TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya doing nothing. Hubby is up attending to my ice, made me an egg. I feel out of sorts today. I wish I could nap, never been good at cat naps in the chair. I do ok with my 3pm nap in bed. Who knows what today will bring. Just feeling kinda blech today.
 
Lack of sleep will do that to you. In my first month or so I was taking three naps a day. Of course, I was sleeping only an hour or so at a time at night. It was miserable. But, boy did those naps help! I hope you can relax enough to nap in your chair. It will help.
 
Diane, why don't you get at least one large ice pack as a backup??? I know its exhausting but isn't great to be able to do a little more on your own???

Sorry you had a rough night!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there we all had those days where we feel bleh it too shall pass ditto on the staple removal cant believe 3 weeks and yes make sure you take your pain meds before you go. I definately was not a happy camper when mine were removed, and am not looking forward to having them out when I have my right tkr in December. I Hope the rest of your day goes a little better I think you have done more than enough exercise for one day.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I recall reading from someone here about the ice machine pad not feeling as cold as it initially did. Anyone remember this, and what the resolve was? Was it you @newlybionic
 
Check the filter in the ice machine might have collected some dirt so is not performing at its best.
 
I agree. We have a lot of calcium in our water and I have to rinse out the filter frequently. You should see a difference when you do the same.
 
Great tip about the filter. My machine does not feel as cold so I will check that. I hope the rest of your afternoon was better. I love naps, even prior to surgery I can fall asleep anywhere anytime. Today I had my first outpatient rehab appt and came home and napped for almost 3 hours. Unfortunately I lost some ROM in the last few days but we will work at it. I have an issue with lifting my hip when doing PT. The therapist kept trying to get me to relax it but it is hard. Anyone else experience this?
 
DianeHelen, what a day. You accomplished a lot. And remember to focus on what you are doing, not what you aren't doing. Every day you are doing so much- including healing!
 
<yawn> just up from my afternoon nap, maybe feel a bit better. I think the filter trick did help the ice feel colder again.

@thecoll you did ok with outpatient pt? They werent too pushy? This rom thing is quite the challenge isnt it. Amazing how stiff this leg and it's bend becomes. What do you mean lifting your hip? Im starting to have some of that rom angst, but keep repeating the mantras about rom being there, just takes time to come back past inner swelling.
 
Diane, yes I did ok with outpt PT. It was 1 hour long and I did a machine that was like a recumbent eliptical that helped bend. Then we did exercises going up and down steps. Then she gently massaged around the incision and it felt great. Then I laid on the table and had to do some bending exercises that was painful and I kept lifting the hip and I could not relax at all. To be honest it feels good knowing the therapist is there to help me reach my goals and she is not pushy. I wish I could relax the leg/hip i will have to figure out how to do this. Also I took 2 pain meds prior.
 
Hi Diane, my ROM was *terrible* at 13 days when I went to my one-and-only PT appointment (for staple removal). My extension wasn't great and my flexion was 45°. PT-dude-from-hell threatened me with a MUA :censored:. I also took two percocets before that appointment. Thank God! I probably would have hit him if I hadn't.

When I went to my OS follow-up at around six weeks, he said my extension was great and to stretch some more to improve my flexion, but overall was very happy with my progress. SO!!!! Just get the swelling down and stretch as you can (heel slides), and you'll be fine. Don't stress over ROM at two weeks.

I find it interesting that OSs have such different ideas on recovery. My OS does NOT like PT at all. Pre surgery he said, "if you go, do NOT let them touch you!!!" and in my follow-up appointment he asked if was going and when I said no, he replied, "GOOD!"

Another tip for the ice machine: I will lay the pad flat and let it run while I use the restroom, just to let the water circulate. You can also disconnect the coupler and use a skewer to press on the valve to empty the sleeve, assuring cold water will completely fill it.
 
Good info thanks @LoveGiants
My rom at 13 days, well 12 days yesterday was 77/0 so I guess I shouldnt complain too much,yet huh? I try to stretch it a bit sitting on the edge of a chair, but it hurts and I don't get far.
 
It's so funny what people prefer! I ALWAYS ask for staples. I've had them in my knee, ankle, shoulder, and forearm. I find that they are MUCH easier to remove than stitches. I had 33 for my TTT surgery and they were a piece of cake to remove. I also just had 13 on the back of my ankle and none of them hurt to remove, even in that tender, awkward area!

Good luck and I know you can do it. Any pain from that will pale in comparison to the pain you've already dealt with from the actual surgery!!!

Jen
 
Diane, you already have 0 extension?! That's is amazing. Look how long it takes a lot of us to get that! Keep up that good work! The bend is easier than the extension, so you'll do fine. Once that swelling comes down, that bend will come up all on it's on!
 
Your ROM and extension is really good for 13 days...you are doing great:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Paula & Clara for the reassurance. It's just a wierd feeling, having a leg so tight it doesnt bend. I keep focusing on the full hose analogy.

Had a decent dinner tonight, prob first since home. Teriyaki Marinated chicken breast, mashed potatoes and a few bites of broccoli. Thank you Fresh Market and wonderful husband :)
 
Yum, your dinner sounds great. Glad you're able to eat some real food. Your ROM is fantastic. I just got to 0 and not even sure I really am there...and 78 is also fabulous for 10 days out. I was certainly less than that. I wasn't even 90 at 4 weeks. Not that I'm suggesting that I'm any kind of poster child for recovery, haha. But you are progressing well. I think I've noticed that despite what our different ROMs are, we all have that stiff knee feeling. It feels like it needs a can of oil to lubricate it.

You are progressing even if it feels so slowly and so uncomfortably.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom