TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the ice anytime I was not moving, it really helped me with the pain ani I didn't mind...when I was in the hospital it was always on.

Are you still in bad pain??? I was worried about you, I almost called but didn't want to bother you, I decided to wait until 6 hoping that you post by then.


Pain is tolerable when just sitthing with ice on. when walking still high , about 7, 8. Any guess when a slight turning point may occur?
 
I felt less pain around day 4, but continued with pain meds as prescribed. Honestly day 3-4 is when I actually remember the days. Staying ahead of the pain is the only way to get through the first week. Don't let up, take them on schedule with ice, and sleep whenever possible.
 
For me the first week was the worst as far as pain goes, specially at night, I couldn't sleep in my bed, couldn't find a comfortable position, I did better on my recliner which reclined almost completely flat like a bed.

I took many naps during the day. I was taking Tramadol every 8 hours in addition to my 2 Oxy 5/325 every 4 hours, and Celebrex once a day. What are you taking for pain now? I know you mentioned Oxy 7.5 mg.
 
Truly, staying in the transition unit for a week, having a hospital bed to sleep in was wonderful. I was able to sleep quite a lot in those beds compared to home.
 
I think for me the first seven days were a bit tough until I could figure out a good schedule for medications. After my revision my OS prescribed a muscle relaxer which helped me a lot since most of my pain was in my quads.
 
For me the first week was the worst as far as pain goes, specially at night, I couldn't sleep in my bed, couldn't find a comfortable position, I did better on my recliner which reclined almost completely flat like a bed.

I took many naps during the day. I was taking Tramadol every 8 hours in addition to my 2 Oxy 5/325 every 4 hours, and Celebrex once a day. What are you taking for pain now? I know you mentioned Oxy 7.5 mg.

Oxy/acet (percoset) )7.5/325 every 4 hours. Tramadol 50mg every 4 hours, inbetween the percs . So every 2 hrs something. Also Tylenol pm & xanax if I cant get to sleep if I cant fall off. BY around 3am

@KarriB I was mixed on that. The hospital beds were great to sleep but a struggle to get up from. Bed at home much easier
 
As far as icing, I had it going all the time around the clock for almost 3 weeks. Really helped with the pain. Now, I will be 5 weeks this Thursday, I ice with the gel packs whenever I am sitting and watching tv at night, I start with my gel packs and don't seem to need to get up to replace them anymore. I haven't used my ice machine for about a week now...the gels packs have been sufficient. I am down to three 5/325 Oxy a day along with a muscle relaxer and meloxicam. Feeling like life is getting back to normal. Just came back from dinner at Chilis with hubby and feeling good. Thinking about starting back to work part time at 6 weeks. We'll see how things go.

This first week is rough for you. There's no getting around that. But it will get better. We can't all be wrong! I started to feel slight improvement by the end of my first week. Second week was definitely a little better. Soon this will be a distant memory for you and you will be helping others through these first days.
 
For me Diane, it was just over a week - ,but remember I was just on tramadol and paracetamol. Hang in there!
 
Yes, I know I'm still.in angry tissue mode. All.in all.I.think.I I'm dealing pretty well.

I'm.in my bed now, feels so.good. just cant stay.in one nest too.many.hours..hubby.just re did ice, set med alarm.for midnight, I set one foR 2am tramadol and 4am..percoset gonna.watch ray donovan, then.music then hope.for slleep

Thanks much.my bonesmart friends
 
DianeHelen, not to have ice is crazy! I also dealt with 1) late Meds, by 30 min!; 2) call button not plugged in wall, so no work: 1 hour!; 3) aggressive group pt leader and OS decree no ROM since incision not well-sealed...pt decided I should do ROM anyway! Hang in there, remember we're behind you and in many ways, you know more than some there... I hadn't yet found you all when I was in hospital, either so was way wimpier! Will check in to see how you're doing!
 
Hi Diane! I've had a crazy busy few days, but was thinking about you.

For me, the first 10–12 days were really rough, hurt a LOT! I had the icing machine constantly going. Everyone is different, so I hope you feel better sooner than I did! I do know you'll get there!
 
I've been thinking of you and am so glad that we are back online so you can tell us how you are doing.
 
Well for some crazy reason I've had trouble logging into bonesmart. Now I learn the site has been down.

I wanted to check on you first and foremost Diane. Sounds like you're hanging in here. Glad you're taking something to help you sleep. I think it's key in these early days.

Hey- we're half way through your first week. You recovery is h-a-p-p-e-n-i-n-g-!! Hang in there hon-!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
    Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.06.48 AM.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Diane! I was so upset that the site was down the last couple of days. Been keeping you in my prayers. Hope the meds & icing start kicking the pain for you! Take care!!
 
You made it through the down times. I knew you could do it! I hope you're feeling better now.
 
I have alot to report, but will a bit later with more details. For the most part, hanging in there. It's a long slow slog. Today is one week. The good, im sleeping decently in my bed, setting alarms for meds. The wound is healing well, and so far shows no redness, swelling or signs of infection. Pt has been coming, and for the most part pretty accommodating. But starts the script about rom won't come back unless I work at it. I told him we can agree to disageee. The other issue, seems after all my blustering about stickpiling oxy, irony has it. I used to tolerate it well. Well no longer the case. It was killing my stomach, had to switch to the tylenol/tramadol routine. Today is the first day I was able to eat anything other than protein drinks and yogurt. Pain is annoying, and moving is a challenge. Im icing/elevating pretty much 24/7. Glad I invested in the ice machine.

And lastly, for now, as others have said, the energy drain in overwhelming.

More later. Boy I missed everybody, ok rest time
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom