TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane, I found that the pillow stack was very uncomfortable for my operated leg so I've just been elevating it by putting it up on the sofa. I've tried the pillows several times and decided it was just too uncomfortable for me. I have found that my recliner with a small pillow under the operated leg works very well. I'm having trouble with my foot and ankle. I adjust the pillow so my heel does not touch anything and that gives me relief and comfort.
 
I just used my sofa, with or without ice, keeping leg straight out. Course, I was able to extend from the very first day, so it didn't bother me to keep it straight. Hope you are feeling much better now.
 
I alternated on elevation with pillows one or two and no pillows and after awhile about any position becomes uncomfortable and a new position feels better. I just used ice bags and decreased my usage over time but still use a few hours a day. You will find what works for you. Just keep experimenting and adjusting. One of the joys of a TKR! Good Luck!
 
Personally I found that if I didn't ice I had lots of swelling and more pain, I never elevated that high, I placed a pillow under my leg when I sat on the recliner, my back also bothered me if I tried to elevate too high.

I'm glad the belly is better!
 
I fell in love with my sofa and just a cushion under the leg. I even slept there at night when I couldn't stand the bed. Find the place you are most comfortable and relax. The only thing I was told over and over again was not to put a pillow directly under the knee because that would impede extension. Of course, once in awhile I'd cheat. As a friend said - all rules are made to be broken. Be comfortable! I hope your stomach starts behaving.
 
At different times of the day I would just put one pillow under my knee. As soon as it got more swollen then I would resort to either the ice machine or ice packs on my leg. My incision didn't have a dressing get on it so I'd I was wearing sports I used a small kitchen towel over it other if I had pants on I used nothing. You will find what works best for you. I usually iced all night.
 
Nurse coming later, and she annoys me too, I guess I dont like 'extra' perky people. Does that make me a grinch?
Uh, NO. You've been through major surgery and you don't need annoyance right now. CANCEL HER TOO- LOL!!!
 
Ha. Cancel the nurse! Maybe let her come with her perky, to see what she has to say.

Sometimes, for me, just lying on my bed flat with one pillow under my leg, was enough. Too much elevation all the time puts strain on the back muscles, which are the weakest muscle group.
 
so today Im going with the hour or so ice, then a few hours of air. Then alternating between the pillows to elevate and just reclining with the leg rest up. Guess all a matter of finding what works, and adjusting as I go along. Not really having alot of swelling, so thats a good thing. As for covering, when im airing, its just open to the air, and Im wearing house dress type things so to ice Im just covering with gauze and the nice mesh netting that the home intake nurse gave me. Seems to work for now.

so far today, not too terrible. I even for the first time cooked my own egg and toast, gave hubby a small break. It was a bit challenging, but leaning on the counters and working quickly , I was able to get it done.

baby step by baby step I guess. Tummy not too bad today, cant say its right with the world, but its not terrible. Gonna have some tofu and white rice for dinner later, that should be gentle enough
 
Diane, it sounds like you're doing great for only 10 days! And I'm so glad to hear that the tummy is doing better.
 
Hi Diane, I'm happy you are a little bit better. You might not see it from day to day, but those of us following your thread can detect definite improvement. It's a slow recovery as we all know and you can't hurry it, but I think you are doing really well. Stay positive.
Love and hugs,
Tabby xxx
 
It is baby steps, it sounds like you are doing so much better.:thumb:

You are so lucky that the swelling is not bad, I had a couple of times that I had so much swelling I was afraid my would pop open.

You said it, you have to figure out what works best for you, everyone's recovery has its uniqueness :loveshwr:
 
Just a little bit at a time. You are moving ahead in your recovery. Keep it up. You are doing well. And you can ditch the nurse too if you want.
 
I also agree with @uva55 that the nurse was a waste of time. She went through this exhausting list of questions to include where would I go in case of an evacuation! At that point I think my answer was "not anywhere fast." You are the boss of your recovery. Do what works for you.
 
I didn't have a home nurse either. I would think if you think things look/feel ok, you can tell them you don't need them to come that day. Boy, I was deprived! I didn't get ANY homecare! LOL!
 
My home nurse came three times and the last time took out my staples. 34 of the hurt and 1 didn't! I was glad she did it though, because my doctor is over an hour away and I was not up to riding that far.
 
I think she is done but who knows. I agree a bunch of stupid questions. Because im a smart butt, after she was done, I asked her, so what do I do in case of a zombie apocalypse. Don't think she was amused.

So, I may have spoken too soon on the tummy troubles ughhh. I got the florastor @Timetolive recommended, took one please let it help. I also broke down and took immodium. I have never ever had this issue before or with any other surgery. My paranoid mind starts to wander about having to go to the ER. How in heck would I even imagine that in my recovering knee condition. I know, I'm over reacting, but just me I guess. Keep a good thought for my poor tummy to repair itself.
 
Ice question. How long post surgery did you sleep overnight with ice machine or ice in general? I have had the machine going all night since I came home, just wondering if I can maybe not sleep with it overnight yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom