TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Dewey , sorry just been trying to catch up with everyone. Looks like you've been given loads of good advice re your PT and ROM. I have been having terrible med and nausea issues, you are so not alone with this and only 1 week out and I'm trying to cut back as much as I can so I can get through the day. So I'll be with you on the taking it very slowly exercising etc as I simply won't have the painkillers In me to cope. Lots of luck and good wishes. Fx
 
Hello, and thanks again for your great advice.

I'm doing pretty well with only the Tylenol #3. I am taking it around the clock and the pain is pretty manageable most of the time. It does get worse after the exercises, but I'm trying to take it easy and ice and elevate afterwards.

The in-home PT came today for the the last time. I begin at a rehab facility on Monday. I'm going to discuss with the therapist BEFORE we begin next week that I will work hard because I really want a good outcome, but I will work to discomfort only.....not pain! I did try to push it a bit today just because I really wanted some improvement from last time, and I'm afraid I'm paying for it tonight.

I am 2 weeks and 2 days out, and she measured a ROM of 72 and a 10 on straightening. How is that? She didnt seem too concerned today, but I could tell she'd like to see my ROM a higher number. I'm trying hard not to get discouraged about it.....I believe it WILL come on it's own time. Im not going to get crazy with worrying about the numbers, but I'd like to know if you think those numbers are really low.

Thanks to you all for helping me. It truly does help when I can talk with others who have been where I am right now. It is nice to feel like I am not alone in all of this!
 
Hi Dewey, I'm pleased you have had a better PT. :). from all the stuff on here, 72 ROM at 2 weeks sounds good to me! Remember, everyone is different and ROM can increase up to and beyond a year. Your doing good for such recent surgery. Take care. X
 
Hi Dewey,
First of all I am glad you are doing better. I am by no means an expert at all but while I was in PT, I met a wonderful lady name Jackie. She had the same struggles with nausea plus after she started PT, she got the flu, another setback. Because of her weakness it took her a little longer but about 3 weeks ago I watched her walk out of PT, her last visit. She looked so good, what a difference from the first time I met her.
I wish you the best in starting your new rehab and one day it will be your last day and there will be someone watching you walk out and you inspired them and did not realize it.
I saw her at a store about a week later and I was so happy to see her and to let her know, that she made a difference in my life.
 
I, too, loved the story, Kim! I so hope to be someone's inspiration someday!

I can't believe how much of a ROLLER COASTER this recovery is! I had read that over and over before I got here, but........wow, one day is good, the next is bad, then it's good again! It's so hard to believe! I try hard to NOT get discouraged on the bad days, but sometimes it's hard! I'm working hard on keeping my head up!

Today seems to be a pretty good one so far. My physical therapist finished my at home therapy yesterday. It wasn't the regular one that had been coming all along, but the head of the department that had to come to release me from home care. While my ROM wasn't as far as he would have liked (his goal is 90-100 at the end of 2 weeks!), he thought I was going well. I can get my leg pretty straight but the bend is not good as yet. I'm working on it, but I'm sure I'm not working as hard as he would want me to. He seemed to be extremely agressive, however, he didn't put his hands on me at all....just encouraged me to go as far as I could and then some. It seems that the more I do the more it hurts that evening and through the next day. I would just love to have a pain free day once in a while!

I'm still taking only the tylenol with codeine. In fact, I'm able to go a little more than every 6 hours now. I do make sure I'm well medicated, though, before any physical therapy or on my own exercises. It seems to be enough for now. I begin out patient PT on Monday, and that may be a different story.

The new physical therapist did get me off the walker, though! I didn't think my gait was good enough as yet, but he felt like I could continue to work on that with the cane. I'm actually getting pretty good on it now and gaining more confidence. In fact, I think I'm going to venture out for my first time today (besides my doctor visit last week). We are going to go to a close by restaurant for a quick lunch. I don't want to over do it on my first adventure so there won't be too much walking or a long car ride involved. I think I will begin to feel like a "normal" person again if I can get out of this house!

One piece of bad news.....My mother-in-law has been in poor health for sometime now, and she has taken a turn for the worse the last couple of days. She is in the last stages of Alzheimers, and has stopped eating and barely responds now. They don't think it will be too long now. Bless her heart....she is the best mother-in-law you could ever ask for. I will miss her. I'm worried about not being able to help my husband much with the preparations and being able to put up the out-of-town relatives. I just can't get things ready for them right now! Believe me, there would need to be a lot done around here before we could have overnight guests!! I sure hope everyone understands.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued support and encouragement! It is so appreciated!
 
Dewey, sorry to hear about your mum in law, you can only do what you can. Sending hugs :friends:

Glad to hear you are feeling better otherwise, and PT is going ok. My PT will not be pleased when I see her nx week, she is lovely though!, as I can barely bend my leg, everything hurts.

Take care, sending my best wishes to you and your family . Fx
 
First real outing today! It did feel good to get out of the house! The car ride was tough, though, and sitting at the table at lunch was uncomfortable. The only real walking I did was at the nursing home to visit my mother-in-law. Her room is down a long corridor, and with the help of my new cane and my husband, I made it. It was hard, but I knew it was important to visit today. So glad I did.

Came home, got comfy on the couch, and slept for two hours!!! I was completely worn out! Guess I'd better begin working on my stamina!

Knee seems a bit stiffer tonight, but the pain is about the same. Hope that continues. Have a great night, everyone!
 
Yea Dewey,
First of all I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. It was nice that you went to see her with your husband today.
Wow, to get out of the house today and go out to eat, good for you. Walker to cane, now that is some progress. One thing about roller coasters the ride does end :snork: .
Keep up the good work. Warm hugs and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Take care of yourself,
 
Wow, this energy drain is really something! I do the slightest thing and have to lay down to sleep!!

Went to my first session of physical therapy today. It went well, and I was worried for nothing! She was great at only pushing me to discomfort and didn't hurt me. She did a lot of massaging of my incision and the area around it. My numbers weren't great, but she assured me that they will come. She doesn't seem to be one that insists on making a great ROM by a certain time. I am encouraged and look forward to seeing her again on Wednesday. I will go three times a week for 4 to 6 weeks.

Just wondering about this energy drain.....How long will this last? I've been just exhausted today! Have only been off the couch to use the bathroom and get a snack. I feel like I just want to sleep. Did my hour long outing today really do that to me?
 
The energy level will gradually get better. Right now your body is telling you it's ok to go slow. I think one of the reasons people need to be off work for at least 8 weeks is the energy isn't back yet.
 
Hi, Dewey. Sounds like you are listening to all these wonderful people and going a little easier on yourself. I was just thinking that I hope you are not putting pressure on yourself to get to a certain point in healing this knee before you go in for the second. My knees are at the same point now even if they were done 7 weeks apart. And when I had the second done, I obviously slowed down my PT temporarily, and it didn't affect the first knee. I am noticing an increase in ROM even now, and I have slowed my activity to a crawl in the past few weeks due to my other things. But my normal activity continues to help my ROM. I so regret my aggressive PT, and if I could get back to your point, I would do it all differently. I paid the price for doing what your PT is pushing you to do. Slow and steady, girl. It's not a race, it is a healing process.
 
The energy drain was the one thing that I was totally unprepared for. Totally. Being tired, yes. Some pain, of course. But feeling hit by a bus about 20 out of 24 hours, at best? No. Even now, week nine, I am still not totally back to normal. Almost, but not quite. I gave my OS a huge talking-to about counseling patients about this, and about sleep disturbances. He got quite wide-eyed!
 
I'm very fortunate in that from day 1 I've slept pretty well, but and it's a big but, everything I/we do is physically & mentally draining. 6 email, replied to & I'm ready for a nap!... seriously everything we do has to be thought about. Other people don't have to think about standing up& walking to the loo, we have to plan to stand, make sure sticks are set, shoes on etc etc. Healing is tiring & until we're in the situation no idea how tiring!

We have to listen to our bodies, do as much or as little as we want to, we WILL get there, your knee your speed, slow & steady I reckon is better than pushing it! I cannot imagine how people go back to work after only 6 weeks, but we are all different.... thank goodness!

Sorry to hear about your Mum-in-law but glad you were able to visit.

You're doing great & should be proud of yourself:egypdance: !

Hugs :friends:
Hx
 
:flwrysmile: Dewey Im so pleased you are doing well. And you have the right attitiude. Numbers dont matter in the early recovery stages. They will come in time and shouldnt be worried about. I am sorry to hear about your MIL. Also pleased that you managed to go and see her. It does wipe you out when you have a day out/ All you want to do is hibernate for a day. I know I spent an awful lot of time on my bed with everything I needed all around me when my husband and daughter went back to Uni and work. I am 19 weeks now and progressing well if not quite as much as I thought I would be. Still I know I will get there and also know I wuldnt be this far ahead without the help and support of this forum. It savd my life with all the friendships I have made and the encouragement I have received on the dark days when you think it will never end. Hope it helps you too. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Dewey, I have just caught up on your posts. You are doing very well. I am so impressed that you managed to visit your mother in law and agree that it was a really important thing to do. I am sorry to hear she is so poorly.
Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to rest and sleep when you need to as your body is telling you it need the energy to heal.
You are doing so well,
Congratulations on your excellent progress,
Toothfairy x
:puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :cheers: :happydance:
 
Hello, all...

Thank you all, once again, for your nice comments. I'm doing ok today, still tired with no energy, but I'm trying to get up and move once in a while. Seems like I need to push myself a bit to get going, and then I have a little energy. Believe me, I'm not doing much, though!

I do have some sad news. We lost my Mother-in-Law this morning. It was a blessing, actually, but she will certainly be missed. Going to the visitation, funeral, and family dinners will certainly be a challenge for me, but I'll find a way to do it. I'm sure I'll need some extra naps afterwards! Just hope everyone understands...

I am finding, too, that many people think this is an "easy" surgery! I already feel like some friends and relatives think I should be going and doing much more than I'm doing. (I even fear my husband is thinking this!) How do you all deal with this?
 
You smile, nod your head, and say, "Thank you so much for your good wishes." Or, "I'm so glad that you shared that with me! I'll have to remember to tell my surgeon/PT/OT how quickly most other people get better so I can research a malpractice suit." Or, "My goodness, you certainly were lucky to have a quick recovery! How long ago was your knee replacement?"
As for your husband, luckily my surgeon told mine that it would be six weeks of hell, followed by six weeks of a lot of improvement, followed by, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" I'm at week 9, and the surgeon was right. Your husband also has the added worry of his mother, poor man. I'm sure he knows how much you cared about her; it's difficult to feel pulled in different directions with different worries.
Take care of yourself, and let others take care of both of you through this difficult time.
 
Dewey, my deepest sympathies go out to you and your family on the loss of your MIL. Know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom