Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2 If you're asking if it's "normal" to be on a crying jag and unable to sleep because your pain meds are making you nauseated and unable to eat, well, of course, the answer is yes. And this very thing has happened to and is probably happening right now to others. Hopefully the anti-nausea med your hubby is picking up for you will do the job.

These first 2 weeks will be the hardest, and things will begin to improve from there. You just have to find the right combination of drugs to manage the pain, keep nausea away, and fend off constipation. A fairly tall order---but you'll get there. It isn' t going to be easy here in the beginning, but it is going to be worth it, and you will begin to realize that a few more weeks along the way.

This is a long journey with a lot of ups and downs---but the more faithfully you follow the mantra:
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
pain & nausea meds on a schecule;
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
elevate (toes above nose);
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
ice, ice, and ice some more; and
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
lots of rest all day and night long, the better everything will be.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
 
Dewey, sorry to hear about the nausea---probably the worst feeling ever!! Here is what I did.

first I put a small notebook next to my bed to record the meds, so that I could remember when I took them.

I also had a small plastic box with some packets of peanut butter and some grahmn crackers---I would eat one or two whenever I took my meds--it does not matter if you are 'hungry" just eat to avoid the nausea.

Some meds cause nausea in me and not others. So, Lortab makes me nauseous while percoset does not.

Also, I sometimes took one pill every two hours instead of two every four hours. It seemed to help to spead out the dose.

I took Percoset 5/325 for the first two weeks. one every four to six hours. Kelly
 
Thanks for your encouragement! Just knowing that what I'm experiencing is normal helps me to cope.

Took the medication as soon as he got home with it. Believe it or not, I was feeling a bit better within 15 minutes. I'm still really, really tired, but the terribly sick, upset stomach feeling is gone. Just had my first solid food in two days. I'm sure that will help with my energy level, too. Going to take another nap now!

Boy, when you all talked about this recovery being a "roller coaster ride".....You Weren't Kidding!!! Thanks, again!
 
:happydance:
That is really great news Dewey,
Keep taking the tablets! Good news that you have managed to eat as that will help you too.
Take it gently and rest, ice and elevate!
Toothfairy x :yes!:
 
Hello Dewey! Hugs to you. Besides the anti-nausea meds....maybe your doctor can give you some other type of narcotic for pain. They are all not the same. Some can cause nausea for some people...and others don't. And everyone is different. Eat what you feel like eating...and don't overdo it. You might be able to keep down a bite of this or a bite of that. Your body will adjust to all this craziness and YOU WILL FEEL BETTER!!! Hugs to you...Pam
 
Hello Dewey,
how are you doing today? I hope things are improving and you are resting.:sleep:
Toothfairy,
x
:friends:
 
Well, I so wanted to be one of those posters that came to give my daily progress, and to help others along the way. It's been difficult for me to do much at all, and I'm afraid it hasn't worked out like I had planned...

The anti-nausea medication helped for about 24 hours. Then, I was back to feeling like I could get sick every single time I moved! I really haven't eaten much in the last week, and I just can't get past the sick feeling. I'm getting a little more weak everyday, and it certainly hasn't helped with the exercises I'm supposed to be doing! I just can't do them, and I'm so afraid I'm falling behind every day!

I've called the surgeon's office again today to see if he will prescribe something different for pain. I've cut down my Norco and tried to suppliment with my Tylenol, but I just don't think it's enough as yet. I'm only 8 days out! I'm hoping she'll have something else for me to try.

My PT comes again this afternoon, and I'm really worried about her visit. Her first one wasn't that terrible, although I was really sore afterward. I know I'm not going to be able to do much today due to my inactivity. She is most definately one that believes a lot has to be done NOW or else, so I'm not sure how no progress is going to go over with her. To tell you the truth, I'm really nervous about her visit.

My husband has been absolutely wonderful, and I'm so lucky to have him. I know he's becoming more worried about me each day, and I'm really trying to get food down just for him. It's really hard, though!

Please come back with your wonderful encouraging words for me. I know it will get better, but right now, it's so hard to keep my head up and not just continually lay on the couch and sleep. Seems like that's all I can do right now. I'll appreciate any help you can offer me! Thanks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
Oh, Dewey, I am so sorry that you have not been able to beat the problem with the nausea. And, of course, not being able to eat is not good for you with all the healing that is taking place and all the energy your body needs for that. It doesn't leave much energy for you to do even the basic things. Keep after your doctor about getting this taken care of. You need proper pain meds and to be able to eat.

Now about that PT. Please, sweetie, you are the customer---your insurance is footing the bill. She is required to do it your way or not at all. Even in your weakened condition, you need to let her know that you do not share her view of therapy and it's going to be your way or the highway. You can have the agency she's from send someone else---after you talk with them and let them know what it is you expect. Don't be nervous, just smile sweetly and tell her how it is with you. I know it's hard to be "tough" when all you want to do right now is be unconscious.

Please try to keep your spirits up---it will get better---just not as soon as we'd all like for you. Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
 
Hello, again...

Thanks for your kind words.
The surgeon's office just called and they have called in a prescription of Tylenol #3 with codeine for me. She thought it might help with the nausea. But..........isn't that even weaker of a pain med than the Norco?? The tylenol is the same (325), but I'm not sure about the pain killer. Any help out there?

She said this is about the only other thing I can take due to my allergy to NSAID's.

Not feeling too encouraged right now.....
 
Hi Dewey,
You poor thing. I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time.
Well done for trying to eat, little and often. It is so difficult when you feel so ill but it might help settle your poor stomach. I hope you are managing to drink as being dehydrated will also make you feel bad.
I hope the new medication will help control your pain and lessen your nausea.
Hopefully you will soon be feeling much better and come through this very difficult patch.
Hang on in there, each day is bringing you closer too feeling better, brighter and with a shiny new knee,
Big gentle healing hugs coming your way, sleep and rest as much as you can and let your body heal,
Toothfairy x
:console2:
 
Dewey, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you are feeling better soon. If you can't eat, at least try sipping on a little Gatoraid for electrolytes. I lost a fair amount of weight the first two weeks (12 pounds) because I just was not hungry. When I was concerned about feeling very tired and just bad, the home health care nurse suggested the Gatoraid. It really helped.
 
Hi Dewey, I am so happy to hear you are ok after the op. Sorry you are having some problems with nausea and hope it is soon under control. I agree with what everyone else has said and I to think you are doing a really good job and very brave. Sending hugs your way and keep us posted how things go. :flwrysmile: :angel:
 
Hi, Dewey -- Nothing's worse than nausea, so I hope the Tylenol 3 works well enough for you. Try some ginger tea: nature's own anti-nausea remedy. You can buy ginger teabags or just grate fresh ginger into very hot/boiling water & add a little honey. There are also ginger candies and candied ginger; I gobbled down the latter like crack. Well, not really, because it's spicy-hot, but it was a godsend. Best.
 
Hope you are doing better today and congrats on your new knee. I have enjoyed reading your posts so far.
Best of luck to you in your recovery,

Kim
RTKR February 18, 2013
 
Dewey, I was exactly the same as you for quite a while - complete lack of appetite, nauseous and weak. I was literally eating nothing, just couldn't face anything. Ray and my Mum were literally trying to force me to eat. It wouldn't compute with them that I just could not. I know they were only concerned with my health.

In the end Ray phoned our GP who prescribed anti-sickness pills and after a couple of days they did help. I stopped feeling sick all the time (but still did sparodically) and my appetite only returned a little, but at least I started to eat a little something gradually.

Through all of this I have lost 20lbs and I am grateful for that as I feel so good about my new figure. For me, it was worth going through that - but I wouldn't have agreed at the time.

My appetite has now returned to normal, but I am careful with the amounts that I eat as I want to keep the weight that I am currently.

Just wanted you to know all this so that you know that for some of us, this sickness is a normal process. It literally is a roller coaster and bumpy ride, but it does have an ending :flwrysmile:
 
Hello, and thanks, once again!

The OS changed me to Tylenol #3 yesterday, and while the nausea is a bit better, the pain control is not as good. I am doing ok with resting, elevating, and icing, but when I try to do any exercise, I can surely tell the difference. I just hate to push through the pain, and I think I'm not going to make any progress this way. Really don't know what to do. The nausea has really cost me a few days, I'm afraid. I, also, didn't sleep near as well or as long last night.

I'm doing quite well fending for myself during the day now, though. I'm able to take care of my little dog, too, who really cheers me up. Once I get passed my morning nausea, I am better in the later afternoon and evening. I know I've made progress, it's just hard to really see. I know if I could eat something substantial rather than just a few bites here and there, I'd have much more energy. Maybe tomorrow...

I see the surgeon to get my staples out tomorrow morning. I'm quite nervous about that.....although I've read many accounts that it's not too bad. They said I have about 12 staples to remove. Will it be horrible??

Any medication experts out there? Can I do the hard work that I have coming up with just Tylenol #3??

Thanks!
 
Hi Dewey, I am so pleased the nausea is improving.
Not so good about the pain control. It seems to be a balancing act, hopefully it will soon level out. It is still very early days so resting, icing and elevating sounds good, if exercising hurts you maybe need to leave it for a bit and just have some healing time.
I hope your staple removal is nice and easy,
Keep your chin up, each day is a day nearer to that pain free knee,
Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
Just an update......It's Day 12 for me now.

I've stopped the Norco completely, and I'm just taking the Tylenol #3 with Codeine. It's working ok, although I think pain control was better on the Norco. I'm able to get up and around (still with a walker), and do most things for myself now. There has surely been real progress! I'm no longer sick to my stomach all of the time (thank God!), but appetite hasn't returned to normal. Being able to eat a little bit, though, sure adds to my energy level.

Staples were removed yesterday! It wasn't near as bad as I had imagined! Stung a little, but I tolerated it just fine. The OS seemed pleased with my progress, although he didn't even ask about my flexion and extension numbers. He asked me to lift my leg which I was able to do, but that's it. They put steri stips on my incision, and they said I could now shower. Yippy! He even said I could drive in a week or two, or when I felt ready. (Not yet, but I'm glad to know it won't be too long!) So....Yes, there has been real progress!!

Now my question for you all today:
Since I'm no longer taking the strong pain killer, I don't feel like I can do the exercises as well. I push to discomfort, but that's it, and it's not going very far at all! I can tell the PT that comes to my home doesn't think I'm working hard enough on it, and she tries hard to push, push, push. She tells me I must get those numbers NOW or it may not come! I know BoneSmarties know differently, but it's hard for me not to worry about it. So far.....I'm only at 70 and 12 for straightness. Is that terrible? Should I be worried?? Thanks for your opinions and advice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom