TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya those instructions do not work. IF you totally turn off all notifications you also dont get the alerts on the top of the forum. I went thru that a few months ago.
 
Wowsers, Diane. Your career story is amazing! Made my day to read it. My son graduated from Chapel Hill with a degree in journalism (want fries with that?). He finally got a job with a tech company as a "technician" at little more than minimum wage.Three years later and he is a program development manager making almost 6 figures and very happy. All self taught. So glad to read your brilliant story and see potential for his future. :)

Hope you are zigging today, with no zags!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
@dianehelen
question for ya: How in the world did you get encouragement from others to pursue the career you had in an age where women were told all they could be was a teacher, nurse, or secretary? I'm just interested in how those who went past the "norms" got there. (And no, I was never encouraged to go past those "norms".)
 
*sigh* feeling a bit down today. Seems like this past few days, not really feeling any forward progress. Pain in hamstring, pain on outside ,just to the left of my knee that feels like the arthritis I had before tkr, still annoying clunk/click sound/feel when walking, still feeling the soreness from the miserable stitch removal last thursday. Still very tight & stiff.

And if thats not enough to complain about, an unrelated pain that just daunts me. From my hip nightmare 2 years ago, the scar/dent whatever the heck ya call it is just so painful & annoying and sitting all day in this recliner that presses on it just makes it so painful, irritating and annoying. Anyone have any suggestions how I can ease this at all. Would any of the essential oils be of any benefut here? I did order some Deep Blue rub, would that help.

Just having a "zag" kinda day. Oh ya and I called the PT place, have an appt for eval tomorrow. Did have a discussion about my philosophy re aggressive therapy, and at least on the phone they sounded accommodating and supportive. We shall see
 
One of my former professions was with the 'Bell System' working for Bell Labs doing software design, development and training throughout the country so we definitely had something else in common. I was a bit before you as I did this throughout the 80s. And now we both have new knees! Do you think it was the computers that got us?
 
world did you get encouragement from others to pursue the career you had
Hmm I guess I never though about it. After not getting the traditional teaching job, I had to earn a living, and I guess fate, luck, opportunity, personal conference in my abilities, whatever, just took me down my path.
 
While you are sitting in the recliner try shifting your weight a little by putting a small pillow under one hip or the other. Sometimes that will be just enough to help you feel better. I have that click/clunk too and it comes and goes. I am just reminded when I hear it about the wonderful surgery that has helped me out so much.
 
Hmmmm...... Guess I never really had any confidence in my abilities! I knew I could not be a nurse after volunteering in the local hospital for 3 years during high school; I knew I would not be a secretary, 'cause that's what my mother pushed really hard for me to do; so that left teaching, and I didn't make it there either! Ha!Ha! Guess I was DEFEATED!!! I went out for a receptionist position and learned data entry and loved it; went into computer operations from there until I got into tech support, but then it all got outsourced to other countries. I tell everyone that all the former companies I used to work for went out of business..... will the school system go out too???? I still remember Tandem commands and EDI stuff, but I am now in a middle school library. And because I am not a certified teacher, they will not let me work the ASP program this year after working it for the past 8 years. I'm still not good enough to help kids!!!
 
Yeah - there are 6 of us they told we could not work this year. As a result, they just may lose the grant 'cause they only have 37 students and they are supposed to have 65-85 students in the program. We don't have enough certified people who want to do it. Us non-certified people actually wanted to do it. I really depended on that money, and now I will come up $200 short every month. I'm looking for another second job, but not having any success. I taught my group sewing as an enrichment class. On other days I ran the front desk. I don't know what to do with myself after school now, so I am trying to think of it as ok - I need to get the knee better, so just deal with the resting and the money will solve itself. ASP paid my deductible/out of pocket for the 3 surgeries I've had since last October. That's one reason why my foot will not have surgery now. Ideally, maybe it would be best to get it done now before December 31st, while the out of pocket is paid up, but I don't think I could take another major surgery like that again. And it would mess up Christmas plans big time, not to mention time off from work and the hassle of a scooter. I really don't think my knee could handle being the main balance of my body if I were to get my foot done. (right knee, left foot) I'm not so sure I want my foot fused anyway.
 
That really sucks @birdwatchr . What is the ASP that you talk of? To me ASP is a webserver technology, Active Server Pages, but im thinking it's not what you are referring to. How close are you to retirement, would that be an option anytime soon?
 
After School Program. And it's only for the kids who goof off during class and flunk out and have behavior problems. Have at least 3 more years to retire. This year will be my 10th in the system so I can get matching retirement funds. Believe it or not, I could retire right now and still bring home from SS about what I bring home from the school system. Over half my paycheck is deductions! And here's the clincher - non of us non certified people earn anywhere near what the certified teachers get doing the ASP program! I could be a high school dropout and be welcomed into the program at $10/hour too! But as non certified, I am no longer welcome to work it. I think they just don't want to pay us our overtime. I've threatened to quit and go to a corporate company, then come back as an outsider, but it's not worth it. Something is not right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry you're having a zag period. Snit on zag days!!

That just makes me angry reading Birdwatcher's story. Our kids need people like her! Another snit on that!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Hoping your PT appointment tomorrow will be good and that you get a tech that follows thru on the BS way and helps your recovery be a really good one!
 
Sorry you are feeling a bit down today @dianehelen . It sure seems part of the recovery is an emotional roller coaster. As I posted on my recovery thread I had a really down day and not only did I cry but I sobbed. Everyday there seems to be a new twinge, pain etc... I know I was not told this prior to surgery or as Clara once said it was not in the fine print. So glad we all have each other to answer questions and get advice from, imagine calling the OS office for all of these things, they would block my number. My lower back is killing me when I wake in the morning from sleeping on my back and I started using Deep Blue and boy did it help so hoping it works for your hip area!
 
Thanks @thecoll , I got the deep blue today. Tried a bit in the outer edges of my leg muscles. Have not tried it on my hip area yet, probably will when I get up to go to bed. Ya it's quite the journey. Kinda anxiously awaiting pt tomorrow, see how much I have to fight with them to stand my ground. Another chapter.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now. I hear ya with every new pain, twinge, ache, etc, seems endless.

By the time I go to bed at night, I feel like ive run a marathon, and climbed mt everest. I lay down in bed and say ahhh I made it thru another day.

I hope we both start seeing some better days SOON!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom