TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your poor husband, as a fellow night owl I get it. But he is coming through nicely, leaving you set up with your morning goodies. Are you able to eat some yogurt? And get to the bathroom? Now that you're home your med schedule can be flexible....as a nurse in the hospital setting, meds can be given 1/2 an hour earlier or later and still be considered on time. And besides, the "schedule" is just a construct. I was on oxy 15 mg every 4 hours during the day, besides MS Contin twice a day and extra oxy at night if needed, which I did. And I haven't turned into a raving drug addict. So you can rest assured you're not "overdosing". A few weeks later when I still had pain when walking I started the gabapentin.that relieved the pain in the nerve. Still on the gabapentin. So you didn't cheat. You are being flexible. Why suffer?
Sorry about the night wakefulness. Hopefully that will pass.
 
Your incision looks great! And those mesh wraps are nice. You'll feel the ice more, now. I don't know why they use staples. I had dissolvable stitches thank goodness..one less thing to deal with. But looking good. As @uva says, don't be surprised if you start to see bruising. Par for the course. But you've had joints replaced before so you know. What blood thinner are you on?
 
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain these first few days. All the reports from down the road are that it's worth it, but that's not much comfort now. We are all with you!
 
Just checking in @dianehelen Wanted to see how you are doing. Today has been my best day so far. Swelling is down a bit more, less pain at 5 days out. Be prepared to be pretty unhappy for the next couple of days. Glad you are home and you seem to be doing well. Your incision does look good.
 
Diane, your incision looks great! I'm sure you were happy to see it looking healthy and dry.
 
Hi Diane,
I've been away for a couple of weeks, so I'm sorry but I missed your big day. Glad to hear that you are doing well - and that you weren't kidnapped by aliens. :heehee:

Everything sounds auspicious and I'm truly hoping that this recovery will be a good one, to offset your memories of recovering after your THR.

Best wishes - I'll be following your progress from now on. :friends:
 
I just made my pillow stack and thought of you the whole time. About to hermetically seal my clothes !

Sending good thoughts/prayers to you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Hey Diane, I hope today you are feeling better, less pain, getting into a recovery routine that will work for you.
Are you still able to sleep at night?

Let us know how you are doing.
 
Diane, we miss you but hoping you are fast asleep right now~

Substitute the 'Me' with 'Us'. You always make US smile! It doesn't feel like it right now- but your
recovery is all UP from here!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 7.36.36 PM.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you're o.k., Diane. You usually are a hearty post-er on BoneSmart. I wanted to chime in with @Diane LTKR that it's now your time to figure out which of the things that helped the rest of us are helpful to you. You have mentioned that your body has different reactions than most folks, and if that's the case at least you know yourself. Some of the things that worked for me were a surprise. For example, I got to really hating nights when I was in early recovery. I usually go to bed around 10 or 11, but my sister started staying up late with me to cut down the night time. That helped me!

One other little thing: Throughout my recovery I'd get some sort of nasty new pain or nuisance, such as itching, or burning pain, or pain in the back of my knee. Each time I'd think - oh no! I can't stand this. And then it would subside. Many of those issues that cropped up only made very temporary appearances. So take heart - most likely today's complaints will be gone tomorrow. That makes them easier to endure.

Let us know how you're doing. Sending hugs,
Sara
 
Bad Night, lesson learned.
Hubby brought midnight pain meds, geuss I felt so ok , did not seem or just forgot to set 4am med clock. Woke up up ham 7am felt reasted but owieee getting out of bed and pad pain. P Bad 8, uhhh how long till I feel caught up ang I am back like I was, any guess?

Ha wrote this at 8am forget to hit post. My speech as well as my typing seem slurred, from the drugs I guess.
 
Even now, when I'm in my recliner, most of the time I'm icing. I find it keeps the swelling and discomfort down. As young as your knee is, if I were you, I'd keep it on all the time you can.
 
I had the ice anytime I was not moving, it really helped me with the pain ani I didn't mind...when I was in the hospital it was always on.

Are you still in bad pain??? I was worried about you, I almost called but didn't want to bother you, I decided to wait until 6 hoping that you post by then.
 
I found I wanted the ice on all the time. There's no rule stating how long you can have it off. It depends upon you and your comfort. You want to use it at lest 5 or 6 times a day for about an hour.
 
Hi Diane. Hope you feel better soon. It's a tough row to hoe. My husband is asking me if maybe I shouldn't have the second one done, but the second one is really giving me pain right now too. Here's hoping the first knee will be healed enough so I can have the second one on schedule.
 
Wow Diane! take it easy, you did it! it gets better every day.
 
@dianehelen I'm sorry you're having such a rough time- continue the meds on schedule - and yes I'm icing whenever I'm sitting and elevating which is most of the time - it really helps!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom