TKR Di's Recovery Thread

Oh I'm fine, @Newbie tkr . Counting down the days to retirement! Just 44 left, then I can get my left knee done at some point and not worry about sick days or what the substitute teacher is doing with my students. I am going to PT for my plantar fasciitis that has been going on for over two years since my TKR. The doctor thinks it's from not using my foot and it laying lax for so long shortened that muscle or tendon or whatever the medical term is. It is miserably cold outside and looks like snow on Saturday.

I often sat in the hot shower letting the water run over my knee, when I was allowed to shower that is. :bath:
 
@KarriB
Cannot believe you are going into another knee surgery-you are so brave
Even more awesome is the 44 days left until retirement. I agree with you that not having to worry about working will most likely reduce the stress ten-fold.
I had plantar fasciitis only once and that was about 15 years ago when I was dancing a lot of ballet. Fortunately, it has not ever returned...the one discipline I've carried over from my ballet days is stretch, stretchl, and stretch again.
Can't wait for warmer weather...I have strong family roots in PA but...lived in Charleston, SC for ten years and am miserable in any weather under 50°.
Actually very much want to move further south again and closer to the water. But having family close-by is a hard thing to give up.
You? Have you been in PA all you life? And what made you decide to become a teacher? An incredibly noble pursuit...
 
@charmed-life
Well. I totally lived the hot, steaming bath, particularly in this frigid western PA weather...something you would know about being from Minnesota (Minne-SNOW-ta?), lol...
Some swelling and inflammation afterwards but nothing terribly obvious.
Regards, stay warm
 
@Josephine

Hi to all!
Took the advice of BoneSmart yesterday about doing NOTHING else the rest of my day (given my throbbing knee after doing TOO much in the a.m.) and...surprise of surprises! I ended up sleeping 6 hours straight! Uninterrupted! Actually feeling pretty rested today.

My only (and biggest) concern is lack of ROM at 30 days post-ok. ROM is only 73. The less I do on the knee the stiffer it remains.
Have a 12:00 noon PT appt. today and strongly considering cancelling b/c I know I'm not assertive enough to slow my PT down on the exercises AND, though I know my knee will be angry after PT I also know the ROM will be better.
If I don't go today I'll have 4-5 days until next PT appt. and was considering doing these days the BoneSmart way (instructions you gave me, Josephine) as opposed to what I was doing before...thoughts and feedback appreciated.
Diana
 
Di,

The advice on here is great but I've taken all advice according to how my knee feels. My PT doesn't push me and encouraging regular, gentle exercises. I ice 6 times a day for 20 mins and do my PT exercises gently, only pushing into discomfort not pain and only 4 times a day. I walk around the house lots, but we don't have stairs! I couldn't do them before the op I'm not doing them now!

I've only been out for a short walk twice since the op as I was ill last week. Today my ROM was at 97 degrees. Why, because I exercise every time I've iced for 20 mins. If I ice for longer it's worse. If I rest too much it's worse. If I exercise too much it's worse. Keeping the swelling down is key. I'm 4 weeks today.
Sending hugs, keep trying, you are a real fighter.
xxx
 
My only (and biggest) concern is lack of ROM at 30 days post-ok. ROM is only 73. The less I do on the knee the stiffer it remains.
ROM can take quite some time to regain---remember that you are just emerging from the "Dark Days of Recovery"---and your surgical knee has sustained major trauma and is reeling from it.

Patience is the key and please do not worry about it---ice, elevate, and be gentle with your new knee---the harder you work to try to regain ROM, the more painful, stiff, and frustrating your knee and recovery will be.

Remember, ROM can be gained upwards to a year after your TKR. I gained some ROM in tiny increments even after the my one-year anniversary.
 
My only (and biggest) concern is lack of ROM at 30 days post-op. ROM is only 73. The less I do on the knee the stiffer it remains.
The after effects of exercise is not going to go away in a day or two. It can take 2-3 weeks. So be brave and wait it out.
Have a 12:00 noon PT appt. today and strongly considering cancelling b/c I know I'm not assertive enough to slow my PT down on the exercises AND, though I know my knee will be angry after PT I also know the ROM will be better.
I think that would be a very good idea. Sometimes it takes a lot of self confidence and strength to stand up to these professionals as everything in you is telling you they must know best and you know nothing. But that's not true. We have empowered you with knowledge. Use it.
 
@Eyesnlegs
Wow...what you said about listening to your knee. Hit the spot Eyesnlegs-
Why? Because it was just yesterday (Wednesday) that it occured to me that my knee was really trying to "communicate" with me. For the first time since surgery I discovered this...AND, that despite all the advice, articles, experience, etc., why shouldn't I just start "listening" to my knee.
So that's what I've started practicing today...knee is telling me it gets tired so much more easily than I initially thought.
I've done very little today and knee is exhausted for the second time today. So I'm stopping. Everying- icing now and relaxing in front of the telly.
Your a doll to help. Almost like you're a step ahead of me and see the things in recovery a day or two before I do. Heartfelt gratitude.
Di
 
@Josephine - Thanks for continued support. I believe the ROM IS there. Starting to "listen" to my knee more now and becoming more confident in its' ability to direct me in what to do or not do and when to do it.

@referee54 - sitting here icing (again) after doing very little today. Cancelled the pt and don't have another appt. until Monday...hurrah!
Feel so blessed to be able to truly take my time with this recovery as after my hip replacement (about 15 months ago) I was preparing to go back to work at the 7 week mark. I think the knee might be more like 10 weeks as I only work part time right now (16 hours a week) but all I want to do is sleep right now...zzzz
Have to let my obsession with ROM go for now.
Hugs, Di
 
@Newbie tkr i will have to have my left knee done within the year and I probably should've had it done already. But I had a complication that makes me very leery, so holding off as long as possible and at least through the summer. My infection forced me to stay off my leg and keep it elevated for a month, add on the elevation before the infection and the Drs and PTs feel it shortened my muscle/tendon causing PF. It's been going on for over two years so it'll take quite a while to fix it.

I've lived in Piitsburgh most of my life ( 1 year teaching in the mountains of WV) but I've traveled quire a bit up and down the east coast and to the UK where I have family. I love the 'burg and all the seasons, except spring so if I go south it will be during the spring.

I've been a teacher for over half my life and always knew it was what I wanted, but I actually feel relieved to be retiring. It wasn't planned, I was going to teach another year or two, but aa switch went off and although I'll miss my friends and students, I know I'm ready.

I'm hoping this crazy spring weather gives way to beautiful spring weather for you, but PA springs are notoriously unpredictable. It's good to hear you're having better days.
 
Di,
So glad my message helped even a little and I'm truly glad your listening to your knee, it knows exactly what you need. Look after YOU first and foremost. Those who have never had PTSD will not understand how difficult it is for us to listen to ourselves. We constantly seek outside validation that what we are doing is okay.

Listening to your knee maybe one of your steps back to listening to your body. I do hope so. xxx
 
@Eyesnlegs
Hmmm...interesting. Your comment about how PTSD can affect the ability to listen to your body. I've never felt that this was an issue for me but now...you've got me thinking...something your communication with me tends to promote✌
Of course, always second-guessing myself and need for validation have been pervasive in my life. I always just assumed it was because I was so insecure and narsisistic.
My PTSD symptoms, (and believe me, I know I have plenty of work to do on my mental health) have always seemed to be more physical in nature than mental. Until this surgery. To start going into the hyperventilating, startle response, screaming tantrums b/c of my physical sensitivity to pain scares the heck out of me. But I do think that's pretty much behind me now.
Icing nowadays for just 20 minutes. Feels much better.
Sounds like your daily plan is working and you're pretty much got it down pat.
Cold and snowy today here in PA. Hope the weather's more springlike where you are.
 
Just made me laugh loud, "you're pretty much got it down pat". Why am I laughing 'cos that's my real name Pat lol.

If you look at what causes PTSD you will understand a little more. Do some research on Bessel Van Der Kolk "The Body Keeps the Score" and on "somatic memory". It may pose more questions but it may explain some stuff too. If you don't want to work to hard at this, when your sitting icing, look him up on YouTube there's some good talks on there.

BTW the need for validation isn't narcissistic, since narcissists believe they are right!

Pat (aka Wobbly) xxx
 
Good day all!
Snow predicted today here in the northeast lower 48 (U.S.) - sooo...cold, windy, where IS Spring?

Have had a good couple of days since I switched up my physio routine to align more with what BoneSmart is advising vs. what my pt had me doing...

Icing about 20 minutes every hour- BoneSmart suggests more time on the icing but the 20 minutes works better for me. Doing about 5 easy heel slides every hour (stretching to just a minimal point of discomfort then holding the stretch for 10-15 seconds). Still on narcotic pain meds at 34 days post-op. If I didn't have pain I wouldn't be taking them but the Tylenol alone isn't working yet. Now walking a nice 20 minute walk daily (sometimes two walks depending on the weather) around my gorgeous neighboorhood. And lastly, a tad of housework everyday, like one chore only! Oh...forgot to mention my stairs...I do live on the top floor of a large old home so probably climbing the stairs a wee bit much.
Biggest change: LISTENING TO MY KNEE AND ALLOWING IT TO DICTATE MY DAILY ROUTINE.
Very happy to report that last night, for the first time, was able to watch two hours of telly LYING ON MY TUMMY with no knee pain. Yippie! Can also start going to sleep again on different sides of my body instead of having to lie ONLY on my back. Now that's what I call progress!
Next week we are, weather-wise, supposed to get warmer again and this means my muscles will probably start stretching more easily again than they do in cold weather. I'm over the cold. Love to all.
Di
 
It was about a month when I was able to sleep on my sides. Good to hear things are looking up.
 
I often did 20 minutes on; 20 minutes off if it felt too cold.
 
Well done Di, that's brilliant progress. I know the psychological mountain can be harder to climb than the physical one.

Keep taking care of YOU
xxx
 
Ok...5:30 am (est) and my knee is screaming at me, WAKE UP! TIME TO WALK...!! I don't want to walk but I comply anyway...

Last night a 8pm knee is yelling at me, TIME TO REST! NOW! I was hardly sleepy.

At 12midnight last night knee says to me, it's time to ice (again)

Of course I was dead asleep, comfy in my warm bed and yet...walked down and back up two flights of stairs to get ice.

At 3am this morning knee wakes me up again- NEED MORE ICE AND MAKE IT SNAPPY!! So of coure, I do it.

It's has become my new little temper-tantrum child. My knee. I "gave birth" to it. Now it's ruling my every waking/sleeping moment like a modern day demigod. I feel like getting it a baby bottle but I guess that's what the icing is...it's baby bottle.

Have pt later today and am going to have to speak with my pt about significant changes I want regarding therapy- I think she wants me to start doing squats today, ha! We'll see...

Also starting to notice more 'burning' sensation up and down the leg. Not concerned as I've been utilizing a good bit of trigger-point nerve therapy on the leg (has anyone done this before? It's feels wonderful on tight nerve points) and believe the 'burning' is simply a sign that nerves are regenerating.

But also find my IT band around hip beginning to get tight with the continued execution of my heel slides. Any thoughts?

Di
 
@Eyesnlegs
Good day dear: just checking in to see how you are.
It's early here..,about 6:30 am (est) but "baby" knee woke me demanding attention. Beginning my 6th week of recovery, can you believe how fast time has gone by?
How is life treating you...or should I say, how are you treating life?
Seeing my psych on Wednesday...will talk with him about some of the PTSD issues I've had- I suspect he hasn't been too concerned as I've left a couple of messages with his assistant about what's happened during my early recovery (PTSD and pain experiences) but have not heard back from him. Of course you know how busy these doctors are and surely if I were screaming at the top of my lungs to his assistant he would have contacted me.
May see if he wants to "tweak" my meds for the next couple of months...up my anti-depressant a bit. That's been done before a couple of times and only on a temporary basis. I also take a benzo twice to three times a day and that is what has really helped me to start calming down after the third week or so of post-op.
You are the very first person I ever "spoke" with on this website. I have a soft spot for you, Eyesnlegs, that I'll always remember, long after you and I part ways and carry on with our individual journeys...but today, just wanted to say 'Hello Out There' to you.
Going to look up Bessel Van Der Kolk now and research a bit.
Love that I inadvertently stumbled over your name, Pat. It fits. You've got it down, Pat.

Di
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom