Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's LTKR.....Done!

Hope things are going well today. PT can be helpful in showing you the correct way to do the exercises. I did exercises but that didn't mean long, grueling sessions either. Also my PT worked in more and different ones gradually. You really don't need to be doing much at this point.
 
Hopefully they won't give me any trouble with this


I hope so too, some drs can be a bit of a pain in the butt with this. For me, I have a nice extra stockpile of my oxy 10/325's , ya I know, only take what dr rx, but, IF I have any issues, I know I have what works for me and what I need :). The last 2 surgeries I had over the last few months, I made sure I got as much as they would give me, never refused a rx, and now I feel like I have a back up if needed. I do well with oxy and know how to combat the nausea and all that goes with it, still a good trade off for pain. I also dont have any issues with addiction, to pills at least, my addictions come in MUCH colder containers and usually involve something with nuts, chocolate and caramel ;)
 
@kneeper had my second pt session today. Did go better than the first. She has helped me with doing the exercises correctly as you said. My extension is 0 and rom is 84. It's getting there.
@dianehelen I did get a refill for my Percocet...but only gave me 40 instead of the 50 that I had in the first prescription. I hate having to ration these out because I never know when he will just cut me off. Really wish I could freely take the meds as prescribed and needed, but I will run out and then what. Thank goodness for ice!
 
Sometimes doctors will give you a prescription for tramadol to use. My OS uses that as a step down from narcotics. When used with Tylenol it did seem to help me more than Tylenol alone.
 
a refill for my Percocet...but only gave me 40

Thats exactly why I stockpile my own backup. Currently I have 40 oxy 5/325 and 25 10/325. Some are from a tooth extraction a few months ago, some from my brain surgery, some from gall bladder, and even made my husband fill the rx they gave him last month for 10 extra 5/325 for his little hospital adventure last month.

It's just not fair because some abuse this strong painkiller, that those who don't and really need them have to go thru such a hard time to get them.
 
I wonder how long Tylenol/codeine keeps. I have 2 prescriptions from years ago when dentists would give them to you. I never took them because I never needed them. I wonder if they would still work. I think they are about 10 years old.
 
Good, thanks. I just counted them and there are only 10, but that's a backup if needed.
 
Just a word of caution to anyone who works. I know I can be drug tested at anytime with a random blood test and if I come up positive (they even tested me for tramadol) I had to have a prescription that was within a years time at the most.
 
Ya but if you have a rx, and supplement with "extras" you have of the same drug, you should be ok.

I'm fortunate that I work for myself, and I don't require random testing hehe , I don't require much work either. Ok im being a smart butt now..
 
I will keep the Tylenol/codeine in case I run out of prescription meds - as a backup, as a security blanket. I'm very, very poor at taking medications. Always forgetting. I am on no prescribed meds for anything. I guess that's why I forget, because I don't take any regular prescriptions and not in the habit. I take an antihistamine when needed OTC. I've been taking a lot more naproxen recently, sometimes 4 pills a day, sometimes 2, sometimes forget them.
 
Diane, so great to read about your uneventful recovery! Hope the pain meds last.
 
Update: I did get another prescription for the percoset from my OS. He did give me 10 less than last time though. Still feeling like I need to ration these as needed. If I could take 1 Percocet every 4 to 5 hours, I could be pretty comfortable pain wise. I'm not doing that though because of the fear of running out. I just wish docs would be more understanding of the pain involved and the need for adequate pain management.
All in all though, I think I am doing pretty well. My incision is kind of burning but I think that's the staples pulling. Will be glad to get those out. I am 11 days post op today. I feel I have really been blessed because I have been able to sleep well in my own bed since coming home. That wasn't the case for my last TKR...I slept in the recliner a lot after that one. Sleep is so healing. Hope everyone has a good day.
 
Got my staples out today! It was a surprise because I thought they wouldn't come out till Thursday. But, when the home health nurse came today she said OS orders said to take them out today. So glad to have them out. One more step in the healing journey.
 
Oh boy, doesn't it feel better to have those thing out?! It hurt taking mine out, but what a relief afterwards. Did yours hurt?
 
@sistersinhim it wasn't too bad getting the staples put. A few "pinched" a bit but the rest I hardly felt at all. Today is 11 days since my surgery. Did you have your staples in longer than that?
 
Getting rid of your staples is definitely another milestone during your recovery. Mine didn't get removed for 2 weeks and by that time they stung a bit. My first surgery that OS used both glue and staples. Those were hard to get out since he put glue over some of them. ( did I mention he wasn't such a good OS?):gaah:
 
Mine were in a little over 2 weeks. Every single one of them hurt but one. I had 35 of them. About 10 over them bled. I was so glad when it was over with! I don't want to go through that again!
 
Back
Top Bottom