TKR Di's Recovery Thread

Sorry, last post in that horrible red font again. I'll have to manually change it each time I post.
 
Maybe you can try to call the pain clinic yourself today. I'm so sorry the you are having such problems and now they want to label you as having addiction issues.
 
MIRACLE OF MIRACLES!!
Was having so much difficulty trying to obtain more pain meds, getting to pain clinic, difficult pt, horrible first three weeks in recovery...you all know because I've had so many awesome people on this website letting me know they cared.
Today I went to rehab expecting to go to the ER afterwards because starting withdrawal symptoms from the Delaudid that my OS refused to give me anymore of (26 days post-op).
He also referred me to a chronic pain mgmt. clinic for continued pain care but I haven't been able to get in b/c all of their phones/faxes are down and no one at pain clinic even knew I needed to be seen.
Long story short, my OS, upon finding out what was going on with the pain clinic, told me he'd write me another script for the Delaudid. So he did. I was ready to go to ER but instead am able to get back in focus on my recovery. U guess my OS isn't quite as heartless as I thought.
Thanks to all who have supported me...I've turned my first corner in recovery.
 
I'm very glad to hear that your OS relented.
And maybe by the time that prescription has run out, you will be ready to step down to a milder form of pain relief, such as Tramadol? That's a good step-down drug, but you do have to wean yourself off it gradually, when the time comes for that.
 
Yes, I know. No more narcotics after this...I'm done. Almost 4 weeks post-op and for the first time feel like I've turned a corner. Thanks for your support Celle
 
Damn, now I KNOW I switched that font to black on last post, my bad
 
See, did it again...types in black but then posts in red.
 
I'm so happy that you were able to get some more pain meds so you can start to control cutting back on them. I hope you have a good nigh tonight and enjoy that 'turn' around the corner!
 
Does anyone else feel as sleepy as I do all the time? 28 days post-op tkr
 
Thanks Delle.
 
That's common to feel very sleepy post op. The first time around I was sleepy for the first 2 months. I can't blame on pain meds then because I wasn't taking any. It was my body trying to heal.
 
Yep, I napped every day. I'd get the overwhelming need to lie down. I took that as orders from the knee, just like the pain messages. :heehee: I think I was also like a little kid--cranky when overtired.
Not to mention the pain meds made me a bit drowsy. The energy drain (see the Library article on that) is one of those things the docs don't really prepare you for.
 
Awesome. So I can sleep some more...just feels like I should be back to work earning a paycheck.
I'll be checking into the library. Tnks.
 
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work after a TKR, and then returning part time for a while, if possible: Phased return to work

You job right now is to rest, ice, elevate, take your medications on schedule, and only do a little, gentle exercise.
That isn't lying around being lazy. It's working actively at giving your knee the best possible conditions to recover.
 
Oh Celle: how did I get to the point in my life (here in the U.S.) where everything is PRODUCE, PRODUCE, AND MORE PRODUCE.
your response left me feeling very comforted...and more relaxed. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about? Hugs!
 
Wow! Just finished checking out numerous articles in the Library. After reading many of them I began to realize... I'm actually going through a normal recovery. One comment made consistently throughout the various articles was, "...doctor's don't give you the whole story...". How true, and WHY NOT??
I was particularly gratified to learn more about ROM recovery and Post-op depression/blues.
Don't know where the heck I'd be without all of you.
Blessings.
 
"...doctor's don't give you the whole story...". How true, and WHY NOT??
I think it's because they don't know! They do a skilled technical job of the surgery, then see you at the post-op appointment, then maybe in 6 months' and a year's time.
They haven't had a knee replacement themselves and they probably don't realise that everyone gets the blues, gets fed up with slow progress, and has trouble sleeping properly. All those things are normal, but I think you have to go through a TKR before you understand.
 
I found around week 3 that my pain med was making me sleepy. I would take my dose and 40 minutes later I just could not keep my eyes open. When I started cutting down the dosage I felt more alert. I was put on percocet, so it was easy for me to cut down from 2 pills to 1 and then 1/2 pill every 6 hours to now 1/4 pill twice a day. I combined this now with tylenol. I am almost all off percocet now at 5.5 weeks. I still take the 1/4 pill because by mid day, after all the in-house mobility activity I now do, my knee gets a bit more inflamed and upset. I noticed that as I was cutting down the dosage I would get less sleepy.
Where I live it is your family doctor that does the follow up with pain meds. He has a better history of tolerance and what works and not!
 
Yes...I agree. Pain meds make me sleepy. Issue is that I have such an incredibly low tolerance to pain that many times when I start to feel too much pressure doing my exercises I will literally start hyperventilating and my PTSD symptoms, though only moderate, will begin to appear.
Last nite, before going to bed, a lot of pain, burning, inflammation on the knee. I did too much yesterday with it. I realized, for the first time that I'm not going to know if I do too much until the end of my day, not during the day. Soo...taking it easy today- down to 4 Delaudid a day which is good for me at 27 days post-op. Date of surgery: 3/7/16.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom