TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh, @uva55 that does sound yummie. My recovery buddy made me a great chicken curry a couple nights ago, but last night I just wanted a little comfort food, so asked for a small plate of red beans and rice. He threw in some braised onions, and it hit the spot! It came with a spinach salad for good health. Diane Helen, your night out sounds great! A friend who had a knee replacement last year is coming over Wednesday and bringing sandwiches. It'll be fun to visit and talk knees.
 
Yum. My appetite is back with a vengeance. Your journal makes my mouth water!

Zig day? :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Diane, you are so right about the staples vs the glue. I'm going to ask for glue next time. I hated the staple removal. And your stitch removal was even worse than that!
 
I really had no problems with the staples.. its was the damm stitches, that nearly killed me...

and I was told, my OS does not use glue, he feels it can cause too many problems. So if and when I do the other knee, I may not have a choice, other than to get them removed before 3 weeks, which I think was the issue
 
I wonder why he feels glue causes problems? I had glue and it was wonderful. There was no pulling from stitches or staples. It stayed in place for 3 weeks and then started peeling off, leaving an incision that I think will be next to invisible. It sealed tight and I was able to shower and get it wet right from the beginning (just not submerge it). Deep and subcuticular layers were closed with sutures, just not the skin.
 
Some doctors can be resistant to change, so they tend to stick with what they know has worked for them.
 
Very true. I met with resistance with the one ortho I saw about my blood thinner...he knew nothing about the newer blood thinners and wanted me to take Celebrex Pre op, a no no, and didn't understand why I wasn't on Coumadin. Old school. I then went to my current ortho who had no problem with my regimen, approved by my cardiologist. Like hey, guys, times have changed, educate yourselves. But they won't.
 
I would agree with the change resistance for older docs. With mine, I believe he has his preferences, for whatever reasons, as he is fairly young.
 
Doing something normalish today. Going out to lunch with a friend, actually my swim buddy. We can have dueling canes. She had polio as a child and has permanent walking difficulties. I should be ok, other than this unrelenting pain on the side of my rear thigh area. Im hoping to be able to get back to the pool in a few weeks. I miss it.
 
It could be that he had a bad experience or knew of a bad experience with glue in the past. Perhaps not applied correctly or older, less effective glue that did not hold, and he swore it off for use by him in the future. And, if he is fairly young, and not that long out of his training, perhaps his professor advised strongly against using glue.
 
Oh cool on going out to lunch! If you go someplace with booths you can elevate while eating (I have no shame ).


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Enjoy your normal day. It feels great to be "sprung" from your recovery prison for a few hours
 
Well lunch was good, but sitting still very uncomfortable, and not from the knee being down, it's this pain on the back of my side thigh, that travels down to what feels like right at the outside of the knee joint. Trying to stay calm and not worry, but seems I should not be so in discomfort in this area. But ever forward. Also took a ride out to the resort that in a few weeks is my breast cancer survivors group annual weekend. It's a different resort this year, and both of us with mobility issues, we needed a little reconnaissance mission. Now I'm home, up & iced

Dear pain in my leg,
Please go away and let me live in peace.

Love
Diane
 
We have seen, tho, on Bonesmart, that pain crops up in all sorts of places, without explanation, so there don't seem to be any shoulds, or shouldnts. Give it a few more days and see where it leads.
 
Give it a few more days and see where it leads.
*sigh* ya

So why does it not hurt sitting in my recliner, but was really uncomfortable sitting , driving my car.... Ughh I know, no answer. Just frustrating
 
Have you tried both ice and heat? Remember though, no heat on the knee. I had a whole lot of pain on the inside back on my thigh and running down to the back of the knee. I hope yours is just normal stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom