Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

No....you didn't hurt anything but the soft tissue. You may have some extra pain and swelling for a few days, but it will go away.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Ouch! That is a very real fear--that we're somehow going to mess things up in there or damage our knees somehow. But those who know around here assure us that is pretty near impossible to do. I'm going to believe them! Hope you're not feeling too much soreness from that little episode. Rest, ice, elevate. Same mantra! Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,
I was about 6 days out of my first surgery when I got up off of the toilet and must have twisted my knee as the pain was almost unbearable. I didn't really worry that I had damaged my new knee as I had read on here that it is almost impossible to do damage by getting up and down and walking. I am quite sure you didn't do damage but I know it is very painful. Keep up the good work on your recovery.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Tha'ts good to know. Managed to get to church today with a friend and shoe-horned the right foot into the car with a bit of wincing. Then had a cup of coffee and a chat out in the sunshine. It's always good to do something that makes you feel normal! Now icing and elevating and ready for a snooze. The rom flexion exercise is going to have a day off today!
 
Re: TKR week five and getting excited!

I started the day with a half mile walk with one stick. The knee feels much more solid and dependable although still quite stiff and tight.
I am starting to feel that I can look forward to achieving my three goals for 2012 although there is still a long road ahead.
My plan is to have the second knee done at the end of January if the surgeon agrees.
My first goal is to get back to tour guiding by the beginning of May which gives me a 12 week recovery period. Then in June I want to dance at my best friend's daughter's wedding in France. Finally I want to make a trip to New Zealand in August to see my nephew get married.
While I am sitting with leg raised and gel pack in place looking out on a gloomy November day these things fill me with anticipation and the determination to get the new knee marching forward, soon to be followed by the second one!
 
Re: TKR week four question

D, love your goals, all involve travel in some form (although the first goal is your work), family and friends. Throw in some dancing and you have fun in your future. I am two weeks behind you and will enjoy the march towards your goals with you thru your posts. Onward!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Oldknees. Isn't it great to go through the recovery with people who really know what it feels like and wo are always ready to encourage. I hope you are making good progress too.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,
Love your goals! I just made it to church for the first time too last week, and you are so right! It feels great to do something normal again.

I read your post on my thread--you have quite the resume!! Sounds like a very interesting career in journalism. I worked for one other magazine prior to where I am now with the Marine Corps. My job now is such a great fit for me that it's hard to imagine working anywhere else. But, you know, being a tour guide sounds like great fun!

Your recovery seems to being going like clockwork so far! Keep it up! Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks Niki
I've posted on your thread. Good luck for three days' time.
Not sure about normal. I still feel I'm carrying a cannon ball around with me as a substitute for a knee!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane, lovely goals!! I hope you get to do each and every one of them! :yes 4:

My first and primary goal is to be ready to welcome the new grandson in February! I want to be able to play with him and his big sister! Although traveling sounds like a great goal too. :thumb:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Good evening, it is nice to go through this process with others. I am generally doing well but I allowed myself to get "behind the meds" this evening and will now pay the price for a few hours. However, it is a good lesson; one not to be repeated I hope!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Mountain Kat. That's a great goal too. I'm still waiting for my first grandchild!
Hi Oldknees. It's a lovely sunny morning here in the UK. I hope you are getting a few hours sleep over there. Getting the meds right can be a bit hit and miss especially if you are impatient like me in wanting to keep that fuzzy feeling at bay.
 
Re: TKR week five and getting excited!

My first goal is to get back to tour guiding by the beginning of May which gives me a 12 week recovery period.
How much walking do you do in your tour guides? How far?

I honestly think you might find it tough at 12 weeks. I have a regime for returning workers which most find very helpful but expecting to go straight back to long walks without the means to rest and elevate frequently might be a bit much to cope with. I know I couldn't have done it at that stage.

Phased return to work
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Josephine
I think you are probably right. I can pick and choose to a certain extent and I was thinking more about starting with coach tours that don't involve much walking but I know the most important thing is to protect the new knees so I won't do anything rash.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Oh, I forgot about the coach tours! So you're one of the guides that go around on those open topped red buses, then?

btw, I shall be in London on the 13th December. I'm attending a conference at the Royal College of Surgeons and then going to see War Horse in the evening. Staying at the Strand Palace Hotel as well! :cheers:

:th_heehee:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Good morning Diney, thank goodness you aren't a guide on an open air bus here in Seattle today. It is raining and cool here and they are expecting some of our ski resorts to open this weekend. Good news for them but I will be watching on the television; o skiing this year for me.

How is the recovery for your knee thus far? My in home PT tells me that my progress is right where it should be, still a bit swollen but I am able to get around well. In fact, am going out grocery shopping later today to see how driving and walking about goes. Hope all continues well for you, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Josephine
Enjoy your London trip. Warhorse is absolutely brilliant. I don't do the open topped buses. A typical coach tour for me takes in stops at Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London and St Paul's Cathedral ending at Harrods for tea!
Hi Oldknees
Glad your recovery is going well. Mine is too apart from a visit to my osteopath this morning. She had a look at the back of my knee which was sore and said my popliteal muscle was tight. She was very gentle but its really sore now. I hope I can do my walk tomorrow.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Evening, sorry to hear of your sore muscle. A slow, relaxing walk tomorrow might be just the thing for you; a chance to stretch it out while doing something you enjoy. My excursion out today was too much, I asked too much of my still healing knee and then spent an uncomfortable evening icing and elevating. I must learn some patience. Take care, have a good day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom