TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane being able to sit anywhere with my leg hanging down for more than 15-20 minutes, was close to 5 weeks for me, first I couldn't then all of a sudden I could.

Those pains are normal, I used to and still massage my leg with a muscle relief essential oil that I add to a body moisturizer and it seems to help, I also use it on my shoulder.

I tell you every day is a surprise, you wake up and don't know what new annoyance awaits you.

I'm OK, very fatigued, my shoulder is better, not totally pain free but better, the ice packs to the rescue again. I feel more calm now that I gave a date for the biopsies, I have to make sure to take my xanax that morning.
 
I can sit with my legs hanging for a while. It starts getting a little uncomfortable after 15 or 20 minutes, but not so bad that I cannot sit at all. That band of pain around my thigh from the tourniquet has finally gone away (about a week ago) and that makes sitting a lot easier. I don't think you had that though - be glad! That has been the worst part for me.
 
I had a hard time at first sitting at the computer. I still have a little foot stool that I put my foot on if I am going to sit for awhile at the computer. When I eat out I often have to stretch the leg out straight in front of me on the floor. This is all at 3 1/2 months. You will find it gets easier and easier to sit with the leg down. Like everything else it is a slow process.
 
I asked about the tourniquet when I was at the doc, and they said, yes they did use one. Oddly tho, I have no bruise from it, nor do I have any pain in that area.

yes @Floridagal it sure is a slow, process.
 
uncomfortable after 15 or 20
ya we are at about the same time frame, and that 15-20 window is about what Im getting too, for letting leg hang down. Guess we have a few more weeks to get more time out of it
 
I didn't have the tourniquet pain either. I saw bruises, but no real pain. But, my calf made up for it! I'm glad you're having a pretty good day!
 
I am right there with you at about 15-20 minutes with leg down while sitting in a chair. Just becomes uncomfortable. For me it could be due to lack of bending ability or the slope on the seat of the chair.

Clara, what muscle relief essential oil do you use? I have something called Deep Blue by doTerra which helped alot prior to surgery. My son even uses after his Rugby games at UF. I was thinking about using it before I go to PT to help with the thigh and calf.
 
I had absolutely no visible bruise from the tourniquet, just the pain. I guess it is better to have the pain for a while than to risk needing a transfusion. Do not mean a transfusion is not pretty safe, but I'd rather avoid one.
 
@dianehelen Yes the Deep Blue that I use is a cream lotion to rub in and I used it on my knees prior to surgery. I rubbed it all over the joint including back of knee and my quad. It can be used sore joints or muscles. It has pure essential oils in it. For me it worked way better than Australian Gold, Bengay or Tiger balm. I bought a 4 oz tube off Amazon for $32 and it has last me a year and it is still half full. Like I mention my son uses it on his sore muscles after his rugby games. I started exploring essential oils a year ago. There are so many benefits to using pure essential oils. I am no expert on it but just know from my own experience. I was a huge candle lover and I stopped burning scented candles and now use oils with a diffuser.
 
Interesting. I have heard others mention oils, maybe something to educate myself about. Thanks
 
@thecoll I love to burn candles also and many of them irritate my husband's throat, so I started researching essential oils at first just for diffusing, but now I use them for headaches, relaxation, sleep, I have replaced my face moisturizer with a essential oil night and daytime recipe, I find it very interesting and much better for us.
 
I'm going to have to read up on these essential oils. They sound wonderful! I remember you said Amazon has them. I am on there at least once a day comparing prices and reading reviews!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay used to be my favorite place, but it has few reviews. Now on Amazon, there's almost always reviews about anything you want to know about! Learning from others experience is important to me.
 
So I have a new pain to add to my collection. Started noticing it a few days ago. It's kinda feels like a strain, like a muscle, behind my leg, above the knee on my ltkr side. Here is a graphic marked about where im feeling this pain. Any ideas anyone, any nurse friends? Thanks.

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
 
Diane, that is where I am feeling pain, but not in such a large area. It is part of the hamstring muscle. My pain is more localized to the lower third of your graphic. Just a new pain to worry about. I've had it for about a week.
 
Hmm interesting @FlaGranny And you are just 2 days ahead of me. Well I guess some comfort in knowing we are not alone in this new pain. I wonder if the increase of activity has brought this on. Also, have you started outpatient pt? Or are you bowing out or waiting till after #2? I'm still somewhat conflicted on whether to make that call tomorrow or not. Oh ya and lastly to both you and @sheliac , when walking, do you feel/hear the new knee like clicking?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom