THR Depression...Surgery 7/2/18

25 year old married daughter was disappointed that we weren’t planning on going out tonight for dinner, like we do most Fridays. Hasn’t occurred to her that this is major surgery. Ah, to be 25 again. She better hope this isn’t hereditary)
:heehee:
You ARE funny, Jan.
Glad you are getting some better.
Does make us more empathetic to those with infirmities...did me.
Especially those with permanent issues...most likely all our distresses are temporary.
Have a great day:SUNsmile:
 
Good news @Jan1956! I do think the hardest thing for me was doing “nothing”. Before surgery I thought I would use the down time to read, sew, knit - boy was I going to productively use the time while on the sofa. The only problem was I didn’t feel like doing anything for weeks, the tv remote got quite a workout!

How absolutely true! Still have trouble concentrating (think: magazines, not books), and have the attention span of a two-year old. Now if I only had the ENERGY of a two-year old...
 
Hello everyone—
I think the ‘head crazies’ are finally gone! Anyone who has experienced anxiety/depression knows what a major relief that is, (and for you ‘normals’ out there, imagine ‘just knowing, with absolute certainty’ that something horrible was about to happen, to you, to your spouse, to your children, any day now...like Josephine’s illustration— the sword of Damocles.). Thank you all for your patience while I whined for the past week...all I can say is ‘no more opioids for me!’ Really messed with my head, and my head meds.

Moving on...coincidentally, after I stopped my opioids, I had trouble sleeping. Initially I chalked that up to ‘my crazies.’ However, after reading other people’s threads, it seems like maybe I may need something for pain at night. I take: (AM) Allegra D (allergies), vitamin B-50, and PM Allegra D, aspirin 325 mg, crazy pill (venlafaxin —75 mg), (ah yes, and my new friend, the ‘stool softener’—which, along with the aspirin, are the only NEW meds since the surgery). Oh, and Ibuprofen as needed. Last two nights took some Tramadol (pre-surgery left-overs) which helped me sleep— only adverse effect was headache when I woke up— which may or may not be related.

Today I may attempt to water my garden with a hose. We’ll see.
 
So happy you are feeling better!
I had those dull headaches in morning...thankfully that first cup of coffee dilated those blood vessels a tad and seem to knock it out!:mcoffee:
Today I may attempt to water my garden with a hose. We’ll see.
Funny how we drop our ambition level to achieve those small tasks!
Exactly as it should be.
Love playing with the hose!:happydance:
 
Last edited:
It’s so good to see you are doing so well! So glad the “head crazies” are over! We make light of them, but when you’re experiencing the crazies it seems like it will always be this way.

And, although it’s a small thing, I never thought about reading/flipping through magazines - brilliant! I will borrow some from the library and put them on my iPad!
 
I never thought I’d say this, but things seem to be falling into place. Watered the garden with the hose for maybe 15 minutes today. It’s a bit difficult to get accustomed to only having one hand free when walking/standing, but it will work. Here in Southeastern PA the ground is parched, a good watering would take maybe 1 — 1 and 1/2 hours, which I cannot handle right now, but, little by little, I do what I can.
 
but things seem to be falling into place
Things you aren't allowed to say on Bonesmart!:heehee:
Glad you're feeling a bit back to yourself...there will still be some tentative times to come, but just keep thinking...Temporary!
Have a great Sunday!:) :-) (:
 
(What was I thinking!)

There’s going to be ups and downs. I’m trying to find/do at least one thing a day that makes me happy— or at least makes me smile
 
@Jan1956 Thank you for sharing your experience thus far. I'm still here in waiting land, wondering if I'm going to make it to my September 14 BTHR....I've gone through the decision to have the surgery and the relief that comes with that decision. Now I'm brewing in pre-op anxiety, trying to get my life in order for the recovery journey on the other side. It is great to see your sense of humour returning and that you are beginning to enjoy doing pleasant things in a small way to start with...like watering the garden for a brief period vs. the whole hurrah :flwrysmile:
I am more anxious about the first two weeks to month post op, and what the opiods will do to my mind than anything else. I had a bad experience with opiod drugs post op abdo surgery twenty years ago. Knowing what you have been through with these drugs, and others have too, will prompt me to ask more questions in the pre-op about the options for post-op pain management.

Wishing you peace of mind and super healing as you journey through your recovery and rehab from THR surgery :SUNsmile: The best is yet to come, that is why we all proceed with the surgery :yes:
 
@Jan1956
I am more anxious about the first two weeks to month post op, and what the opiods will do to my mind than anything else. I had a bad experience with opiod drugs post op abdo surgery twenty years ago. Knowing what you have been through with these drugs, and others have too, will prompt me to ask more questions in the pre-op about the options for post-op pain management.
 
I am totally inept with quoting others when posting...

Moving along...
Alitm —I believe there are options to opioids. I’m using Tramadol, (which is in a different category of drugs) which was prescribed presurgery, My Doctor’s appointment is Tuesday, when I be asking the same questions as you— options to opioids. I’m not sure if my experience was an anomaly, and I can only guess as to what was the actual cause. Don’t stress— we’re all different, and many things could have changed since your previous bad experience.
 
Hi Jan,
You're really making progress. Happy, smiling, looking for things to make you happy and smiley, supporting others
like you have Altim above. I'ts refreshing to see you emerge from > :blackcloud:I'm very happy for you!
May it only get better! Wishing you many smiling moments today.

Here's a explanation of quoting -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-the-quote-feature.14729/

Below the blue bar at the top of the page there is a tab labeled "Help and Information" if you tap that you'll find "How To Use This Forum" where you'll find explanations on how to navigate the forum. Hope this helps :SUNsmile:
@Jan1956
 
Could be medication side effects. ALONG with anaesthesia...major assault on body where new ball and socket liner were placed along with stem placed in femer. Lots of stuff for your brain to cope with these first weeks.
I stayed on opioids regularly for over 6 weeks, and never had withdrawal side effects or too many other bad effects..except constipation!
 
It seems that most people do NOT have problems with opioids, at least short-term (acute vs. chronic). Frankly, I was Superwoman while I was taking them. It wasn’t until I stopped that my ‘head crazies’ (which were quite common in the past until I received the appropriate meds) emerged. While you can be certain that I will be following up with my physician, it is possible that I will never know for certain whether opioids triggered it or not. However, in an abundance of caution, I will STRONGLY URGE my physician to prescribe something else.
 
There are plenty of us who can not tolerate opioids. Please don't worry. There are plenty of alternatives. I carry a card with me to advise medical staff on what works for me and what does not.
 
Difficult getting up today...quad muscle hurts! Yes, I went outside a bit yesterday; it’s making me crazy seeing all this beautiful summer weather and being unable to do anything other than walk a little. Initially I hoped to get through the summer with cortisone shots (I LIVE for summer!) and then having the surgery maybe in late November or December...(theorizing that since I’m miserable in winter anyway, why not?). However, it quickly became apparent that the hip was not going to cooperate. I’m also in the midst of retirement from my job of 29 years, (which will be a good thing, once I’m mobile). Once I decided to have the surgery, I wanted it done the following week (don’t laugh!), but had to wait 3 weeks. While I knew what the procedure entailed, I didn’t know much else, and frankly, didn’t research it (rationale: why stress myself out with “what if’s”? It’s gotta be done). Like many of you, I spent that time ‘preparing’ (stocking up on bird seed, pet food, cat litter, non-perishable food — yes, my husband CAN find the grocery store, but I cringe as he pays full price/no coupons.)

Enough whining. Two full weeks post-op, which, depending on whether you use 6 weeks or 8 weeks as the “feeling mostly normal” point, means 1/3 — 1/4 the way there.
 
You sound well, Jan.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I researched a lot before surgery and found things to worry about. I may have
been less anxious if I didn't google as much, but it's also how I found BoneSmart! When I finally bit the bullet
and scheduled surgery I asked for the first available appt also. To me, the worst time mentally was the time between scheduling surgery and surgery day.

I don't know that it will take you 6-8 weeks to feel mostly normal. I felt really good at One Month post op. Driving, off meds, no assistive device. The energy level wasn't there but I was able to go out and do what I needed to. Car rides had to be limited to 30-45 mins tops. I was super uncomfortable after that amount of time.

Still a lot of healing to happen in these early months. It can take up to a year. But when you're making slow steady progress and you're no longer in pain...it's so worth it! Keep up the icing for sure.
Wishing you a great week!
@Jan1956
 
It sounds like your recovery is going very well. I’m glad you found this forum because I think you will find, as most of us have, that it really helps you make it through the recovery. The help and support from all these people we don’t know is truly amazing. I was lucky to find BS before my surgery so it helped to have a place to ask questions and get support ahead of time, too.

Just take your time with recovery and don’t push it. Get lots of rest, icing and elevation and you will be back to your old new self in no time!
 
I found this forum totally by chance (translation: I had never been on an on-line forum, and wasn’t looking for one). EVEN IF I were to discontinue right now (which I ‘m not), people on this forum have already helped me beyond expectations (helping me get through two of the most difficult weeks I’ve experienced in a long time). Yes, I have friends/acquaintances who have undergone this procedure, and we have discussed their experiences. HOWEVER, it’s probably human nature to be more comfortable pouring out your heart (or in my case, whining pathetically) more or less anonymously. While we’re all different, we all have a shared experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom