Bilateral TKR dinah's emerged! let the healing begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone and thanks for all the encouragement coming my way. The news from the physio this afternoon is home tomorrow or Sunday. It will be a different physio on over the weekend, so will see what he or she says. Have been given yet more exercises to do, bending leg back while holding onto end of bed, and rising up onto toes. The latter is easier as my legs feel so much stronger now! But it hurts of course to bend my knees, so I must make sure I am not doing too much of that! Glad to hear that your new knees are going along ok Jen and tooth fairy! I just have no idea why they do not ice regularly and elevate correctly at this unit. Everyone here is so kind and well meaning, I would feel churlish pointing out their shortcomings. They are also so busy they don't have time to chat. They just haven't done the research like we all have. If they had they would know about bonesmart! It should not be as busy tomorrow as there is no theatre list, so perhaps I will have time to tell them about it tomorrow. As I have been in a single room I haven,t been able to tell other patients either. Surgeon came by today and he is happy with my knees, X-rays are fine. I must say he has done a very neat job dressings clean and dry and very little bruising. I will post a picture when I get home. Hubby is busy cooking lovely things pea and ham soup and lamb hotspot yum I can't wait. Now that I have my appetite back I notice even more how stale and dried up the food is here!and toothfary I am really looking forward to living life in the slow lane for a while! Bring it on!
 
Dinah, great to hear fom you from the other side! You'll do better home when you can ice and elevate to your heart's content! My hospital didn't to that either. If it had not been for Bonesmart I would not have known. It really does help. That is what I am doing right now. Nice your husband cooks. We ate a lot of fast food and I got sick of that!
 
Hi Carolina girl. Yes I'm really lucky,he bakes bread too! Will go well with that blackcurrant jam that I made and the raspberry! I,ll let myself off from counting the calories for a while! :happydance: :heehee:
 
You sound so much better today. Here's hoping you get to go home tomorrow. Your own bed and your own space can't be beat. I, too, hate when I'm sound asleep and some hospital staff wakes me to ask if I need any pain meds or sleeping pills (!). Luckily, at the hospital here they generally leave you alone at night when you're asleep except at change of shift when they have to do vitals or labs, and I can pretty much go right back to sleep. I'll nudge the doctor on Monday if I don't hear from his scheduler, but I also know he's likely busy with a full surgery schedule, so I'll be patient unless or until I can't take the pain anymore, and I'm not there yet, thank God. I can't say I enjoy the pain and limitations, but I also know I'm not as bad as others who need surgery yesterday. I can still walk most days with just some pain, but there are days when it's difficult to walk at all. So, I do need it done, but it's not life or death yet. Keep up the recovery and keep in touch. Kim
 
You're doing great and will do even better once you're home. Just think, ice whenever you want it, our own bed, comfy chair, hubby waiting on you hand and foot. Aren't you just so glad the worst part is behind you?? Cheering you on from across the pond!
 
I'll nudge the doctor on Monday if I don't hear from his scheduler, but I also know he's likely busy with a full surgery schedule, so I'll be patient unless or until I can't take the pain anymore, and I'm not there yet, thank God. I can't say I enjoy the pain and limitations, but I also know I'm not as bad as others who need surgery yesterday. I can still walk most days with just some pain, but there are days when it's difficult to walk at all.

Oh dear Kim, sounds like you need the Dr to put you on board asap! Love your patient spirit, as you know that WILL come in handy. :heehee: You have been very supportive on here even without your date, I will send up a prayer along with yours for a date. :beg: I would say God's speed, but sometimes He likes to take his time. :shrug:

Hi Dinah, hopefully this is you right now. :zzz: :sleep: :zzz: :sleep: None of this! :mcoffee:
 
Thank-you bionic woman for you very kind words and encouragement. And thank-you for the prayers-I surely do need them. :thankyou:
Dinah-you're blessed to have a husband who cooks. If I allowed mine near my bread machine or my Kitchen Aid, he'd decimate them and I'd go bonkers........lol. All he can do is scorch his eggs for breakfast on weekends. And I have to run from the kitchen and go behind closed doors until the odor dissipates :rofsign: My kids cook, so I will likely have a few fresh meals when recovering. My youngest son has always picked a night and come over to make dinner for me when I've had surgery. My oldest daughter has either been in Texas, Belgium or Iraq for the last 10 years, but is finally here in town so she will likely also make a dinner or two for me. But to have a husband who can make meals for me would be heavenly. So, you are blessed, Dinah. I'm glad you get to go home soon-with the time difference it's possible you are on your way already or close to going home. Remember to take it easy and at your pace-not hubby's. I know from experience that many men tend to try to "fix" us or toughen us up, but that's not helpful and they never seem to get it. But we'll be here for you to whine to as much as you need to, if you need to. And we'll also celebrate the milestones with you. Kim
 
Had to write you and send positive thoughts my real name is Dinah too! Dinahs are tough we can do it!:cheers:
 
Wow bilateral knee replacements you guys impress me very much! Congrats to one and all! You are very special people I wanted too but at last my surgeon would not do it probably for the best I would of probably been a whimp! But admire each and everyone of you! Your advice here is also appreciative! :)

Just me, Linda
 
Hope to see your next report from home!
 
Hello all home at last! Had a good nights sleep Friday night and Saturday morning I was raring to go! Had to wait for the physio to put me through my paces and make the decision...frustrating as I was seeing folk who had their surgery on wed even Thursday, going off, but they like to hang onto the bilaterals a bit longer. Anyway, after what seemed like a very long morning she came to see me after lunch, she seemed quite impressed with my walking, I have already graduated from a frame to elbow crutches, and my knee bends seemed ok rom 85 both legs. the big test was the stairs. Quite daunting, especially as you have to hold one crutch with the other one somehow, so that you can hold onto the bannister rail. It was not easy, and was uncomfortable, but I managed it, and she gave me the green light. I was so pleased, because although very grateful for all the care, that day I just felt I had had enough of my hospital room with its uncomfortable chair and low footstool!however whether it was from the effort of the exercise or the pain meds, the queasiness had by then come back,so the thought of the drive home was not pleasant. I had also put lots of pillows in the car so my legs could be elevated,but there was not enough space to do that, the glove box was in the way..so pre oppers if you have a choice of transport coming home pick the vehicle with the most room for your legs.so the drive home was not pleasant. Felt sick all the way, but was'nt fortunately . once at home it was a big relief.wonderful to get in my comfy recliner and elevate my legs high enough...bliss. hubby has made so much wonderful food for the freezer and I had done likewise before surgery, that the freezer was stuffed and so he had taken out those annoying bottles of water I had put in. They were of course for my air cast cooler doh! But he hasn't taken much of an interest in that! Fortunately i had bought some koolpacks to so i can use those while we make some room! anyway it was not long after my delicious supper that I was ready for bed. With dh right behind me I managed the stairs! Then with the raised toilet seat the hospital had given me, and the frame I had bought thanks to the good advice I have received on here I was good to go! I put the leg elevator pillow I had bought in the bed, but I didn't like it, so I chucked it out! I was fine without it.wonderful to be in my own comfy bed. Slept well again, I,ve been so lucky with sleep, and apart from loo trips stayed there for the next 13hours!! Felt much brighter this morning! :flwrysmile:
 
It's so good to hear that you're home. I'm sure you will feel much better being there. You're doing really well, but now you must go at the pace your knees dictate and not at the speed you would like to, or think you should be going. Here's to a speedy and trouble free recovery and a pain free future. Linda x
 
Welcome home! You know the deal now--rest, ice and elevate. :sleep:
 
Glad you made it home Dinah. :yay: I hope you are relaxing as I type. :) I think I misquoted you, or another member on a thread by jes I thought you had mentioned something about loosing your Bilateral status because they were PKR's and was told there's no designation for it??? :scratch: Apparently that's not correct, so I apologize to you and jes for my mistake. I KNOW I saw it somewhere. maybe it was Jsankowski and she was concerned about the status w/them being done a couple of weeks apart. :what: I don't knowwwwwww, blame it on my med-head. :spin:

I'm just glad you're home in your recliner chair enjoying all the ice you want as soon as it freezes DH! :rotfl:

Speaking of going home, you mention your problem below.

I had also put lots of pillows in the car so my legs could be elevated,but there was not enough space to do that, the glove box was in the way..so pre oppers if you have a choice of transport coming home pick the vehicle with the most room for your legs

I'm 5' 10" so straight leg in the front seat wasn't happening at all!!! My kids figured that out right away and slide mum into the back seat, and I rested my leg on it. That was quick thinking on their part. So glad I had them. :giggle:

I only had one leg done, so if you're about to go home from the hospital, trust me... the back seat is the way to go! True story. :heehee:
 
You are doing so great after a BTKR. Congratulations. It always feels so great to be home and have your own bed and chair and time to go to bed as one chooses.
 
Hey Dinah,
So happy your home ,are now comfy and can ice whenever you want to. I hear you about the car ride home. Ugh! That was so uncomfortable, as was the ride down for my my pre OP appt. I thought I was going to die from the pain. Nasty!!

So glad to hear you are doing so well after having your BTKR's! You guys that have that done are just my hero's. Honestly! I can't imagine doing both at once and being so brave about it. You rock!!! :egypdance:

Hopefully now that you have been home for a couple of days, your hubby has put the ice bottles back into the freezer for your ice machine. I love them! They last so much longer than just ice cubes and are much cheaper than buying ice. It did take awhile for my husband to actually get the idea of why we were doing that but God love him,he has been keeping them all frozen for me as I'm sure your husband is doing for you.

Your husband sounds like such a wonderful, kind and generous man who adores you. Gotta love it that he wanted you to come home as soon as possible, so he could take care of you AND he was cooking you wonderful, delicious homemade meals = priceless!

I just want to know one thing, can I come over for some pea soup and ham? It truly is one of my favorites! I actually made that before I went into the hospital, thinking I would come home to that, but my husband ate it and I ended up giving some to my mother,so it was gone by the time I got here. Bummer for me! I also have been dying to make kale, sausage and bean soup but I haven't done that yet either. Seems to hard at the moment and my wonderful Hubbie has been doing his very best to cook.

So my Dear Dinah, I hope you are enjoying your down time, are icing like a maniac , are taking your pain meds on time and are well on your way to healing.

Cheers. Jennifer :egypdance:
 
Yeah back seat RaQia! Why didn't I think of that Doh!! I spose I thought it would be more difficult to get in at the back? But putting legs up on the back seat sounds like the way to go! I'll have to try that on Friday
When we have to go back there for a pt session. After that they say they can arrange for me to have pt closer to home.
Hi Jen, I'm reassured that it took your husband awhile to get the importance of the ice machine, because it certainly is mine...he still doesn't get it! I've used the ice packs so far, but not the cooler and wraps, must try and get him organised to help me with that tomorrow. He is just a guy who doesn't like to be told, or even politely asked. As I say I couldn't ask for a more caring husband, but he has to think of what to do. He makes it quite clear that' its a pain if I ask him for anything! Tonight I asked him for a piece of fruit, so he stomped off to the kitchen and came back with a peach with no plate, and no knife...how am I supposed to eat a messy peach ..like an apple? So I didn't eat it, I will eat it tomorrow. I don't mean to sound mean he had already cooked us a delicious chicken dinner. I am hardly asking for anything, I try to do as much as I can for myself when I am up having a walk, but you can't carry much when you are staggering about with crutches can you? Well he did offer to rinse out my ted stockings tonight so I will have a fresh pair after my shower tomorrow. I mentioned I was going to do it, and he took the job on, so gotta love him really!yeah Jen come on over for some pea soup, that was one of the things blocking the freezer and preventing the ice bottles from getting in. Hope to have some more of that tomorrow I need a lighter day after these big dinners. He likes me to eat a decent portion otherwise he thinks I don't like it!
I!ve had a really good day today. I am doing so well with the pain and mobility, it's unbelievable. I must have had the gentlest of surgeons. I've not much swelling and very little bruising" I'm so lucky! I go to my gp to have the staples out on Wednesday. Hopefully then they will leave the dressing off, there is no leakage, and I can post a picture oink the picture gallery! The only really uncomfortable thing that is happening is coming down stairs...just once a day! So go well everyone, and RaQia I hear you just nine more days...not long now, will soon be all over. I'm off for some zzzzs :sleep: :friends:
 
Hi, Dinah. Just checking in to see how you're doing. Sounds like you're coming along nicely. I'm sick, so my posts are short, but I hope, sweet. Kim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom