Bilateral TKR dinah's emerged! let the healing begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ditzy dinah I'm glad you had a bit of rest today. Yes,visitors will wear you out. I didn't want many when I was in hospital and I even told my husband not to drive all the way in to the city to visit. All I wanted to do was nap in and out 24/7.
Your post reminded me about the dreaded toilet trip. I discovered if I inched the foot of my most painful knee out a few inches and pushed more with the better knee was easier to get up. You'll find your own way in time. All those early days seem so far away now! Wow, it was only nine weeks ago!
Rest as much as you can and is it possible to break the chair times into shorter and more frequent sessions?
take care and thinking of you
Wanda
 
I ache for you, Dinah. I am glad that despite everything you seem to be in good spirits. Take your recovery at YOUR pace-not at the nurse's or PTs or doctor's paces. It's your body, remember, and only you know how you feel. Do me a favor-throw these words back at me when I'm recovering in case I am too foggy to follow my own advice...lol. I hope you get to go home to your own space soon-there's no place like your own bed to rest. Keep up the good work and get better soon. Kim
 
Wow, Dinah
That's unbelievable that they left you sitting up all day! Of course you were sore and uncomfortable. Ugh. Bad news. When I was in, I only sat in the chair for about 20 mins tops and that was more than enough. I hope you are having a better time of it and they came in to give you your pain meds ON time , fed you something good, didn't leave you without ice ( I had mine on 24/7) and had you comfortable in bed instead up in a chair. :console2:
 
Please enlighten me what are the pain pill implants ? I need all the pain relief they will give me . I am having surgery in Altoona, PA . In the morning . Congrats! On how well you seem to be doing . Your posts are very impressive . Thanks for all info .
 
Just caught up with your thread and I must agree with everyone else here. That was far too long for you to be sitting in a chair. 20 mins is the longest you should be sitting. Poor you. Busy or not that was an oversight on their part. Hope you have a better day today and get your appetite back a little. I think once you start eating a little more you will have more strength. Take care :)
 
Glad you had a better day yesterday. Go well today. Linda x
 
I'm curious to know if the pain pill is like the pain ball I had. The surgeon implanted a tube into my knee, that was connected to a small ball that continuously bathed the joint in pain meds. Unfortunately mine slipped out and was kinda useless but I'm hoping Dinah's is providing her great relief.

Hoping your feeling much better today, Dinah and the pain meds are keeping you comfortable. Xoxo
 
Oh, Dinah, do I ever remember those first awful days in-hospital! (And I had only one knee at a time done). Please use the call button at your bedside--do not abide being made to suffer. And in the loo there's a pull-chain that activates the call switch--in fact, it was a rule at my first KR's hospital that we were NOT allowed to stand up and get off the throne on our own, but HAD to call for the patient-care tech to help us up & out. Also, you have the right to ask for as many pillows as you need to get your knees above hips and toes above nose. Sitting in that lounge chair may seem like torture but it is psychologically important to your transitioning into feeling less like an acute-care patient and more like someone in post-op recovery. Just moving between bed & chair often enough can help prevent bedsores and clots as well. Remember those breathing exercises with whatever plastic tchotchke they gave you to prevent pneumonia and P.E. You WILL get better. It takes time.....but time marches on, regardless of whether or not or how fast or slowly we want it to!
 
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your good wishes and continued support, it means so much. Everyone is so kind here,but there is no regular icing and no elevation toes to nose. I had a couple of ice packs on for 20 mins on day one and that was it! I really don,t know what the pain capsule was, it wasn't something that was left in to be topped up, just something that was put in at the time, so didn't last very long. I expect it is standard practice. My main problems have been, after an alert first day,I have been nauseous and whacked out.haven't watched tv or read no interest,too tired,so have slept a lot which has been refreshing. Have made sure since my mistake on day one that I get the. Maximum and regular pain relief and this has enabled me to sleep well and comfortably. Yesterday was a big day! I got a shower,and stood for that, my legs feel strong when I'm standing and so straight! Then I went for my X-rays and had to stand and move my legs for that. When I came back
The physio was ready for me and I threw up again as soon as I stood up! But I still managed to have a good walk,the furthest I've been the physio measured my rom and it was 70 both knees.. They gave me an injection of cyclizine for the sickness and that has been fine ever since. Feel so much better this morning! Enjoyed my breakfast for the first time. Doc has been round this morning and says he would like my rom to be at 90 as he says that's a functioning rom,so to push it" so we will see what it is when the physio comes round, but I have no intention of pushing anything! I however would like to be a bit more independent before I go home. I.m still attached to the foot pumps, so can,t get up unaided, and these legs feel like lumps of lead! They are so difficult to move from side to side. Once I can get up and down on my own I will feel more confident I'm sure. My husband is hoping I'll be coming home today, but I think tomorrow might be more realistic...but you never know. Can't imagine yet managing any stairs. Am looking forward however to getting my legs right up in my recliner and icing them!! :SUNsmile:
 
Good to hear from you, Dinah. I've been wondering how you're doing. Sounds like you're recovering on your own terms and in your own time. Keep us up to date on your progress. I think I'm going to e-mail my doctor soon if I don't hear from his scheduler just to make sure I'm not overlooked. I'm likely not, but it never hurts to touch base occasionally. Plus, my knee has been kind of snowballing the last couple of weeks, if you know what I mean. Anyway, keep up the good work. Kim
 
Hi Kim, nice to hear from you too! I think you are right to give your scheduler a nudge,it must be so frustrating for you to see the September sapphires all going down one by one, and you still without a date! Especially when your knee is getting worse. Good luck with that. Once you get a date you can at least begin to countdown and prepare. I am watching all the patients who had surgery on Tuesday going home today and I'm still here! But I don't mind. As you say I am going along at my own pace,and as long as I feel there is progress each day,I am fine with that. I have seen the physio now and have graduated from a walking frame to elbow crutches. I have got leg raises to do now now and that is ok. My rom is now 85 on the right and 80on the left,so that is progress from yesterday
. The foot pumps have also been discontinued so I can get up by myself to go to the loo now,and that is a relief! The physio is coming back this afternoon, I know she will want me to be able to manage stairs before I go, and will have to talk about what aids I will need. Of course I am looking forward to going home, and my husband wants me home, but I want things to be as right as they can be first!! :angel:
 
Sounds like you are doing better today! I had to have the anti nausea stuff as well. I actually told them I get nausea when I have any anesthesia so they made sure I got that before. It definitely helped! Glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast. I hope it was yummy :)

I am at a loss as to why your hospital hasn't packed your knees in ice all the time. I mean it's certainly cheap enough and provides massive pain relief. That along with your pain meds would make you as comfortable as possible. I can understand why your Hubbie wants you to come home today. He misses you and probably feels he can do a better job of taking care of you. Certainly he can swaddle your knees in ice and tip you upside down, so your toes are above your nose. :heehee:

I am proud of you for getting them both done at once. I only had the one done and while doing well, I certainly wouldn't want to have both of them done at once. Heal fast my friend. :friends:

Jen and her new knee, Eunice

RTKR 8/26/2013
MCL/meniscus. 3/12/2013
 
[Bonesmart.org] dinah's emerged! let the healing begin!
Sounds to me like you'll certainly be ready by tomorrow, if not today, to go home. There is something truly liberating about being back in your own space---makes you feel more in control. And it's so good to be able to move to another room if you feel like it or just step out on your porch to breath in some nice fresh air. And if you do fall asleep, there won't be someone there waking you to take your vitals for the 100th time.


Take care, Dinah, and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] dinah's emerged! let the healing begin!
 
You sound great ditzy dinah
You are making fabulous progress for bilateral knees.
It will be lovely for you to get home and hopefully that will come soon.
I had problems with sickness and found cyclizine injections worked well for me too. I have some cyclizine tablets here at home that I can have if needed. At the moment I am taking one in the morning and it makes all the difference. It might be worth you asking for some to go home with.
Take it gently and expect to be living life in the slow lane for the next few weeks,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :bicycle2:
 
You've made it thru! Hooray for you and your new knees.:yay:

It sounds like home will be a better place for you and I hope your recovery continues without any hitches. Let us know how your're doing.
Linda
 
Hi I think you are doing great! The stairs are not too bad and I'm sure you will get sprung very soon.
watching you
Wanda
 
Am looking forward however to getting my legs right up in my recliner and icing them!! :SUNsmile:

I bet you are. Dorothy said it best in the Wizard of Oz... "There's No Place Like Home". Now that you've got your foot pumps off you can click your heels as many times a necessary till you get home. :beg: Then all you'll need is Toothfairy to come along with her magic pixie dust. Lala Laaaa! :angel:


Certainly he can swaddle your knees in ice and tip you upside down, so your toes are above your nose. :heehee:

What an image, I can see it now. Tell Hercules to go easy on you. :console2: Although, after watching you endure this, he must have more insight into how painful it is and your abilities. He's probably home now thinking of ways to pamper, comfort and support you when you get home. :friends:

Hang in there... one more day. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom