TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and me both Diane!

Like you, I am in the able to sleep club and very thankful I am too! Also, like you, I've never set a night alarm as I just woke when it was time. This last few days though I have noticed I'm going longer - up to about 5 hours now, so there's something to look forward to.

I've also had issues with diarrhoea - although much more occasionally than you. In the end, through trial an error, I have put it down to overuse of stool softeners. I needed more than recommended to get things moving, but now, since they have, it seems I need less. My diet is whatever I feel like eating - I've lost about 9lbs that I didn't need to, so am taking advantage by indulging if I feel like it.

I think the tightness feels worse after a while because the immediate post op surgical pain is subsiding and now you can distinguish it - that's my theory anyway. My knee was 16 inches the day after surgery and now it's 15" ( needs to be 14") so yo my mind, it can't really be "worse".

Why don't you let the physio visit if you're up to it, so you can assess him/her? You may get a good one, or may find you need to keep them at arms length -?

Keep your chin up - not easy, I know ( mine was on the floor yesterday but I'm a bit better today).

x
 
Ughh just had an annoying convo with the nurse at my OS office. Basic questions re my stomach and healing issues. It eventually turned towards the pt issue. She insisted the best outcome I will get is by doing pt exactly as directed. I tried to offer alternative ideology, about the less is more and im doing what I can, just below the point of pain. She was not buying it, and said the dr orders the pt because he believes in it creating the best outcome. Guess this will be somewhat of an ongoing process to find my own comfort level.
 
Hey! I just wanted to let you know that your thread was the last thing I read here right before the site when down, the day before my surgery. You gave me such inspiration. I actually cried when I couldn't log on-- but as I was going thru that horrendous preop panic, I thought of all I'd learned from your preop posts and your bravery postop. I thought about you in the preop holding area when I was considering bolting!

I'm now here with you on the other side. I'm sorry you are having tummy troubles and pain, but am so very thankful you are posting honestly and giving us ideas of what to expect, how it feels, etc.

I know what you mean about the relief of getting to the bed- and I'm only at the start of day 6 of recovery work. I never thought lying on the couch would feel like work! I hope today is better -- and that every single day we applaud our own bravery and resilience.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Well Shelia, we are all here for each other to share & learn from each others experiences. Im glad to share mine, be in awe of those doing better, and have great empathy for those doing worse. We really run the full gamut here.

Keep us posted on your journey

Keep doing well
 
The tightness in the knee must be swelling, I had lots of that for a while, I think is normal.

I am glad your tummy is better. My days were long, but I hated my nights, sleeping on my recliner, always freezing from ice pack.
 
My days were long, but I hated my nights
All so different *sigh* I wait all day for when I can get into bed and dissapear from it all for a few hours

So glad you are doing so well. How are the other stressers going?
 
Oh my...do you really want to know??? the shot I had for my bursitis on my left shoulder only worked for around 10 days so I have been miserable with that pain, not been sleeping well, last night I woke up at 1:30 a.m. and had to use my ice pack on the shoulder, it did not help, I used my heating pad, did not help, used Bio Freeze, nothing, so I only slept from 11:30 P.M. to 1:30, you know the saying when it rains it pours :(
 
Diane, don't tell you OS or his PA anything about your pt. I haven't and they say I'm doing great. What they don't know won't hurt them and it certainly won't hurt you! What's the rush anyway? You have plenty of time to rehab. And it's been proven that less pain is more gain! I had 2 different therapists tell me that they were going to tell on me, but my surgeon never said a thing about it. It's YOUR knee! NOT theirs!
 
Oh my Clara that just so sucks. Im so sorry you have to deal with more pain. Cant even imagine, barely better from your knee and have to suffer with this. Are you at work today? Please feel better, get some relief, somehow. Ughh. Hugs of healing to you my friend
 
@uva55, oh no Clara. I had no idea your shot had already won't off. I am so sorry. Is there anything else you can do for it? You are certainly going through your trials. You're being prayed for!
 
Diane, that's why we're here. To help each other!
 
@sistersinhim I tried to call my PCP, he does not have any openings until October, they put me on a cancellation list, I switched my day off this week because I have to take my dad to the doctor, I am going to call an urgent care clinic to find out if they can give me anything stronger. I can't wait until October....There is always something!!
 
@dianehelen , yes I am at work, I used all of my vacation time, so as long as I am breathing I have to come to work, ughhhhh!!!
 
Hi Diane. I would not take the Vitamin C or a multivitamin until things are all settled out. Vitamin C in large doses can cause diarrhea and even though you are not taking large doses, your stomach is very fragile right now. Just stick to white and bland for a week. Also remember, you won't have much stool if you aren't eating much. Concentrate on the "safe" proteins for now - the eggs and PB. Stay away from dairy and fiber. You are not going to wreck your health by eating this way for a week to get your gut healed. Canned pears are a safe distraction if you miss fruit. The choice right now is - eating to heal your gut by letting it rest. I am glad things are slowing down. Take the Florastor twice a day. I do hope things continue to improve. BTW...bananas were NOT on the list of approved foods from the gastroenterologist when I was healing my gut. Try some boiled chicken, white rice, eggs, toast, canned pears, peanut butter, and crackers.
 
white rice, eggs, toast, canned pears, peanut butter, and crackers.
ok so nix on the vitamins for now. and ya, thats pretty much what I am living on. Had a few spoons of a chicken based broth soup, but not too much. Stomach feels pretty good at the moment, after 3 days on the florastor and eating very little. No diarheahh but no BM either. Guess just wait it all out.

Thanks for your guidance on this..
 
So in home PT guy just left. I cancelled him Friday, but let him come today. He is pretty good, not too pushy and even had a bit of a discussion about the less is more idea. Pretty amenable. He says im doing well for not even 2 weeks out. My bend is only 77 , my extension is 0 and he seems to think thats ok for now. But even with the minimal exercises we did, by the time we are done, Im sore. Just took some tyl.tram and gonna rest now.

Just such a long slow slog, isnt it. Trying my best, but the key word is is "trying" as boy this is a "trying" adventure, isnt it
 
Diane, if you think about it, your intestines are empty from the diarrhea. You are eating very little. Give it time. Do NOT take a laxative. If you go another day, take one of your stool softeners.
 
Good about your pt guy! I still don't have a 0 extension! A 77 bend at less than 2 weeks is great! You are doing so much better than the average person. I'm proud of you! It is normal for you to be sore already. My first little exercise I did, I thought I hadn't done hardly anything. But, I had done enough to make it hurt! Don't do anything else the rest of the day! You've had enough!

Now, you guys down there send us up some of your rain, please!
 
@dianehelen I am right there with you. My knee feels stiff and tight and I have been icing, elevating and resting all day. Seems like once my home PT stopped last Thursday it has been feeling like this. I have my first outpt rehab (PT) appt tomorrow. I'm am so nervous. I dread the thought of putting on sneakers. My husband wants to help me this evening with bending exercises so maybe it will help loosen things up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom