Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's LTKR.....Done!

I want to say something about stockpiling pain medications.
Although it is natural to feel that you want an "emergency supply", in case you run out or your surgeon is mean about prescribing pain medication after surgery, it is not a wise practice to save medications and take them without your doctors knowing. Your doctors should always know what medications you are taking, because they could interact with other prescribed meds.
While it's probably OK to have a few extra pills to tide you over a weekend (when you can't get your prescription re-filled) I think it would be unwise to keep more than that.

One more thing (from past professional experience) - Please take extra care to store all medications well out of reach of children. We all know how these curious little people can find things in places we never thought they would, and it would be dangerous if they found and took your meds.
 
I hear what you are saying. And I think this is one of those things that just depend on your personal situation, and you use common sense and know what your body can tolerate. Also great point about safe storage and away from kids. Also about drug interactions. So in my case I would only supplement the same drug if I felt the surgeon would not provide me what I need and what I know I can tolerate. I take no other rx dugs, and have no kids at home. Now, that's not to say I will use them, just sorta a comfort zone IF I need it.
 
My OS prescribed relatively small amounts of the narcotics at time. I was able to call and talk to his nurse about getting refills. We'd have a brief conversation about how often I was taking them and my pain levels and then I'd get a refill.

I think many docs just want to monitor your narcotic useage (which I is fine as far as I'm concerned as long as they are willing to work with you.) The extremes of arbritrary cut offs or prescribing tons of pills at a time is where we get into problems, imho.
 
@sistersinhim I wonder if your staple removal was painful because they were in longer than mine? I would think the skin would start to heal over the staples after a while. Just a thought.

I cancelled my PT session for today. I felt like I had done too much yesterday and my knee was telling me, "Enough already!" So I took it easy today and I'm feeling somewhat better. Tomorrow will be my 2 week anniversary with my new knee. I'm starting to get cabin fever pretty bad. Hopefully I will be able to get out soon for just a little bit. Don't want to overdo it though.

I agree with those of you who said you felt the doctors just want to monitor the narcotic use more closely. I'm fine with that, as long as those who really need them for pain control can get them. I go for my first checkup with my OS on Monday. I will be needing a pain med refill. As long as I meet with my doctor, I am sure there won't be a problem. It is his staff that seems to really encourage getting off pain meds very early. I'm sure they have no concept of what we deal with when we have this surgery. We'll see what happens on Monday.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
In my OS office I saw the PA my first post op visit and had no trouble getting more pain medications.
 
Well, I have 10 acetaminophen/codeine and I've had them 10 years, so I'll probably have them another 10 years. They are safe with me. :wink: They do give me a sense of security that if I run out of prescribed meds and am in pain, they are there for me.
 
Hey there @Diane LTKR How are you doing today? I see you have not posted in a few days, so just checking on ya. Hopefully you are doing so well you are busy living, and not just tied to the computer.

Thinking good thoughts for you my fellow Johnstown and Florida friend :)
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Suz
Me too hopes you are doing well-! We love our Diane's around here! = )
 
Aw, thanks so much @dianehelen and @Suz for checking on me. I just came back from my post op appointment with OS. Everything is great....so good to hear that. I also got refills on my percoset and tramadol without any hassle... So that's great too. I am a little over two weeks post op today and feel like I am doing well. Pain is pretty well controlled as long as I take meds on time. OS said I could go to outpatient PT if I wanted to....I choose not to go. I know that the Bonesmart recovery protocol is SO much better than the structured physical therapy. Also got the OK to stop wearing those very attractive TED hose. What a relief. Incision looks really good. Can go in the pool in about another week. Looking forward to that. About ready to transition to my cane. Feeling more stable everyday. Will probably visit my office later this week just to see everyone. I actually am starting to miss my work so I must be feeling better. Hope everyone is having a good day.
@dianehelen I know your surgery date is coming up this month. Hopefully some of your anxiety is being relieved by reading all the good stuff here on Bonesmart. Just know, I will be here for you as I am sure everyone else will be.
 
WOW WOW WOW JUST WOW! You cant imagine how happy I am for you and how encouraging that seems. You are one super woman success story. Thanks for checking in and with such an awesome update
 
Yippee! Clapping hands for joy for your good report! And now you are finally out of those TEDs! You're only 2 weeks out, I wouldn't be going by work yet. It's much too early and you don't want the bosses to think that you're really to come back yet. If they see you they just might think that. Maybe you could just meet your coworkers at lunch sometime. I'm sure that would help. I didn't go anywhere except to my OS once during my whole first month. For you to be thinking about work already is outstanding!
 
:wow: What a wonderful report Diane! So happy for you and I know things will get better and better as you continue to recover the BoneSmart mantra way!

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's LTKR.....Done!
 
:wowspring:That's wonderful, I'm so glad you are doing so well!!!
 
Thanks for all the good thoughts. @sistersinhim when I mentioned about stopping by work, I really just meant to visit with my staff...I miss them. No worries about the boss seeing me because, fortunately for me, I am the boss. I'm very blessed in that I can decide how much time I need to take off for recovery. I certainly know I'm not ready to actually go back to work yet. I'm thinking on just stopping by to " catch up." I love my job and really miss it. Our agency works with kids who have been abused and I've been the Executive Director there for the past 15 years. When I had my other knee replaced 3 years ago, I was off for about 8 weeks and then went back part time. I am thinking this will be about the same time frame. Hope you all are having a great day.
 
God bless you for the work you do. My parents were foster parents to some abused kids and it was heartbreaking to see their pain.

I'm so glad you're doing so well in your recovery! Wonderful news.
 
Oh good, you're the boss and can go back when you're ready! That certainly has to be a relief! And what a wonderful blessed position you have. You are so needed!
 
just checkin on ya :flwrysmile:

Still sailing along, with your recovery? You are one of my beacons of light, so I like to see your moving along posts.

Hope you are having a better than average Saturday with your new knee
 
@dianehelen Thanks for checking on me. I actually had a few hours of normalcy yesterday...went to Cracker Barrel for lunch with my husband...oh, it felt so good! I had my ice pack in the car, just in case, but I really didn't need it. I was kind of tired when we got home but my knee was fine. I feel like I'm doing well at a little over 3 weeks. Have been able to cut down my percoset to one every 6-7 hours. Sleeping actually has not been a big problem this time around...it was with my first TKR. I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE THIS TIME IS THAT I ICE ALMOST CONSTANTLY...even through the night. It really helps me as much, if not more, than meds. I know your surgery date is coming up. I can assure you that you will be happy to have it over and start recovery...knowing that this time the pain is temporary and will get better.
Well, back to watching the Olympics...I am a real Olympic junkie, totally addicted. At least if I have to be home onus for awhile I can OD on the Olympics!
 
I'm so glad you are doing well and able to do a little more!!
 
Back
Top Bottom