TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm Id like to see if an anti inflamatory would help, but I dont think I am supposed to yet? Something to call OS tomorrow to ask

Some parts of my upper thigh, from my hip surgery are still numb, 2.5 years out
 
I have to start taking aspirin when my blood thinner pill (Eliquis) is done. I'm hoping that the anti-inflammatory properties of aspirin will be a help. At one time there was nothing at all available for inflammation other than aspirin. I am on Celebrex, which is an anti-inflammatory, but the hospital record says it is being used for swelling. I've been taking Celebrex since I was in the hospital so I can't really say how much it helps.
 
I had tried celebrex for my arthritis pain but it did little. The actual best relief I got was from rx 800 mg ibu and 50mg tramadol taken twice a day. I kinda miss my ibu and will ask if I can resume it

So odd how many different ways these docs deal with the blood thinner thing post surgery. Both my hip and this two diff docs, but both made me do the annoying lovenox injections. I had asked at discharge if I could do something oral or asprin, but they said no, my doc prefers this.. oh welll
 
I was told to take two 80 mg aspirin and that was discontinued after two weeks. I am so glad that I didn't have to have shots!
 
@dianehelen yes we are a week apart and some days I handle it better than other days. Since I got my stitches out Friday it has been more tight and achy. I feel like I lost all the ROM that home therapy helped me with. I have aldo been up doing a few things such as dishes, feeding dogs and straighting up. My husband told me to STOP and rest, ice, elevate. Yes, I am in Lakeland. Looks like the I4 corridor connects you, me and @uva55. My husband worked for a company in Winter Garden so he knows Orlando area very well. Well enough to know he hates the traffic. I have not had to many stomach issues. Prior to surgery the poop fairy visits me twice a week so I am now esying a couple dried apricots a day with a stool softener which helps. I am sorry u ou are having stomach issues. I lost 10 pounds since surg as i seem to get full quicker. Hope this keeps up.
 
Due to your tummy not quite up to par and anti inflammatory could add to your your problems. You usually won't be on a blood thinner and any information inflammatory at the same time.

You will continue to have different aches or pains during your recovery. Recovery isn't a straight line progression.
 
It is a long process, I still have areas around my knee that feel numb, it is getting better but they are numb, I'm not in pain or swollen so I'm not complaining.

Each day is different, you may feel pretty good one day and the next day not so much, that's just part of a day in the life of a new knee...hang in there, it will get better!
 
I had tried celebrex for my arthritis pain but it did little. The actual best relief I got was from rx 800 mg ibu and 50mg tramadol taken twice a day. I kinda miss my ibu and will ask if I can resume it

So odd how many different ways these docs deal with the blood thinner thing post surgery. Both my hip and this two diff docs, but both made me do the annoying lovenox injections. I had asked at discharge if I could do something oral or asprin, but they said no, my doc prefers this.. oh welll

@dianehelen the Lovenox or heparin thing is tough. I was on heparin then Xeletro for three weeks post surgery. Xeletro is easier because it can be taken in pill form. But as soon as my hemotologist said I could stop blood thinners I felt much better overall. You've got a week or two more to go. But the insurance against a clot is worth it I think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi Diane
I'm sorry things are so rough at the moment. Nothing really prepares you for the reality of this recovery, especially the early days, and some days are definitely worse than others. I had Fragmin injections in hospital , but Xarelto tablets for two weeks when I came home. Just as well, I'm completely needle phobic. Those shots must be horrible, it's funny how different surgeons prefer them, but I bet they wouldn't like it.
It's ok to have a moan, at least we all understand.
Love and hugs,
Tabby xxx
 
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with so many issues in addition to your knee. You know these things will all pass in time....but it sure doesn't feel like it right now, I know. I remember when I had my first TKR 3 years ago I was absolutely sure I would NEVER feel good again. I was so wrong. I have to keep that in mind as I continue this recovery too. You'll get there. Every day brings you closer to pain free days.
 
TKR 3 years ago I was absolutely sure I would NEVER feel good again

Ya after my year long hip nighmare I swore I would rather opt for a wheelchair instead of facing another joint replacement, yet here I am two and a half years later. I just wish I had a time machine and could set it to advance 6 weeks or so.

Just up from my lovely afternoon nap, back in my chair, ice machine running, wonderful sweet husband making me some eggs n toast. He deserves a medal or someting. After I get thru this and ever feel I can not be in constant pain, I'm gonna have to give him a coupon book for a month of sexual favors, or something. I know I count my lucky stars to have this man in life for 43 years.

Ok dinner is served to me in my chair...
 
I know I felt terrible having m BFF and family looking after me. I was always the caregiver, but I learned so much being on the other side of things. In another few weeks you'll be able to do for yourself. Little steps...
 
I'm still icing every night. Sometimes all night long or as long as the cold water lasts. It helps to keep my aching down. Whenever I'm going to be sitting for a while I have the ice machine going. I told my friends that I'm addicted to ice! Hey, that's better than Oxycodone! I still get strange pains here and there and most of the time I've done nothing to make them flare up. But, they are lasting only a short time now. Diane, it does get so much better! I'm praying your stomach will, too!
 
Hi Daine, I hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm sorry about your tummy troubles.

I just stopped icing at night (a little over six weeks out) only because the hose was bugging me and I prefer a nightgown to PJ pants. I still ice quite a bit during the day and was icing nearly constantly for the first five weeks or so. I didn't have direction to air out my wound.

I feel the same way about my husband — so blessed.
 
@dianehelen I love reading your posts. Crazy thing is I thought about the same exact thing for my husband. He has been so amazing and supportive. Prior to surgery I did everything...housework, yard work, paid bills, took care of the dogs, shopping, all the cooking etc.. now my hubby keeps telling me how much he appreciates that I take care of everything plus work 50-60 hours a week.
 
I hope each day keeps getting better! No such thing as a pity party here!!!

Btw...I still have a little 2x2 area on the front of my knee that will always be numb from my TTT 22 years ago! I can seriously poke or touch it with anything and I do not feel it! Could be a great party trick if I wanted it to be!!
Jen
 
DianeHelen, I too, love your posts! I've been absent this weekend caring for my 5 year-old granddaughter, so that has meant not as much time for anything else... I'm 6 weeks out and still icing and elevating every chance I get. All night ice machine is on, and I learnt early to have a towel to cover the foam-covered channel the water goes through. That way it's clamminess doesn't wake me at night. I'm so sorry your tummy troubles aren't gone yet... I got into the stool softener-stewed prunes routine early on, but we've had such heat here that I wasn't eating much cooked, so am not as good about taking them, suffering the consequences some days. My OS had me take regular adult-strength aspirin, so guess I'm thankful to not have had to give myself shots! That seems unfair on top of all else you've got challenging you.
Yes, I still have numb areas that are achey as well as numb...weird. Mostly the pain for me is on the lateral side just outside my knee both above and below the joint. The pain cream I use helps a lot and seems to take care of about 50% of that area's pain. I have another numb area where I suspect they had the touriquet, which is painful, sometimes hot and numb, about 5" above the knee... Initially, I had a very numb area just outside below my Incision area, the skin seemed very taut and shiny, too. My PT said she wanted me to futz with it, stimulate it with wash cloths, make sure to desensitize it to avoid a chronic super stimulated area later that could take a long time to progress to "okay". So, I did so and it's no more hyperstimulated now than elsewhere...
My DH has been sweet and cooking wonderful things for me, as well. He's a wonderful cook, initially retired and took over home husband duties since I ran our business. Since he loves to cook, he has gotten really good at low-fat, healthy cooking, so I'm very fortunate indeed! (We're a bit of a pair as he's also using a cane due to a toe infection, so we've had friends say we need to come up with top hats and a cane & a "dance" routine!) He also has to be the family chauffeur, too, since I'm not permitted to drive until I'm off the narcotic pain Meds...
I hope your day tomorrow is better yet and tummy troubles are finally sorted out! Glad so many folks have been helping and supporting your efforts here! This is such an amazing group of good people!
 
Good morning my Bonesmart family. Another long days journey into night begins. First let me start with the positive. With all the posts I see about sleep problems, I'm so thankful in not in that group. I look forward to the end of these long tortuous days, where I can stretch out on my lovely bed, take my drugs, strap on my headphones and drift off to sweet, escaping sleep. I stopped setting my 4am med alarm, because I seem to always wake up at about that time to take my next round of tylenol pm & tramadol, set up and waiting on my night table, then drift back to sleep till 7am or so. So that's a good thing.

But then the day begins, start off coffee, light breakfast, drugs , then sit in recliner in moderate achey pain, ice machine strapped on. Seems as these days move on, the tightness in my knee feels worse not better, does this seem normal? (Whatever normal is). I try to gently bend my knee to increae some bend, but it hurts and is tight & I dont want to force it. Pt is supposed to call & come today. I cancelled him Friday, should I do it again, or let him come and just do very little? What I am doing, is several walks around the house during the day, a few very gentle, limited heel slides, ankle pumps, but not too much else. My rom is something like 78/5 at just under 2 weeks.

Stomach issue, seems a bit better, but im barely eating, mostly sticking to BRAT, with some eggs and a bit of pb. Im on day 3 of the Florastor, and did not have any diarrhea events yesterday, but no regular bm's either. Does this sound like progress @Timetolive ? Also, is it ok to keep taking my vitamin C, which helps healing. What about my multivitamin?

So on to another day of ice, elevation, rest, boredom & healing. I hope I get to see the day where I feel this was worth it.
 
Not sure which was worse for me, nighttime or boredom during the day. I so wished I could read, but could not concentrate at all. So I channel surfed and watched endless episodes of Law and Order. I was also on my iPad a lot! When I need to do the left I will have some crayons and adult coloring books on hand, certainly I could concentrate enough to color.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom