Bilateral TKR dinah's emerged! let the healing begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dinah, Can you send the whambulance over here if you're not gonna use it.. I got big plans for it today! :tantrum: I feel you 300 % on the lack of control, running out of supplies, and having them replenished w/something you don't really prefer. I hate when my boys cook, and leave a disaster behind for ME to clean up, or fuss about! :gaah:I'm like... it wasn't that good. :heehee:

It's so hard having to rely on others, especially if you're a control food-freak like me. I am totally thankful for the folks who bring me stuff, but sometimes it's not what I would buy if I could GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! :tantrum:Oh and YES, to go back to square one is getting old quick! :hairpulling: My kids still see me as the carefree, medicinal stupored person, who came home from the hospital w/ minimal pain on Thursday DUE TO THE MEDS! Now that the hospital cocktail :martini:has worn off, I'm in PAIN and I have to ask them to do stuff again.:hissy: I'm really not in the mood for another Mid-life Crisis breakdown, so I hope they jump on the help mum band-wagon soon. :yes:

I can't wait til I can jump in a grocery store buggy and do my own shopping. :egypdance:I have a really good friend who goes with me and it's a HILARIOUS experience. :loll:Right now I want some fresh fruit, but it ain't happening. lol Oh well, it's so hard going back to the beginning stagesof pain again, with the stiffness and bone crushing feeling first thing in the morning. Jumping up to run to the restroom in the middle of the night, is no picnic either. :no-fin:

Okay, I'm about done with my vent for today... not really :umm:, but I'm getting sleepy due to my med-head and the Oxy is messing with my typing. :rotfl:

I hope your kids clean up this time and hubby doesn't lose it on them. :hissy: He's already upset about the bread machine, so he doesn't need anything else to tick him off. Besides, you're not ready to fly in from the top of the ropes and pin him to the mat Pro-Wrestling style, so he can quit gripping. :rofsign:
 
Somehow family stuff does not go on hold while we are in recovery no matter how we wish. The world keeps revolving on its usual paths and we are the ones out of step while we are recovering and cannot move as fast as the rest of them. Comforting in one way that nothing really changes.
 
Hey there! I like to think I am not a control freak, but if truth be told, when it comes to food, I've got to admit I am! :hissy: Just like you RaQia I want fresh fruit! I am lucky though I have got the apples, and I pick some every day, the trees are those that fan out against a wall, espalier I think they are called, anyway, which makes it really easy to reach. So hop on a plane and come and pick some, there's plenty for you! :egypdance: Now hubby knows I want fruit, so he buys me some navel oranges, because I eat 2 or three a day nov-jan. But this September and he ha n't twigged bless him, although I mention it often enough that it is not the season for the good ones yet!! So these ones will be tasteless...oh well I will just juice them to make up for the oj, he hasn't got!! :tada:
Yesterday turned out ok. Once daughter had called I got up and did the mashed potatoes and veg for the shepherds pie, so when hubby came in from his ride, all he had to do was pick them up, there was nothing left to do...they had just better not think I am going to do this every day! :angel: Yesterday was a real Indian summer day, so before dinner we went to our local pub, which not far at all, closer than town, and we sat in the beer garden. I managed to get my feet up on a bench, so Kees did not complain. Today is another gorgeous day and hubby has taken daughter and partner to the seaside for a run (oh the athlecticism of the young!) :dancy: hubby wanted to take me too, but I am not up to such a trip yet, so I stayed behind, so what did I do? Cleared up all the breakfast things of course..and daughter was coming supposedly to look after me. Then the jelly stand came today, so now 3lbs of damsons and 5lbs of apples are stewing on the stove. I have just sat down, and I am tired. Tonight we are having leftovers! I'm done for today" :groan:
!!as lee says family stuff never changes really. Oh well, daughter has tomorrow to redeem herself, cos I'm going to set and bottle jelly and nothing else!!
 
:rofsign: Dinah your posts are alive and humorous. I just lol about "hubby and the oranges" Sounds like a TV show. You keep on making that lemonade, Oops I mean orange juice. :tada: lol As soon as I'm done icing and elevating, I'm gonna hop on a plane to pick some apples. I'll make sure to bring my ODIC card with me just in case. :whistle:

The beer garden sounds lovely. :egypdance: I'm glad you're getting out and enjoying the beautiful weather. It's pretty nice here too. unfortunately i'm gonna have to just open a window to bring the outside in for now. I've been trying to come up with a nice 1st outing for me once I'm able to tackle the stairs and my pain level decreases. Right now my blinds are closed and my leg is elevated, I need to event a "Clap Open"" mechanism for the blinds. :heehee: I plan on dozing off soon. :zzz: Actually, it's my body doing the planning, I'm just along for them ride.

Hope your daughter redeems herself. My kids finally got back on board, although my eldest is so busy with work and school. He hasn't really been home. Okay, so I'm nodding off as I type :yawn: , so I guess I'll call it quits and let the Oxy take me to see "Lucy." :rolleyes:

Oh, did I tag you on my page for a music video. It's a "flash mob"' thing we're gonna do as soon as we're all well. :happydance: It's hilarious, so check it out. HEY! A girl can dream! :beg:

:yawn: Can't believe how sleepy I am... Oh, I forgot. Guess who went to bed around 1 am and woke up @4 am :mcoffee:

Good Day :thud:
 
Well daughter made a strange vegan concoction, not really a good idea to try out a new recipe on my husband...! Not her best effort but it was ok...pity really because she is a good cook really and cooking from scratch as a vegan is a real challenge. The best bit is she made an apple crumble with the apples you left behind RaQia, and we were all so stuffed, that we hardly ate any, so hubby and I have got that to eat for the rest of the week! While she was cleaning up, I was boiling up and setting the jelly, then potting it up. It looks great the jelly stand was a great success!
Daughter and her partner went Back to london today, and hubby went back to wrk and I must say I enjoyed the peace of the afternoon, felt very tired. Going to just rest and do light exercises for the next couple of day. Next challenge is we are going back to the same pub this timer for a pub quiz on Friday evening! That will be quite a milestone . go well and continue to take plenty of rest! Very early days tstill for you! :sleep:
 
Dinah, just Fed X that apple crumble on over here. Maybe it will help with awful day I'm having. :cry:Long story, don't want to rehash not even one SYLLABLE of it! :gaah:It's on my thread, so if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep... Have at it! :heehee:

Sorry about your daughter's dish. I know all about trying something new. I do best when it's my recipe, or I add my own twist to it. The pub things sounds fun. :egypdance:Glad you're getting time to yourself today.
Well, gonna run. I'm either going to watch a movie, take a nap, or both! WHAT A DAY! :groan:
 
Hi Dinah. So glad you seem to be doing well, and sooooo sorry I've not been here for you. I am trying to recover from my illness, so hope to be here some more in the near future. Take care and I am so happy for you! Kim
 
Just zipping through to check on you. I should be asleep and OFF THIS SITE , so I won't stay long. (Ssssh! don't tell daughter stalker)
Just wanted to see what's new with your recovery my friend.:friends: I'll come back through soon. :bicycle2:
 
Maybe it will help with awful day I'm having. Long story
Hi RaQia I checked over on your thread, boy are you guys having fun over there! Where does all that energy come from?? Certainly not from knees...yet! It is all the anticipation of what is to come!! Count me in on the public display of dancing, and twirling the Teds above our heads! Yes I am defo up for that!! 4 weeks now today and the teds have gone bye byes...forever I hope! Oh the freedom!!:spin:
I am so sorry for your dreadful day and the trouble you have been having with the pharmacies and the employees who are unable to think logically! or empathetically. I mean what is so difficult? It is just that they are so bound up with rules and regulations, throughput and ticking boxes that they are unable to make independent decisions and think for themselves! Brick wall syndrome.:headbang: I hope sense prevailed and you were able to get the meds you needed in time...you cannot be without post op meds so soon after surgery. Why do they make it so difficult in the US? I just called up my gp surgery, and a 4 week repeat of my take home meds were waiting to be picked up in 48 hours!:ok:

I'm either going to watch a movie, take a nap, or both
Hope you managed to do both, that is just what I have been doing as often as possible! and what I plan for later today!!:sleep:
 
I am trying to recover from my illness, so hope to be here some more in the near future.
Hi Kim, good to hear from you. I am so sorry you have been ill. diverticulitis can be so uncomfortable, and you seem to have had a nasty bout. Hope you are feeling much better now. Thanks for all your good wishes:console2:
 
Hello, have had a hectic few days!:spin: Trying to learn how to pace this recovery and not always suceeding!! Have passed a few milestones! Friday I had one friend over in the afternoon, and another in the evening Phew! :dancy:Just had hubbys soup from the freezer for lunch and fish n chips from the local chippy down the road for tea! (dinner). Then it was off the the quiz at the local Working Mens Club, which was even closer to home than the pub, so fine with walking there. Milestone passed there was sitting down for a whole evening with my legs bent as normal. It was a long evening, and I tolerated that surprisingly well! Managed to get the legs up on another chair a couple of times. Also sat on a normal loo for the first time! Bit of a toughie getting down and up again!:groan: Glad for my raised toilet seat when I got home again! and....we won the quiz!! by one point! :thumb:The prize was a photo shoot at a posh photographers and £75 gift voucher to spend there. I expect they will want us to spend far more, but I don't think so! So I have been contacting eldest daughter who lives near enough, and who also has my two grandsons, to arrange a date to attend. I will go too, as I should be driving by then, will be past the 6 weeks mark, so granny might be in a few of the photos! Should be an experience!!:happydance:
The next morning,as my friend stayed over, I got up and cooked us a full English Breakfast, and then in the afternoon after a suitable rest I went food shopping with hubby for the first time! Just went locally, so he drove to town, and we walked up the main street, but it is not long, so not far really. So good to be able to buy the food I wanted!! :yes!:but I was tired by the time we got home, and have been tired ever since!:mcoffee: Unfortunately when we got home we discovered our hall ceiling to be leaking. This has happened before, and we paid a plumber to fix it, then had the ceiling replastered, and hubby repainted it....all for it to happen again!:umm: So this time hubby spent the rest of the weekend chasing parts, and tools,and doing the job better himself! At least we hope so. Water had accumulated up there, so we are still having the odd drip, but we hope the ceiling will dry out without bumps, so that it doesn't have to be replastered again!:beg: So the Sunday lunch that he was cooking I ended up doing....oh well, good job he is handy!

So the energy drain I have been made well aware of! I have just been resting ever since, and lightly doing my exercises, but my knees have not been complaining..so lucky there.:SUNsmile:

I have been thinking about the prospect of going back to work, and there have been many unwelcome changes at work recently, so the prospect is not appealing. I have a new employing body for one, and a dismantling of my old dept, and new processes to learn, none of which I am looking forward to. so I have made the momentous decision to retire in January!:yay: The retirement age for women in this country used to be 60, it has recently gone up to 65, and for younger women such as my daughters it will eventually be 67. None of these changes affect those born before 1950 which includes me. So I feel very lucky. we baby boomers seem to have had the best of it.:egypdance:
Funnily enough I have had a letter from Human Resources today making an appointment to visit me at home with my line manager to "discuss ways in which they can support me to return to work". I mean what is it about major operation 10 - 12 weeks recovery before returning to work that they don't understand!!?? :doh:They even say I can have a colleague or a union rep to support me? Why would I want that if this was just a supportive chat?? :shocked:Unbelievable! Well I will be going to see my gp before then and ask for a further sick note, and then as far as I am concerned there will be nothing further to discuss! They can splutter all they like!:hissy: I expect they fancy a jolly afternoon out in my very pleasant small market town! You would think they have better things to do! I am sure it will take the wind out of their sails when I give them notice of my intended retirement date! they do not know yet!!

Rant over, thanks for letting me vent, anyone else have similiar experiences?

all the rush of visitors seems to be over now. Got stepson coming on Sunday, but he will go out on a bike ride with hubby, then my own son is coming next weekend. In between I just intend to relax!:tada:
 
Work is always an issue. For me the first hurdle was having another surgery the same year and how much time I had that would guarantee my job (we have a max of 3m in one year- rolling calendar that we can be off) so had to consider the what ifs. Then it was when is a good time depending on insurance and work projects. Scheduled everything and then the timeline for a major project was moved- decided I was going to take care of myself anyways because they might move the date later and I would be stuck. Of course, the question from everyone is when will you be back - I am thinking 6 weeks since that is all I have and will return at least part time and use up some more of my vacation time. Also, getting emails regularly with questions. Makes it hard to deal with when on pain meds but need a job at least 5-6 more years before I can retire.

I am happy for you that you can retire in January. I have always enjoyed working but there have also been some changes and a new CEO and it is much more stressful and who needs constant stress in their lives. I am lucky that it is only 5-6 yrs more and time flies.

Rest and enjoy the peace and quiet.
 
I want to comment on this whole page, but I've just had P/T so I'm exhausted and weak from the meds/surgery. So, I'll hit the high points.

Certainly not from knees...yet! It is all the anticipation of what is to come!! Count me in on the public display of dancing, and twirling the Teds above our heads! Yes I am defo up for that!! 4 weeks now today and the teds have gone bye byes...forever I hope! Oh the freedom!!

:yay::yay::yay::yay: Good for you!!!! I have two more weeks of my lovely hose. I told my P/T today that I had an extra pair which I was saving till I "went out." lol I think the song for the Ted dance needs to be Dynamite. There's a line talks about throwing your hands up in the air. So we can go, "I throw my Teds up in the air sometimes..." :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ISo good to be able to buy the food I wanted!!

I feel you on being able to shop for your own groceries. I'm thankful for people who've helped me out with food, or even shopped for me... but there's nothing like being able to go pick out your own.

So the energy drain I have been made well aware of!
Ditto! Oh, and I break out in a sweat and feel like I'm gonna pass out if i "sit" too long. As much as I love it, I'm not ready for company yet. :thud:

Funnily enough I have had a letter from Human Resources today making an appointment to visit me at home with my line manager to "discuss ways in which they can support me to return to work". I mean what is it about major operation 10 - 12 weeks recovery before returning to work that they don't understand!!?? They even say I can have a colleague or a union rep to support me?

leejaa and Dinah, apparently its in the air! I have to update every few weeks like I was in a rear end car accident and I'm claiming "whiplash!" Oh, and they're moving people around on my job like chess pieces. Not in the mood to come back to an unnecessary change. :no-fin:

I am sure it will take the wind out of their sails when I give them notice of my intended retirement date! they do not know yet!!

:egypdance::egypdance:Good for you lady!

Oh and BOOO to the leaking roof. :hissy::gaah:

I'm pooped, time for a nap! :zzz:
 
The energy drain is so much fun. PT came today and I am now on a cane - slow but on a cane plus I have to have it in my left hand since now it is the right knee and I have to concentrate on that and cannot walk smoothly- could not anyway. After she left and we did not do anything huge - some leg exercises - some leg massage where my muscles are bunching and a short walk outside in the warmth and sun. Anyways, she left and I was hot and sweating s I got in my recliner, turned on the air conditioner, ice on my leg, pain pill and TV on and next thing I know it was 2hrs later and I had a nice nap.
 
Lee, I just woke up about an hour ago from about a 4 hr nap! lol Oh, and I'm STILL tired. :yawn: But God knows we needed it. :yawn: Hope it doesn't mess with our sleep tonight. :beg:

Hi Dinah!:bicycle2:
 
Miss youuuuuuuuuuuuu :friends:I hope things are going so well that you're out and about enjoying life! :tada:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom