Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's LTKR.....Done!

Thanks @dianehelen . You will be joining this side before you know it. So much of the anxiety and stress is relieved after the surgery is over. I know I still have a long journey,but at least I am on the recovery road.

@birdwatchr sounds like our meds experience was the same. Not fun...but at least the floor had a good day!!
 
I bet those floors have seen their fair share of meds. You'll be home soon and in charge of your own meds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day three...feeling pretty good. Have more of an acheiness in my knee than real pain. Hopefully pain meds are worked out for home. Having a gentle pt session this morning and then off to home. Can't wait to take a shower and settle in my nest.
 
Hi @Diane LTKR and glad to see you on the recovery side of things! As you hopefully know from your RTKR, it's all up from here!

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's LTKR.....Done!

 
Hi @Suz. You're right. It is up from here. So glad to have the surgery over and be back home in my recliner with my pillow and blanket. I'm grateful that I'm not having a lot of pain. It hurts a good bit when I walk, but while sitting and elevating I feel pretty good. I know that might change but I'm enjoying it right now. Hope you all have a good day.
 
First night at home went pretty good. I even slept in my own bed. It's one of those that recline and go up though so that makes it easier. Kept ice on my knee all night and woke to take pain meds at the right times. Doing ok, as long as I am not walking. Walking is pretty excruciating right now. Don't remember it being this bad first time around. Maybe it was and I just don't remember. Trying to do nothing but ice, elevate and walk to the bathroom when needed. Home health care nurse comes today and home pt is supposed to contact me today too.
 
Welcome Home and Welcome to your Recovery @Diane LTKR! You are off on such a good start with your BoneSmart Recovery Protocol! YAY YOU!

I remember those first few days at home very well. And the excruciating trips to the restroom. I remember sitting in my recliner dreading the next trip, LOL! But it improved quickly because I kept my pain meds in my system & on schedule as you are doing. Hopefully you will feel less pain very soon!

We're here for you-!!

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's LTKR.....Done!
 
@birdwatchr the above was funny but not at the time it happened! I bet we look back on many of our experience and laugh years from now - but not now.
 
@Suz you are so right about the excruciating trips to the restroom. I put it off as long as I can....but can't wait too long or that creates another issue. I have decided to "nest" in my bed for a few days. It is much closer to the bathroom and it makes it so much easier. As my husband said, "you don't get extra points for working your way to the living room. Do what's comfortable." So, I'm here in my bed with my ice machine running after having taken a shower...pure bliss right now. Waiting for first in home pt session in about 30 minutes. She called yesterday to set it up. I asked her what her philosophy was for PT. she responded, " uh, what do you mean." Not a good sign in my book. We will wait to see how this goes.
 
@Floridagal
Can't wait to laugh about this surgery! But somehow I think it's going to be quite a while! Right now I'm not remembering a lot, and I guess that's a good thing!
 
Met with my home PT. not sure this is going to work out. She feels you have to continually "stretch" your knée and leg to get rid of the stiffness. I feel just the opposite because her idea of stretching is doing straight leg lifts etc. I just can't lift my leg yet. I know this is okay...it's only been 5 days since surgery....but PT can put some really crazy thoughts in your head. I think I have to go back and read some of the readings we get at the beginning because I feel myself getting depressed and feeling despair. In my head I know I am where I need to be at this point. She measured me at 0 extension and about 60 rom ( while lying in bed.) never had rom checked
that way before.
 
Please trust your gut feelings about physical therapists. Many will push their hyper aggressive styles on you when you are most vulnerable. But a lot will back off if you lay down ground rules such as don't touch my knee , if it hurts I will stop and as we have been taught by bone smart experts the bend is there and will appear after the swelling goes down. I also couldn't lift my leg then one morning it just happened. Same with bending my knee to pick something up and just this week bending my knee when I walk so that I'm almost not limping any longer. @Happydale please consider sharing what you told your p t the first visit--it was perfect. In my most despairing moments I have a mantra I pieced together from bone smart. It goes something like this: "the healing is happening 24/7 like tiny little golden stitches deep inside my knee. I don't have to do anything to facilitate this healing. Just stay out of its way--trust the healing"

Tomorrow will be a better day.
 
@Barnmom22 Oh I needed to hear that. Thank you so much. I really want to hold off on PT for at least the first 2 weeks so I can heal a bit. I'm thinking of calling to cancel the upcoming appointments until then. Funny, at work I can call anyone without a problem, but when it has to do with me and my personal needs, I find it harder to express my needs. You have helped me though....thank you so much.
 
Just paying it forward as you will do in a month. Now that you mention it I did cancel the second p t appt. I had forgotten. But she came back three more times after that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, today is my one week anniversary with my new knee! Actually, I can say that I am doing a little better. Walking is a bit better. Cancelled PT for today, might let them come tomorrow. I have been icing and elevating constantly and I really feel that this is what has made me feel better. Going to have to call OS five today for medication refill because I will run out over the weekend. Hopefully they won't give me any trouble with this. Hope everyone is having a good healing day!
 
Diane, that's wonderful that you are feeling well, you shouldn't have any problems getting more meds. Definitely icing and elevating are your best friends right now, I only had PT at home 2 times and started out patient PT at three weeks, once they showed me the heel slides, and extension excercises I did them myself.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had one in-home pt. I refused anymore. I have had none at all. I do my own pt. Daily living is super pt, but I do heel slides and ride my bike 5 minutes each day. When I walk, many times I try to step up with my knee, almost like marching but not quite. My ROM is 110/3. I think I'm doing just fine! The best thing is I haven't had the torture of a therapist! I firmly believe that less pain is more gain!
 
Your ROM is very good for so soon after surgery. I had home PT several times a week but she did mostly some gentle massaging and stretching. It felt so good that I wished she could have come even longer than those first two weeks. The first time the PT was awful.
 
Back
Top Bottom