TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too thought the hone health nurse was a waste of time. She came 1 time and said she would order me more bandages but never got them. As for the ice machine... I am 16 days out from surgery and still use the ice machine all night. I take 2 Norco at 10:30, use the machine and usually wake up around 3:00 - 3:30 to take another pill and go right back to sleep till 7am. I'm afraid to stop the ice at night as it might be mentally what I need to sleep at night.
 
Hoping you find some relief for the stomach woes. Seems like all other problems should stop for a couple months to let us focus on our knees. Guess it doesn't work that way. The way all of you are working out the elevation and icing to find what works best for you is inspiring!
 
I'm afraid to stop the ice at night as it might be mentally what I need to sleep at night.

That's kinda my fear too. @thecoll you are about a week ahead of me, how are you handling it all? You are in Lakeland, just down the road a piece from me, and right between me and @uva55 , in Tampa.
 
I slept with ice for around 4 weeks...

You are obsessed with zombies, lol

If your tummy is not better by Monday you need to call your OS, I'm sure you are not the only patient he's had with the problems and he may be able to call something in for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I agree, if not better by Monday I surely will call. Just ate some plain white rice and some wonton soup, mostly broth, lets see how long that stays with me before my belly starts yelling at me again.
 
Ahh ya know whats nice? Ice is nice. After having it off for a few hours, just felt like it was time to put back on the old ball n chain. Feels good now. Im starting to get some if those little shock/zingers pains some of you have mentioned. Not terrible, only last a few seconds, but they sure do get your attention. Not having the ice machine pad on, made mobility so much easier to just get up, grab my wheels and ambulate. With it on its just one more process to take off then move.
 
I only use my ice machine at night and I run it all night. It stays cool for a full 7 or 8 hours - not real cold after the first few hours, but cool enough to help. In the daytime I use gel packs. They feel colder and last at least an hour. They are a lot easier to deal with when you are getting up and moving about.
 
Ya @FlaGranny the ying & yang if it all huh? Are you still icing all day when sitting and not doing other things?

I actually took a few steps today without the walker. Im not quite ready to give it up yet. You are doing great to be able to move about unassisted.
 
After the first couple of weeks I used ice packs any time I knew I was only going to be staying in one place for a short times so I could take them off easily. I continued to use it at night and also whenever I thought I would sleep for a while. I still use it at night when I need to.
 
Diane, I feel kind of anxious and really stressed so I think I would actually enjoy taking on a zombie, I think I could wIn the fight and release stress in the process, my knee can sort of handle it, as long as there is no running involved, but zombies move kind if slow, I can hold my own.:rotfl:
 
Post-surgery tummy troubles are awful! I was "inactive" for almost 8 days after my ankle surgery a few months ago. Not fun. But narcotics/opiates=constipation. That is usually one of the biggest complaints my clients with heroin and opiate addictions have (NOT implying that this applies here at all! Just an observation.)

Hope you feel better soon.
Jen
 
Just checking in on you. Give the Florastor a few days to work. It is not a one pill - BOOM - all is well. You are repairing your intestinal flora. I had diarrhea for six weeks before I found the Florasor. It did help. White potatoes are a binding food as is white bread. The rice was a good choice too. Do you like peanut butter? It is a great protein source and is a binder also. White bread with peanut butter became my "safe" meal. At times, I could only eat 1/4 of a sandwich at a time. I know it is not a healthy diet, but you are just trying to give your stomach a rest and get some protein in for healing. Good luck and I hope you feel better as the day progresses. Have you had a test for C-Diff? Call your GP and talk with them.
 
Thanks for checking on me @Timetolive . Yes I started the. Florastor yesterday, just took one now, so let's see. Yes I like peanut butter. Maybe I'll try that today, tho it seems heavier than what appeals to me right now. So another day begins. No dont think I've had a test for c-diff, could I have caught that in the hospital? Ughh more to angst about.
 
Good morning. Hope you are feeling more settled tummy wise. Please don't obsess about C-Diff. You'll make yourself crazy. Highly unlikely.......breathe, relax, chill.
 
@dianehelen Yes I am still icing nearly all the time I'm sitting or lying down. About the walker, keep in mind my house is tiny and I can grab onto a countertop or a chair or a doorway when I'm walking around inside. I do walk better and more naturally with the walker I think. I'd probably still be using it if it weren't so cumbersome.
 
Todays knee report. Ughhh, so remind me that this is a Loooooonnnnng journey and its not gonna get better overnight.

Last night for the first time, I could not fall asleep, I was freezing cold, which never happens to me. I had to get up, out of bed , throw a t shirt on over my nightgown, and put a small towel under the hose of the ice machine that was cold dangling on my leg.

Today, the whole knee just feels achey, sore, tight, not bending. Im doing very minimal exercise so I know Im not overdoing it. I walk about 5 minutes around the house, ever 2 hours or so. I grab a drink, or a snack, try to do a few gentle heel slides and bending. Really not much at all. But today, just feels so uncomfortable. Its so wierd how something can be numb and ache at the same time. Is it normal for the area around and on the sides of the incision to feel numb, but the whole area aches.

And of course with this all, comes the expected but never wanted , weeping and pity party. Also Im sick of the stupid lovenox shots, my whole belly (the outside, not inside) is bruised and I still have 5 more days to go.

I like to sit and give the wound some air for a while, but then go back to ice for some relief. It doesnt really
"look" swollen per so, but feels like it is still like its swollen.

Then the whole inside the belly issues. So far so good today, but it still doesnt feel right. Hoping a few days on the Florastor helps.

I havent taken oxy for a few days, but today the tylenol/tramadol just isnt cutting it, so I took one oxy. At this point im not too worried about constipation.

Ok thats my sissy whine moan sequence for today is over.

Have a nice day all :dubious:
 
Hang in there I am afraid it can be a roller coaster ride some days. Yes its normal for outside of knee to be numb I am starting to get feeling back in mine now 9 months post op. I had a waterproof dressing over mine so I could shower. It came off when they took the staples out. Interesting that you have staples and stitches. Crazy the different protocols. But I did like having the waterproof dressing so I could shower. I did ice continually when I wanted to get up I would just put ice machine off unplug pipes and walk around with the ice pad attached to knee then when i went back just plugged it back in. Hoping you have a better day and dont think because it doesnt look swollen that it isnt swollen inside. Maybe take a anti inflamatory to help with ache today.

:good-bad: :ice: :fingersx:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom