will donate when I can.

Hugs to you, friends and fellow travelers
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Di's Recovery Thread
    IMG_1075_2.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:
I recuperated during the Polar Vortex so while icing I also had an electric throw on top of me. So good to hear you didn't do anything else today.
 
@KarriB

Too funny. A hot bath was the only thing I wanted to "do" today...sooo...I did.
Just after I got out of the bath I saw a message from Josephine strongly advising me NOT TO DO THAT!
I'm so bad, lol...didn't know and now may have to pay the price for it.
How are YOU doing? Can you believe this cold weather, they say until middle of next week.
Signed, 'waiting for Spring in the lower Allegheny mountains'
 
Hope it felt good at least. I'm further healed than you but hot tub last weekend felt very good and did not cause swelling for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom