THR Depression...Surgery 7/2/18

Miss me? Decided to quit whining for awhile.

19 days post—op. Kind of at a plateau. Doctor has cleared me to drive, return to the YMCA (water-walking classes) and do pretty much whatever I feel I can do. So, I’ve resumed my classes, driven, done a bit of shopping, grocery and otherwise. Walking with a cane, but I get easily fatigued, and ache afterwards. Yes,ice, ice, ice. Nights are a bit tough; been feeling feverish and achy early evenings; goes away after a couple of hours. Still taking Tramadol, but only at night. My internal temperature-control is off; I’m cold a lot (before all of is, I NEVER got cold). Improvement — can’t really see any from day to day, but at least it’s not any worse.
 
@Jan1956 , I am right there with you. Had my surgery on 7/11 and have no particular pain, no need for pain killers. What I do have is a dull ache that I treat with icing and a serious mind fog that doesn’t let me get my mind around anything for any length of time, other than to post a brief email or read a chapter in a mindless book. (I am a former health policy writer and pr person, and now a full time jeweler, so I get your frustration.)
My only suggestion is that we promise to laugh at least 2x a day, reach out to friends, and watch silly movies until the sadness passes...and it will. My policy background is in Behavioral health, along with a healthy respect for good meds!
 
Just a thought... @Jan1956
I marked progress by weekends. Reason being hubs was off work, and I usually had visitors, or at least one of my kids and grandkids. It felt easier to recall what I was doing last Sat or Sun, looking back, rather than day to day. Mon-Fri all seemed the same, nothing really stood out.
In my opinion you're putting more pressure on yourself looking for daily improvement.
Try to let it go for a week, you may be surprised.
 
:wave:
Whining is allowed..believe me, if it were not so...they would've kicked me off by week 2.
I am also not an online denizen, but Bonesmart was a great comfort and help to me as the input was from "those who know"

Getting back to activities slowly was key to my recovery...and it is hard to see progress when we are going in baby steps.
It is the best way, I think.
Once you get back to life...there will be no stopping you.
Hope you have a Good Day today!:loveshwr:
 
Almost 3 weeks, and I am frustrated and just generally tired of this. (Ok, that’s my whine for today.)

Cleaned/wiped-down the upstairs bathroom, and changed the shower curtain liner (which, disappointingly, turned out to be great, and not the ‘clear/translucent ‘ that I thought it was.). While I am far from fastidious (e.g. we have 2 cats and two dogs, and the resulting furry tumbleweeds blowing across our living room and dining room floors are just a part of life here) , I get skivved-out by dirty bathrooms, and it has been three weeks. Hubby has been doing a lot just keeping up with the animals...and me.
 
I hate AC too! The saying "I correct Auto Correct more than it corrects me" comes to mind.

Jan, you sound so much better than a couple weeks ago. We're seeing your sense of humor shine through and while you're bored, your recovery is going great. Take a look at the article below. Not as a reminder, or reprimand, but look how well you're doing for 20 days post op.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Keep it up and consider icing preventatively after a flurry of activity.
Enjoy the rest of the day and have a great week!
@Jan1956
 
@Jan1956 I agree with Layla. I doubt you can see any progress day to day but if you look back, you can see how very far you have come. It sounds like you are doing fantastic!
 
Surprisingly good day! Out of the house and on the go for about 4 hours. Felt like myself for a bit. 3 weeks since surgery.

Yesterday a good friend called—-she fractured her ankle. I told her that next week we’ll go to Walmart and each take a motorized cart and chase each other through the store—we both got a chuckle from that.
 
Hi Jan,
Getting out of the house makes such a difference. You sound great. Vibrant and happy.
Consider icing preventatively tonight after your outing so you're not sore tomorrow.
Hope your week is great!
@Jan1956
 
I have the surgery date and and side. I don't know if we share the same approach.

Anyway I'm super happy you had some goodness.

For me, the surgery had some very dark pieces, so the good shines brighter than before.
 
There’s highs and lows...I’m so frustrated and impatient and tired of all of this. As for the surgery — it had to be done, we know that, but time is going so slowly...it’s like summer is being ‘wasted’ since I can’t do what I want. However, it’s not like we can change what’s happening...just got to get through it. ( And, ‘momof9’, we’ll get through it.)
 
Steps...are not my friend. The automatic muscle-memory re: ascending/descending steps is gone. I find myself stopping and being forced to think about ‘what to do’ when I approach stairs. No longer using the cane, I find that I can manage going down with alternating feet, yet it feels different somehow, like maybe my leg will give out (although it never has). Quad muscle, however, not cooperating with the ‘up-alternating feet’ action at this point (4 and 1/2 weeks out of surgery). Yes, I can grab the railing and hoist myself up, but that’s not what I’m aiming for. Please tell me that this will improve...
 
Yes...it did for me.
I had to do the same thing for a bit.
Not quite strong enough yet.
Don't worry, I toddler stepped it for a few months.
Safer.
Only one month!
Happy one month by the way!
 
Hi Jan,
It will come, just use the railing until you get more comfortable with the motion. You're only one month post op today. Give yourself time.
Happy One Month Anniversary! :yay: :happydance:
I'll bet you're recognizing that recovery moves more quickly than we anticipated.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Jan1956
 
In some ways I’m moving forward with recovery. However, still having trouble with walking up steps, can’t quite squat, and lately, feeling absolutely fatigued. I’m trying to not overdo things, decided against “outpatient physical therapy” and instead have been doing water-exercise classes at the Y. Don’t know where to draw the line between strengthening muscles and overdoing it, however. (Why can’t this all be easier?)
 
Because...it isn't:console2:
One month wall...energy drain, post op blues , cabin fever, tired of icing and elevation...
What could be frustrating about all that?:)

Sorry you are feeling low.
Does get better and is so worth it.
Hang in there:roseshwr:
 
Early days, as they say, only one month post op from a major surgery.
Actually, you're doing well. I'm amazed at how far you've come.
Look back at your first posts, if you haven't already. You're doing great, Jan.
Wishing you a nice weekend!
@Jan1956
 
Finally able to manage the stairs—both up and down, alternating feet— a couple of times yesterday and today. Still experiencing mind-numbing fatigue, however.
 
Hi there, I just wanted to say that it looks like your recovery has been pretty good.

I’m two weeks post-op (tomorrow) and still always using a walker. The only steps I’ve attempted are the porch and my walker fits fully on them.

I left the house today for the first time. PT comes to me and I don’t have a doctors appt for 2 more weeks (well I have a Pre-Op for my other hip with anesthesia before that). I’d much rather just let me hubby do the shopping and he is doing all the cooking. I’m feeling like I’m really behind though seeing what you’ve done.
 
Back
Top Bottom