TKR Di's Recovery Thread

@Newbie tkr my OS told me to take 12 weeks off from teaching, I thought I could do it in 8. Ha! I developed an infection and eventually went back to work part time at 12 weeks. Don't rush back to work.
 
Karri: appreciate the sentiment...I am currently living with my sister and her husband (2 years now) after having lost everything I owned (car, home, job) in SC.

Have only been able to find part-time work here in this tiny town and, more importantly, this is my 2nd joint replacement in 15 months.

All this is to suggest that, though my sister loves me, and her husband makes a good living, I feel SOOO GUILTY for not contributing more...the plan was (2 years ago) to come here just long enough to get on my feet financially...then move on...ha!

I know you are right about holding off on work. I need to work on these guilt feelings...
 
Hey Karri: just noticed you're in Ptsburgh.
I'm in Johnstown, PA. Very cool...
 
You know, it may take a while to recover from this surgery, but if you're like me, there is so much more you can do when your life isn't ruled by your knees it can give you an overall better outlook. Not that I'm always :loveshwr: by any means:heehee:, but I sure can have more of a life than when I was dragged down by my knees. Your family's looking out for you right now, but I bet you'll be back on your feet (literally and figuratively) as your health improves.
 
@GimpyGal
Hi. Saw your post on Eyesnlegs Re: Delaudid and thought I'd let you know that this is the medication I've been on for my recovery (29 days post-op).
It has helped a great deal though not sure why it's so addictive as it doesn't give me any sense of being "happy" high or euphoria or anything like that. I've had the oxy's and the hydrocodone which DO make me feel that way.
I do know though that going off the Delaudid cold-turkey (which I stupidly did 15 months ago with my hip replacement) made me sick as a dog whereas stopping the oxy's or hydrocodone never made me sick.
I also am taking Zofran and sweat by it to offset side effects of Delaudid.
Looking forward to getting off ALL pain meds (except otc) soon.
Newbie tkr
 
@Newbie tkr yes, I'm in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, near the Cranberry area if you've heard of it. I'm sorry to hear of your work circumstances. But if you let your knee recovery and not push it by working, you will be able to go back to work with less pain and stay working. By going back too early, you may aggravate your knee and need more time than originally planned. I was very fortunate in that I had accumulated 180 sick days by the time my left knee gave out. I used about 66 days that year, including my half days. I planned my TKR around holidays, knowing I wouldn't miss as many school days because of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now I'm planning to retire in June and I'll retire with 120 sick days.
I felt terribly guilty with family and friends caring for me, visiting me through 22 days in a hospital. However in the past positions had been reversed and I was the caretaker, it's what families do for one another. When you are feeling better I'm sure your sister and her husband would appreciate you preparing meals for them and caring for the house a bit while they are working.
 
I agree with Karrib if your sister was in need you would do everything you could to help her out. If you give your knee enough time to get strong you can go back to work. I'm sure everything will work out well for the future.
 
my OS told me to take 12 weeks off from teaching, I thought I could do it in 8.
My OS told me allowed me---to go back to work at eight weeks----I thought that it would be my "magic date." Little did I know how long these recoveries take.
All this is to suggest that, though my sister loves me, and her husband makes a good living, I feel SOOO GUILTY for not contributing more...the plan was (2 years ago) to come here just long enough to get on my feet financially...then move on...ha!
Do not worry about it---I am sure that, when you are fully recovered, you will be able to make things up and help them out in some way.
 
Thanks so much for your kind and supportive words re: personal circumstances.
I think the culmination of losing eeverything in SC and then coming here 2 years ago and feeling as though I have nothing to show for it, except two joint surgeries, has left me feeling like a bit of a failure.
Thank God for you all. I also follow a very specific spiritual philosophy that has been equally as helpful to me as BoneSmart.org.
Yes, I want so much to give back...to contribute more. Now.
But because of your sage-wise advice I can be patient. I owe it to myself...
Di
 
@newlybionic
I was just reading your thread re: anxiety, depression, etc.
I've had depression and PTSD (or at least was diagnosed) 20 years.
Never had too many issues with the PTSD (based on a one-time horrific event I went through and will live with the rest of my life).. BUT...lo and behold after my first pt session post-op, I went a little bananas. I have learned that I have a very low tolerance for pain (6 surgeries in my life now, ALL due to osteoarthritis) and whenever I have pain, the PTSD symptoms start going into overdrive...extreme fear, crying, startle response very strong and nausous and hyperventilating.
It's awful. Am on a benzodiazepine but really still grappling with pt sessions as they scare me...thoughts?
 
@Newbie tkr my faith was what got me through a rough few months. Even during the infection and all that it entailed I knew I was learning important lessons that I'm able to use now a year and half later. You've been through quite a few surgeries and the TKR/infection washout have been my only surgeries.

Your knee will heal and your life will pick up, patience is a key ingredient. :SUNsmile:
 
Just remember you are in control. If something starts to hurt at all then stop. You can tell them up front every session that you will not do anything that causes you pain. You can also tell them to not touch you at all and just have them tell you the exercises for you to do yourself. You would be more in control that way so hopefully your PTSD doesn't overcome you. It is against the law for someone to touch you when you say no. Could you have short appointments in the beginning and work up to full sessions as you go along? I also brought an ice wrap for my knee for the trip home.
 
Yes, good advice. And supporting. First task today: look up the word PATIENCE and memorize definition-
Going to my first appt. this am to a Chronic Pain Mgmt. Clinic doctor. Hopefully he can give me some ideas, non-narcotic meds to help with pain (especially during rehabb exercises). Meanwhile, I live literally within walking distance of my pt rehab place so I come directly home and ice for about 45 minutes. Heck...I'm icing all the time anyway. But still can't get comfortable trying to elevate, despite reading the articles posted here about it.
Thank you both for continued support, empathy..
Hope you both are doing well.
Will continue to update as I need you so very much.
Di
 
Di, I've a only just caught up with your thread, this Labrynthitis can be something else. I'd be lost without meds for this. The mornings are spent in a whirl until the meds kick in, but I'm still trying to keep up my exercises. Although I had to cancel Physio this morning which I was none to pleased at but what can you do?

I just wanted to say that my Complex PTSD was only diagnosed 2 years ago when I was 58, I never really knew what was causing all my symptoms. I've tried to get in control of them over the last 2 years and I'm really proud I made it through this op. 2 years ago I could never have done it. But like you sometimes the symptoms take over and the others have told you all the right things to do.

PTSD leaves you feeling as though you have no control, you need to take control of the things that you can to give you back a little sanity at least. For me the drugs thing really scares me and to begin with we thought my fear was to do with the CPTSD until we realised just how sensitive I am to meds. So of course each time I try a new drug I am terrified as I have no control over how my body will react.

Keep going you are doing really, really well and coping with some horrible mental health issues at the same time. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job really well done and make sure you take all your control back.

Hugs xxx
 
But still can't get comfortable trying to elevate
If it is not comfortable, just keep it flat, on the couch, bed, recliner, etc. You can also try one pillow to raise your leg a little. Do what is most comfortable for you.
 
@Eyesnlegs
Wonderful support and compassion...Thank you.
I hope you're completely "over the rainbow" now on this infection you had...
Are you suggesting to me that one of your 'triggers' for the (C) PTSD is that of the fear in trying new medications? Interesting. In terms of what various stimuli can do this. I never really had pain before as a trigger point for me up until about 5 years ago. It just started and has gotten worse.
Otherwise, no real stimulant for these reactions other than maybe reading, hearing about a situation that hits too close to home regarding my own orgin of PTSD. I stay away from those scenarios if I can.
I think we both deserve a huge pat on the back. We're survivors. We're humans. With wings of course.
 
Update: just got home from seeing pain mgmt. specialist.
He's taken me off the Delaudid immediately, (says he can't understand why my OS would still have me on it because it's a short-acting pain med for acute pain only).
He put me on Oxycodone which he says is longer lasting (10 mg. Every 4 hrs.)
I'm to call him in a few days to apprise him of my status. I told him I was very concerned about stopping the Delaudid all at once b/c of my acute withdrawal symptoms and ER visit the LAST time I did this. He said no withdrawal symptoms from Delaudid this time because I'm switching to the Oxy's.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Whew! Now, onto my psychiatric doc for help with the pain trigger/PTSD symptoms...is it Spring yet wherever you are?
Blessings.
 
I'm in eastern PA and woke up to snow on the ground the last two days!

I can't tell you if there would possibly be any withdrawal symptoms. I am taking Oxycodone and I have been on that since I came home. I can take up to 10 mg every 4 hours and it does help with my pain. I wasn't able to take pain meds last time around because it made me I'll but I have had no problems with the medication. I do take an occasional Zofran for nausea but I'm needing that less and less. I don't feel drugged or dizzy from it. Hopefully it will work well for you too.
 
Di, with PTSD everyone's triggers are different, it is as it is! Sounds as though you are making progress too though. No I'm still struggling a little with the Labrynthitis but I will get there.

I am like you too having issues in finding good places to rest / elevate but each day gets a little better and I find new ways to progress - two steps forward and one back lol.
xx
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom