Guest viewing is limited

THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
designergirl, My energy level came back really fast. After the first week I didn't even nap anymore. I have had a really busy week along with working a few days, tonight I'm tired but I am taking antibiotics before my next surgery and on the bottle is says can make you drowsy and I think that's what's happening. My surgery is at 10:30 my time, central. I think we are 2 hours behind you. We are supposed to be getting a really bad storm coming in sometime tonight and last through tomorrow, I hope we don't have bad roads on Friday. My husband said we will just have to leave home sooner. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive on good roads. I don't have anyway to get online in the hospital so I will post as soon as I can once I get back home.
 
It's official, the restrictions are off. 6 weeks post-op yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about giving them all up. Can I now sleep on my side without the pillow? Bending more than 90 degrees does feel comfortable, but putting on the sock doesn't feel right yet. I'm sticking to the sock aid for now. Can the toilet seat go away?

Gardening season will begin soon and I'm wondering what I can and can't do. Does anyone else have experience with easing into gardening? Light stuff like weeding and cultivating soil. Maybe moving some 20 lb. flower pots around? The real gardening season starts in about 6 weeks from now and I will be further along then. It would be nice to do just a bit now though.

Hi designergirl. Welcome to the next stage of recovery! Sorry, but that is still where I think we need to be mentally positioning ourselves. Slowly does it. Of course we are all different, and our healing is at different paces, but I think that 6-12 weeks post op is 'stage 2' really, as our hip op was dramatic for our bodies and while mine can be allowed do a bit more, I don't think that I can expect it to deliver overnight. For example - I used a normal toilet at 6 weeks, and then found it very hard to get back up. (Tip I have learnt on here - keep your operated leg straight, and push up rather than out with your good leg).

I was pottering in my garden yesterday, which was lovely in the brief sunshine we had. But in all honesty I could only glance at the weeds. I have just seen my GP who said anything where you are putting unusual amounts of pressure on the hip, like mowing the lawn, put off until at least 12 weeks.

For what it is worth I would say see how things go when you try them out gently, and stop while you are ahead having achieved a small goal. There is no point in (doing what I tend to do) going full throttle at something, and then having to give up part way through due to exhaustion, as that mentally sets me back.
 
I really pushed the envelope today. My company participated in a building wide open house. Lots of people, food, drink, promoting our company, chatting with prospective clients. I walked a ton and went up and down lots of stairs (4 story building). No pain so far, was a bit out of shape for the stairs, but did them anyway (got to get back in shape anyway). Home now, legs elevated hoping I won't pay the price tomorrow. I have an easy day tomorrow, no work, no appointments, just laundry. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Firebrand I think nature wants me to wait to garden. We have had non-stop rain for the last four days. Those puddles in the yard aren't going to be drying up soon. The forsythias are just about to bloom, which makes me very happy though. April showers bring...you know the rest.
 
Hi designergirl I hope that you are taking it easy today and not suffering from overdoing things yesterday. We've also had a lot of rain here recently, and because it has been so cold, my daffodils are only blooming in the garden. Nice to have a bit of colour to look at out there.
 
Sounds like you need a day of rest to recover :)
 
designergirl
Great progress Susan. Walking long distance and climbing 4 stairs, wow!
You must need a rest :-)
Just a quick question: do you still have a slight oedema on the incision area and slightly warmer than the other areas on your leg?
 
sansabosa
Hi Selin, I do still have the slight swelling at the incision site, but I don't detect it being warmer there or on other areas. I think Josephine mentioned that the slight warmth is normal for quite some time. As for my stair adventure, no major damage done, just a bit more muscle aches. I'm taking it easy today to balance the activity.

Overall how is your progress going Selin? I'm starting back to my aqua aerobics class this week. I can tailor what I do to how I feel. Will be showing my badge of honor (my scar) proudly!
 
Yes, slight warmth around the incision area can indicate increased blood supply to the area which is a good...

Glad to read you are resting.. Important to mix it up, activity, (the right amount) and rest... :)
 
designergirl, it sounds like your are doing really well with your new hip. Going up and down stairs like a rock star:egypdance: I am so happy that everything has gone so well for you. How's the aqua classes going?
 
Just a quick update, I haven't been around much because life has pretty much gotten back to normal (cooking, cleaning, laundry and gardening). Had my 10 week follow-up with my OS and everything look super great. I have really great ROM already. Just a slight IT band thing going on with my knee, working on these with stretches. The more I walk, the less I have the knee pain. He made me walk down to hall to check my gait and everything is fine. I asked how my other hip looked and he said it may never get to the point of replacement. I'm walking a great deal and doing tons of stairs. I haven't taken the elevator at my workplace for a few weeks, this is going up 5 flights of steps 2x a day. Not to mention I live in a two-story house with a basement. I still take an Alleve every morning for the IT band knee pain, but this is slowly getting better. So thank-you to all the wonderful folks here on Bonesmart for helping me to get to this point. :thankyou:
 
Hi designergirl Great to hear from you again and its wonderful how well you are doing. Sounds like your OS is pleased with your progress and what good news that your other hip is ok as well. I hope it's not too long before your IT problems are behind you It's nice to hear that the more you walk the less you have knee pain. It's great for me who is 7 weeks post surgery ti read such a positive report so thank you.
 
designergirl
Great report! Congrats on an awesome recovery! Your post gives me a lot to look forward to. Sounds like your IT band issue will be resolved soon. Take care and let us know what adventures your new hip has with you!
 
Firebrand aside from a full schedule of work, I'm diving into my gardening. Hubby will do the major digging and I will do the rest. Truth be told, I moved 8- 3 cubic foot bags of mulch and did not pay a price muscle-wise. I will start to take some short bicycle rides soon to build up endurance. I can see 20-30 mile bike rides this summer will be possible. I just need to slowly build up to it.

Teacat it seems that the IT band issues are lessening because I'm doing the stretches. It only hurts to the side of my knee. I also swim now and that helps a great deal. If I was to give any one advice about adding activity, it would be to go slow and steady. I did that without formal PT and I feel almost normal. Certainly 100% better than right before my surgery.
 
designergirl, I was so glad to see you posted again...I hope you continue to stop by, you're my surgery buddy. I pretty much forget about my first hip replacement as far as pain and walking. I do have to work with ROM in both hips and I have muscle building to do. My second hip is coming along really well. I am walking more all the time without the use of a cane, I am really hating the cane being my constant companion but better to have than not for now. It sounds like you're doing so well and it's great to read about all your progress. I hope your other hip stays healthy so you don't have to have surgery on it but it you ever do you know what to expect. I'm so excited about summer and warm weather, so much to look forward to.
 
sandybeach so glad you are doing so well seeing as you had to go through twice as much as I did. This summer look to be far better than the last two were. I still have my cane in my car, haven't used it in 7 weeks, but I am hesitant about removing it. Kind of like an older kid with a security blanket. I felt the same way about the cane when I had to use it, it was another item to keep track of and would fall down when I propped it up on something. It's good to have if you need it though.

I was speaking to my sister yesterday and although she has good hips, she also has IT band issues. She suspects hers is from too much exercise. I may go ahead and get the foam roller, she has had good luck with this. I never realized it was such a common problem especially with runners.

Are you doing PT to help with the ROM? It will come back as will the muscle strength.
 
sandybeach. Hi, I am 13 days past surgery and it has been wonderful to read of your recovery and returning strength. I am also a swimmer, and I wonder if you have been given any restrictions on the type of stroke? I've read that some have been told not to do the breast stroke because the leg motion is bad for the hip. Have fun in your garden. Lenora
 
LeeApril26, you probably meant to tag designergirl about the swimming question? I hope your recovery is going well and you can get back to swimming soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom