TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how long does this quad pain/tightness take to ease up.
I will be calling to os today to ask if he will give me a rx for Robaxin to help.

Im also concerned with this lower back pain on my surgery side from keeping my leg elevated at the high wierd angle.

So another day begins... I know its pretty early, only a week out, but im tired of fighting aches and pain all all types all day
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Like you, I could not tolerate Oxycodone and went home on just Tramadol and Tylenol. I was able to get through OK without the heavy stuff. I hope you do too.
 
Once I stopped the Tramadol my appetite began to return. Yes, everything tasted funny. A friend made a lovely chicken pot pie and it tasted horrible. I froze it and had it last week. It was great. This surgery does funny things to you but they are temporary.
 
@dianehelen
Just saying hello from the UK. I didn't realise how much I missed everyone. I felt like my support system was cut off. I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there and getting some rest. Being in constant pain wears you out so much so I hope you can find meds that help and don't cause other problems.
Sending love and hugs across the pond :console2:
 
Ya it was a sad and new development to me that the oxy no longer was tolerated. It used to always be my goto pain drug for surgeries. But this time it really messed me up bad. Hopefully the T/T combo will suffice.
 
@dianehelen
I couldn't even tolerate Tramadol :sick: made me sooooo sick. I came home with only Paracetamol (Tylenol). I hope this combo will work for you. You need pain relief.
Tabby xxx
 
Food is definitely not our friend, I felt like everything was dry and I had to chew it 1000 times before I could swallow it. I did better with drinks, smoothies, my husband would cut up watermelon and put it thru the blender with ice and 1 teaspoon of sugar and that was very refreshing and I actually loved drinking it.

It will get better soon, you will see, hey I am jealous that you can sleep in bed, it took me weeks to get there :)
 
@dianehelen the only medication side effect I'm getting is the appetite thing and maybe the heart rate. I have to look up the side effects of the meds before I see the OS tomorrow.

@uva55 I tried eating crackers a few times and it is like I have a mouth full of desert sand.
 
Ya I am having the same thing with crackers, feel like im chewing sand. I try dipping them into my protein drinks, helps some. But this whole food, stomach thing is as annoying as the pain thing.

I know its early, but I am feeling some depression setting in. Also worried about this lower back/hip pain. I sure hope it's not my hip, cuz that was the nightmare hip replacement.

*sigh* just have to keep on keeping on.
 
Diane, I experienced hip pain and as soon as I'd move around it went away. At the time I thought it was from being in one position for so long and sitting so much.

What about fig newtons or something not so dry? I did drink tons of water throughout my recovery. Nothing else tasted right except water.
 
Hmm fig newtons. Havent had those in years. Used to love them thanks @KarriB

Im a huge water drinker , always have been.

Adding fig newtons to shopping list.

I just took the giant elevation stack down for a bit, gonna see how just normal recliner elevatiing works for a bit.
 
@Suz I was noticing your rom timeline and wondered how your OS reacted to your 6 week progress/mua refusal.

My pt guy, not really pressuring so to speak, but says my OS expects to see 90/0 by my follow up which is sept 8. As of yesterday, at 1 week it was 78/8 , and he keeps telling me the only way that gets better is by forcing it to bend back, to which I keep saying is not happening.
 
Ok OS office just called back, called in a rx for robaxin, oh goody, more drugs. Lets see if that helps the muscle pain/tightness. Thanks again for the idea @newlybionic
 
September 8th is two weeks away. As you get further away from surgery and swelling the ROM will come. Don't worry about it right now. 78 is great for a week out. It's your knee and there's still a looooooooong way to go.
:bolt:
 
Don't let pt intimidate you! It sounds like something they were all trained to say. So many of us have heard to same thing over and over. Stick to your guns! There's no rush. So what if you don't have it at 6 weeks. No big deal! If it takes longer, it takes as long as it takes. You are not rushing to go back to work. Take your time and don't cause anymore pain than you already have. Your knee will get there on it's own. Look at me. No pt and I'm doing just fine. I'm going down stairs normally when I can hold on to the rails. I'm riding the recumbent bike and taking care of the house, yard and cats. That's all without pt! The knee knows what it needs to do and so do you! Keep up the good work! I'm sorry about the Oxy not working for you. Maybe after you're able to eat more you'll be able to tolerate it. My appetite was non-existent for about 6 weeks. Now, I'm afraid to step on the scales!
 
78 is great for just 1 week out. You are being wise to not let your PT force your leg as that leads to more pain and swelling. I had the PT less than 24 hours already threatening me with a MUA since I wasn't able to bend my knee very much and I couldn't even get my heel on the ground when walking the 50 feet to the PT area. I just burst out laughing. I would have tried to blame the meds but I just thought the whole conversation was crazy. Most OS are looking for about 90 by 6 weeks so don't worry about it right now.

I hope the Robaxin helps you as much as it helped me. I continued to take pain mess too.
 
BTW I found if I only took one or two oxycodone a day it didn't bother my stomach as much. I used it before bed and the tylenol/tramadol during the day.
 
thank you all for the reassurance. You guys are all just the very very best. I just ate some chicken noodle soup, from Fresh Market, that I almost enjoyed... maybe there is hope. I just feel so overall beat up, but guess thats to be expected. Still thankful to be able to sleep in my bed, where I am heading now for my afternoon rest/nap , just a few hours excape from the chair...

The Tylenol PM/ Tramadol / Xanax seem to do me fine for night time. I sleep from about 11 till my next meds are due. I have an alarm set, but my leg seems to be the best alarm. Take meds at 3am, then sleep till about 7. So I guess Im thankful for that.

Another piece of stupidness, from healthcare. Called pharmacy to check on status of the robaxin called in, they told me, they have it, but my ins plan, under medicare wont cover it without a prior authorization from dr? WTH??? the DR called it in, isnt that authorization that I need it? Guess not...They said he has to call an auth number then they review it to see if they will cover it. I asked what would it be to jsut pay for the dam thing, its $21, sheesh, I said fill the darn thing, and I'll have my husband come get it. The lady at the pharmacy, who was from UK agreed with me that it made no sense, she said how can bureaucrats decide what drugs people need, if their drs say they need it. Just nutzo
 
Diane, they all tell you that, my doc did not measure my ROM when I went in for my two week follow up, they are more interested in how the wound looks, how I was walking, if I could lift my leg onto the table, they will ask you to straighten the leg when you lay down on the bed to see how the extension, they never pushed on the knee, they removed the bandage and the stitches, and placed butterfly bandages, gave me prescriptions for step down pain meds and sent me on my way. When you can, just start to do your heel slides, you don't have to do many and stop when it feels uncomfortable, and I used to place a chair across from me and lift my leg and let gravity work its magic for the extension, again just a few at a time. The PT has to earn their living and that is by making people have therapy, let your knee be your guide.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom