TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all...

I do have some sad news. We lost my Mother-in-Law this morning. It was a blessing, actually, but she will certainly be missed. Going to the visitation, funeral, and family dinners will certainly be a challenge for me, but I'll find a way to do it. I'm sure I'll need some extra naps afterwards! Just hope everyone understands...

Dear Dewey,
I am so very sorry for your loss. 9-10 weeks are still so tough. You re doing so well for all that you have been dealing with. Bless your heart! My most sincere condolences.
 
Curious? It is an amazing small world. I don't use buddhabear in my email address. But I know it's not an uncommon handle. Yes, ha, it is snowing!
 
My new knee will be 7 months old tomorrow. I feel wonderful. It was a TOUGH first 3 months, but now I barely feel anything. I don't know your OS, but know of the practice. Dr. Lahey Sr. was my daughter's OS when she was born. I remember the pediatrician recommending 2 orthopedic docs; Dr. Pappas who was the then famous sports doc or Dr. Lahey Sr. He said that Pappas would use new techniques such as exercise and Lahey would do the old tried and true procedures. Since she was my baby girl with a congenital hip and tibia contortion, I chose Dr. Lahey and the tried and true. She danced on Broadway and still teaches dancing. Perfect choice. Boy, do I feel old recollecting this story. Dr. Pappas' office is across from mine. He is sometimes wheeled in by a caretaker and may stay for a few minutes. Long story short, any physician that is in Dr. Lahey Sr.'s practice (may he rest in peace), has to be fantastic. As for my knee, I know and trust Dr. Ayers. There wasn't anyone else I would have had do my surgery. I see him in March and we will talk about my left knee replacement. I'm thinking of late fall, early winter. I hated missing half of the summer. I wanted to go in the pool so badly, but my doc said no way. The snow and ice also scare me. I've asked campus police if I could hang onto them to walk to my car on icy, windy days. I will, however, have a pain management plane in place for 3 months before I sign up for knee #2. My OS stopped my pain prescription at 4 weeks. (His NP gave me another 30 percoset that I used only when I got home from work and sometimes before bed. (had bed dread until 4 months.) I didn't use them on weekends because working fulltime was tough, and I needed some comfort when I got home. I ached and swelled. I do have a recliner desk chair and still do ice. All in all, I'm feeling great. You?
 
Wow, it is a small world! Dr. Lahey's son is about to join the practice, so the beat goes on. Vinton is very young. But I my niece and nephew both went to school with him and recommended him, and got the approval of a friend of mine at UMass, Walter Leclair. I had mine done 7 weeks apart and was on track until about a month after I went back to work and started to really over do at the guidance of my PT at St. Vs. ending up with hip and knee bursitis, tendonitis and IT band pain. Unfortunately during MRI just lately they determined I have spine and hip issues. So, bottom line is the knees are now much better with 140+ ROM, but dealing with other stuff. Osteoarthritis. What can I say. It is a journey, and Vinton is right with me with the new issues. I fear the ice and snow as well. Luckily I have permission to park right outside the front door of my office - I 'm at Kennedy CHC. By the end if the day Fridays I really feel things. Weekends are still a lot of resting, elevating and icing getting ready for Mondays. So right to have a pain management plan for next time.
Great story about your daughter!
 
Just wanted to thank you all for your kind words of condolences. Now that the funeral is over and relatives have left town, I'm hoping I can get back to the business of healing this knee. It's been a rough few days, and I'm worried that I lost some ROM due to missing PT. I've tried to do some exercising at home, but it's just not the same. Knee feels so stiff today.

Tears are still here today, but I seem a bit better. Just hate feeling down like this.......it's just so NOT me!

Going to try driving today! I think that may help with my "funky" mood! Sure hope this sadness phase doesn't last too long.
 
nd I'm worried that I lost some ROM due to missing PT. I've tried to do some exercising at home, but it's just not the same. Knee feels so stiff today.

Our thoughts a prayers go out to you and your family for your loss.

Do not worry about the lack of ROM...take it easy and get back into gently working the knee and your ROM will cone back. Take it easy, ice/elevate, and rest.

Driving is a neat step---another milestone that symbolizes one's return to normalcy! Congrats!
 
Hi Dewey, your plate sure has been full. I had a terrible case of that funky feeling. That with raw sadness, trying to cope, hold it all together, and then healing must be incredible tough. Be kind to yourself. Do what you can and your rom will inch back. We all care about you very much.
 
Dear Dewey, you haVe had a really tough time lately. :friends:. Big hugs to you.

I find the emotions just come from nowhere and it can be overwhelming. You are doing so fab so just be kind to yourself and take everything very easy. :flwrysmile:.

I hope your driving went ok as well. Take care, Fernie
 
Hi Dewey, what a roller coaster ride you are having.
I don't think you need worry about ROM, it is very early days after your surgery, you still have a lot of healing to do.
No wonder you are feeling blue with having the loss of your much loved MIL to deal with as well.
Try to rest and allow yourself to take some time out to heal without pressure to achieve anything. You are doing brilliantly.
Hope the driving went well, I will watch with interest to see what you decide about doing knee 2 as I need both done too and am hoping to follow a similar schedule to you,
Big hug, Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
Hello, and hope you're all having a good evening! I've had a busy day....

Drove myself to physical therapy today! :yay: Feels good to have hit that milestone, believe me! It was a bit difficult getting in and out of the car, but the actual driving was easy! Felt like a "free bird"!

I needed to take a nice, long nap when I got home, though! I can't believe how HARD everything is, and how TIRING everything is! The least little things just wear me out! Wonder how long this will last??

My therapist feels like I'm behind now. :boohoo: I was really discouraged when I left there today. I see my OS a week from Friday, and she thought he just might discuss a MUA if my ROM isn't better! AARRRGGGHHHH...I do not want to even consider that yet! I think I'm a bit behind because the first 10 days after my surgery I wasn't able to do much stretching or exercising at all due to extreme nausea. I really believe I will continue to progress. I've gone from 60 just two weeks ago to 78 today. Please tell me that's good progress for 4 weeks!! I am having a hard time NOT stressing about this.......

I got on the bike today for the first time. I didn't make a complete rotation, but did lots of rocking. I was afraid of it, but it actually felt pretty good. I wonder when I'll be able to rotate those pedals??

Just want you to know that I'm still enjoying reading everyone's accounts of their progress here at BS! It's so nice to have others who really know exactly what I'm going through! Thanks, again, for being here for me!

Take care, all!
 
Hi Dewey - sorry I have not kept up with you. Just emerged from a maelstrom of issues and deadlines! First, my condolences on your family's loss of your mother-in-law. Those huge life changes coupled with recovery and anticipation of another surgery are huge.

Like buddahbear, I also had my knees done 7 weeks apart - the kids are now 10 and 17 weeks old. Both surgeries, despite the same OS and hospital, were different, but mostly because the anesthesiologist on #2 "forgot" to give me a femoral artery block and we were playing pain catch-up for weeks thereafter.... But that isn't the issue. You will be in a better place. The point is that each knee and surgery can be a bit different. You will be more relaxed going into it since you know what to expect. Obviously, knee #1 isn't totally healed, but it is strong enough to pick up the effort after the second surgery. I must admit I have had some problems with my #1 because of the extra work it undertook, but nothing extreme. All perfectly manageable if you just follow the mantra. I am glad I did it fairly soon after the first (since I couldn't have them done the day day as planned), because it is over with and I won't be looking at another surgery/recovery in a few months down the road. And neither will you!

Crying - yup - have had a few of those jags too. And most of us haven't had to deal with the stresses and pressures and expectations of an important family loss at 4 weeks out.

On the ROM and pain - let me suggest a massage or two with someone who knows the lymphatic system - likely someone well-trained in shiatsu massage. I found it helped soooooo much with mobilizing the fluids out of my leg(s) and knee(s) - and the fluids and swelling corresponds directly to pain relief and being able to bend more. Are you doing the strap exercize where you lay on your back with a strap or towel under the bottom of your foot and gently pull your foot toward your butt? I found that to be very helpful.

Hope all progresses well - it seems like 4 - 5 weeks is a little soon to be pronouncing you needing an MUA!
 
Hello, and thanks so much for your responses! Buddahbear and Nightquilter....I will surely need your support and encouragement in the next few weeks as I prepare for knee #2. THANKS SO MUCH! The surgery is tentatively set for Monday, March 25th, but I see the OS on the 8th to confirm. Since my bend is not good, I'm not sure he'll still want to go ahead with the second one. I'm hoping for lots of improvement before my appointment!

I worked on it today doing some gentle pulls and exercises, but it just doesn't want to bend too far. It is really discouraging to me! I don't really know how hard to push it. Pain is not my friend, so I just push to discomfort. I'm feeling like it's my fault, and perhaps I haven't been working hard enough in the last couple of weeks. Due to severe nausea right after surgery, it was 2 weeks before I really felt like doing much at all. Did I stop it from improving by not working hard at first?

I've felt pretty fortunate that my sleep hasn't been too bad. I wake often, but usually go right back to sleep. Last night, though, was not good. I don't feel like I got any good sleep at all! Lots of tossing and turning, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Sure hope it's not the start of something!

PT again tomorrow morning with a new therapist. Maybe she'll have some more ideas for me....

Thanks, again, for your kind posts!!
 
Hi Dewey. Pleased you managed to drive ok to your physio. That little bit of freedom perks you up dosent it. I am reading your posts with interest as with most of us on here my other knee will need surgery eventually. When I went for my 6 week check with my OS in November he said he could book me in for February. But there was no way I could cope with another TKR just then. I am 20 weeks post op now. My left knee is progressing really well but I have only thought that for the last two weeks. Until then there didnt seem to be any progress. Now I am using the exercise bike 3 times a day 5 minutes each time and will increase that time weekly. I can at last manage the stairs properly but only from this week. In fact my right knee dosent cause me any pain and feels stronger for the exercises I am doing. I want to put off surgery as long as I can. I have no idea what my ROM is. We are much more relaxed about that here in the UK. My physio stopped at 6 weeks and I only saw her three times in all. As long as I am exercising and progressing I really dont worry about it. I hope you feel better soon. The blue days do go away. At one time I was even crying at advertisments on TV. NNow im feeling much better and defnitley more positive. Take Care. :flwrysmile:
 
Dewey,

I agree don't let them boss you around. The advise given o n here is the best. I think after reading all this i wouls ask on here before doing anything I am not sure of. Lovely to hear from you. Hugs xxx :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Take it easy on yourself Dewey - you've been through two back-to-back uphevals in under 4 weeks - surgery and the loss of MIL - plus the nausea after the surgery. I am confident that you will be able to get to a good bend - there is no time limit. Sadly, it doesn't happen overnight - ask any of us! Just keep doing the exercises - not to pain - just to stretch a couple times a day, like the PT says! You'll get there - we all did, at different rates and stages. You have a goal now with the other surgery coming up.

btw - I had a crying jag today - first one in weeks, yet out of the blue! All better now. Totally natural I expect given the chemicals we need!
 
It sounds like you've made real gains and will continue to each week. Some people have been glad they had mua's but it seems kind of early for you to worry about that.
 
May you find peace and love in the memories you cherish, Dewey.
Driving, now that is progress, good for you. Keep up the good work and I will keep you in my thoughts.
 
You're making progress again and you're back on track. Having said that, can you postpone your next surgery a couple-few weeks, to give yourself more healing time, physically and just as much, emotionally? Life's what happens when you're making other plans. I can't recall who the heck said that, but it's my go-to fallback line when someone tells me what must happen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom