TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,

Your coach trip ending in tea at Harrods sounds perfect! I am so looking forward to a few trips to London again once the knee has settled. I did Buck House in summer and loved it but was crawling by the time I got the train home. But I feel Harrods and the V&A calling, so hopefully early next year I will be able to go.

You are a week ahead of me and it sounds like you're getting on well despite the muscle pain. I suppose we will all have good days and bad days. You've certainly got a full schedule for the next few months! When will you know for sure when they will do your other knee?

I have Christmas as a target - I want to be out with the dogs again by then.

Josephine - I've heard WarHorse is brilliant too and the puppets looked amazing on TV - the movement is so lifelike. I hope you enjoy it.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Bob
Well I did my walk. For the first time I managed about three quarters of a mile and although I took my stick I didn't use it! I was very pleased as I still had the muscle ache but it didn't impede the walking! Sorry you overdid it and hope you feel better now.
Deeden
The Buckingham Palace tour is tough even with good knees! I'm sure you will be back in London in the New Year.
My six week check up is Nov 30 and that's when I hope I will know about a date for the second knee.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,

My 6 week check is 30th. November too. I hope your consultant gives you good news about your knees - once you've got the other one done there will be no stopping you!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Well done! You are amazing!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Evening (close to morning for me), sounds like you had a great walk, 3/4 mile sounds like forever for me, and I am only two weeks behind you. Good for you, keep it up, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

What's the time difference between us then? It's 9.30 am here so I was thinking it would be 4.30am for you but thats New York time I think.
As to walking the last two weeks have made a huge difference. I never thought I would be doing what I am now. The knee and muscles seem to take a big step forward so to speak! So I am sure you will be doing at least as well as me soon.
 
Re: TKR week four question

We are three hours later than New York; on Pacific coast time. I believe we are eight hours from London time. Right now it is 1:43 am Seattle time. I am envious of your walking, it will be a good milepost to hit in my recovery, I love to hike and look forward to getting back to it. Enjoy your day, I am going to try to sleep; still having trouble sleeping longer than a few hours.
 
Re: TKR week four question

You can check that out here. Scroll down a bit and you have clocks showing all the six time zones of the US.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Bob
I get it! So It's now mid morning for you. Hope you slept better. I did two shorter walks today. I am looking forward to a nice family evening with a visit from my daughter and her husband and my son. Son's cooking a curry and all I have to do is sit and chat!
Josephine: thanks for the time clock!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Lovely sunny Saturday here in Sussex. Went for a walk with my daughter but my knee felt very tight and swollen. I'm five weeks post-op today and I know it's early days but it sometimes feels such a slog! I was going out to dinner tonight at a local restaurant with a group of friends but have cancelled because the thought of sitting with my knee under a table for three hours is just too much. Some days you need to rest and ice more than others.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I know what you mean about good days and bad days. I had a bad day on Thursday. On Tuesday I went to "Knee Class" at the hospital - an hour in the gym - then on Wednesday my son overslept so I drove him to work (35 mins round trip) - I felt quite safe, I'd practised a few emergency stops etc., already - then out to dinner on Wednesday evening.

Well all that did for me! I spent most of Thursday icing, resting, a few exercises etc. It taught me a big lesson - I will be more patient, I will, I will!

I think you are wise to cancel dinner tonight - it would be OK if you could lie on a couch, but sitting at a table does stress the knees. There will be many other opportunities, I'm sure.

It's a lovely day in here Hampshire/Berkshire too!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks Josephine
Yes I did read the article and am following it pretty closely. I'm still having most difficulty with the heel slides/pushing foot back beneath chair but as you have said I think it is still all to do with swelling.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Good evening, sorry to her about your dinnerplans but fully understand the need to ice and elevate. It is difficult to get comfortable with your leg bent to 90 degrees under a table for a couple of hours. I'm sure your friends understand and will give you a raincheck for next time.

I have often said that I would have a hard time retiring from the work force. After this period of inactivity (only about three weeks thus far!) I am more convinced than ever that I am destined to work for a good long time to come. This is driving me crazy! I can hardly wait to take longer walks as that may help with this feeling. Have a nice evening, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi B
It's a funny old time isn't it. I was too fuzzy to miss work or doing anything using my brain for the first week or two. But now as I start to progress it is hard not to get restless. I've started to update some of my tours with bits of research. And I'm enjoying reading a good book again. But still nothing beats going for a nice long walk or taking a party of people on a new tour. It's going to be a while yet!
 
Re: TKR week four question

I agree, nothing wrong with a little relaxation and a good book, however, this required relaxing is wearing a bit thin. Just finished a walk around our driveway; 6 laps and the dog sat in the middle of my circle wondering if the owner was a bit crazy. We have a long (1/4 mile) dirt road to our house but then a rather steep hill into the house driveway. Not ready for the hill yet but that will come in time. A pretty day here, sunny and cold. Hope your day was good
 
Re: TKR week four question

I believe that it is really tough allowing ourselves time to heal. We begin to feel better and then we think we can and should be able to do it all. Our bodies will eventually catch up with our minds.

In the meantime, try doing something different. Like maybe start a journal of your life for your children or maybe start some Christmas decorations. ANYTHING to keep your hands and mind busy!

Hang in there!
 
Re: TKR week four question

I agree, nothing wrong with a little relaxation and a good book, however, this required relaxing is wearing a bit thin.
Yeah, I figured when I started getting bored and restless (I'm usually happy for some relaxation) that was a sign I was progressing in my recovery.
Hang in there you guys.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks everyone. I got a lift to church yesterday which was great and then walked all of 100 yards to have a cup of tea with a friend who lives along the road! Today more resting and icing but the days are ticking by. Don't worry B you will soon be more than equal to that hill!
One lovely bonus here is that we are having a spectacular autumn with lovely sunny days and fiery colours in the leaves many of which which are still on the trees. A walk outside, however short is a pleasure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom