TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still use ice because it feels good. I only have a small amount of swelling, and very little discomfort, but ice feels so nice. I skipped a couple of nights icing and didn't notice any difference from when I did ice. Getting that machine ready at night is getting to be a chore though. My knee is not hot, just feels slightly warmer than the other.
 
When I forgot to use it, or it was too much trouble to fill the machine.

I would never have that happen. As soon as I get up to go to bed, my husband springs up and gets my ice machine set up & ready. It would have to be up to me to say I dont need it. I guess I'll see how the next week or so goes.
 
Yeah. I'm not going to put the ice machine away. I'm wondering if I'll have to switch sides in the bed. The right knee will be further from the machine. There isn't any room at the foot of my bed so the machine has to go on the side.
 
Diane, sounds like things are going well, liked your account of your pt. Im still too early to be stopping ice, but already am cutting back. I crank up the ice machine at night, but during the day now just get out a cold gel pack a couple times a day. My first week in the motel I had the machine going day and night all the time.
 
Another 1st milestone since surgery. I went out into the world all by myself, like big girl. I drove for the first time. Doc said 6 weeks, but eh, I drive with my right leg, im not taking any narcotics, and just felt ready. Drove thru walgreens, picked up rx's, then my main event. I went to Fresh Market.I just LOVE that store & have missed it. Got a parking spot right in front, walked in with my cane, but then just used the wagon as a walker. Got some wonderful foods, and hehe some goodies too. What I did notice, from the last time I was there pre NewKnee, I had some stiffness pain, but noticeably NOT the severe arthritis pain I used to have. In fact, I used the wagon to help walk , but did not have to lean over it to take weight off my bone on bone crumbling knee.

Came home, have some pain down the back of my leg on the outside, but probably hamstring. Put my treasures away, now up & iced for the day. Dinner, taken care of yummy fresh market portabello/mozzerella stuffed chicken breasts, just toss in oven to cook and done! With some gorgeous fresh asparagus, and maybe some quick couscous.

I "may" even have my first glass of wine today.

Today is definitely a ZIG day.

Hope everyone else is having a good day
 
Like you I drove at three weeks and for the same reasons. I never regretted it. It sounds like that shopping trip was a wonderful morale boost. I think the doctors make those recommendations based on generalities and not scientific studies. We know better how we are doing than anyone else, even the doctors. Enjoy that meal! It makes me want to go to Fresh Market!
 
Wow Amy Jo you are such a tough cookie :-). You drove @ three weeks and your tkr was your right leg. But ya, we know when we are ready. It did feel good to be in the world by myself. Love hubby, but nice to be alone sometimes too, so I can buy what I want minus the "watchful" eye haha.
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
I'm one of those slower healers and couldn't drive for 7 weeks. My knee wouldn't bend enough for me to feel safe enough for a quick stop, if need be. Most nights, if I've had a busy day, I still set up the ice machine just in case I need it. Some nights it's 3 or 4 times and some nights it's none. The last 2 nights it was none! But, it was a busy day today so I'll set it back up before bed again, just in case!
 
I think for me, it was doable to drive because my surgery was on my left knee. I would not be able to if it was my right
 
@dianehelen I loved your post above about buying what you want minus the "watchful eye". I had my last solo shopping adventure and met my daughter for dinner on Tuesday. My husband is wonderful and I have no doubt that he will be an enormous help after my surgery (scheduled for 9/27) but a "shopping buddy" he is not. I have enjoyed following your recovery thread and hopefully I will be joining you here soon. Thanks for the advice via your posts. Ruth
 
@dianehelen

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well! It makes it seem like it's all worth it now, doesn't it!? I'm on the day after surgery and I'm already glad I had it done! But, I'm not going to be going to the grocery store anytime soon!

Jen
 
Thank you @mamazipp , I have to admit, im somewhat impressed with myself the last couple days.I just hope it continues.
 
It will continue if you don't overdo! You know the BS way and are living it and proving it works!
 
Nahh I never overdo. If anything has helped me is that I am a great under doer. :-)
I dont cook, I dont clean, I dont do any yard type work. I dont even groom my dogs, a mobil groomer comes to my door.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom