THR Depression...Surgery 7/2/18

I’m feeling like I’m really behind though seeing what you’ve done.

Recovery seems to be different for everyone. From what you’ve written, you indicated you’re having your other hip done in a couple of weeks. (So far) I’m fortunate in that my other hip is fine. That makes a big difference in recovery. It’s not a race. Your PT will give you more to do when he/she feels you’re ready.

As far as hubby doing all the shopping and cooking—enjoy it while you can. Mine is still doing most of the cooking (mainly because I hate to cook). As far as shopping, I love to shop, and after a few weeks found that pushing a shopping cart and looking at ‘stuff’ took my mind off the pressure and stiffness in my hip.

Hang in there. From what I’m told, it will all come together.
 
Finally able to manage the stairs—both up and down, alternating feet— a couple of times yesterday and today. Still experiencing mind-numbing fatigue, however

:egypdance:oh yea! Got those stairs going on.
The post op energy drain is normal and fixes itself...not allot you can do but hurry up asked wait.
And rest!
Great progress...hope today is a Good Day!
 
Had been taking Tramadol to help me sleep at night. Decided last night that it was time to stop. Weird, disjointed dreams, difficulty getting back to sleep, woke up this morning feeling like I hadn’t slept in weeks. No energy. Felt crappy all day, kind of like I did the week after surgery. I do NOT want to go back there. This better be a ‘one and done.’ I should avoid these meds like these...
 
Something changed between week 6 and week 7. I started sleeping better at night. I was not nearly as tired. I stopped feeling like an invalid, and started feeling like me!

Today makes 8 weeks since surgery. I no longer think about it; it’s like it happened years ago. (Yes, Layla and Mojo, I’ll say it—I’m glad I had it done; I’d recommend that anyone experiencing severe pain have it done sooner rather than later. Bet you never thought you’d hear that from me!)

While I’m not completely/totally “there” (still have minor issues ascending stairs, still a bit stiff, and my energy level is not quite where it was [AND I’ve gained about 5 more pounds that I really do not need]), it’s all good. Even if I don’t progress past this point, it’s okay. (But I suspect that these issues will gradually decrease over time).

Looking back, it seems that most of my issues centered around my unpleasant reactions to medications, and not as much about the hip surgery itself. Should I require another “replacement”, I will keep that in mind.

Thank you (and feel free to share with anyone with issues similar to mine). I’ll keep checking in from time to time to see how everyone else is doing.

Jan
 
@Jan1956 Lovely update! Yes we all "turn a corner" somewhere in the process. Trouble is there is no predicting when. Having said that 6 weeks seems to be a major milestone for many. Long may your progress continue!
 
What a great update, Jan! Thanks so much for sharing.
I knew you'd get there. It can be so difficult to believe in those early days when you're
suffering fatigue, pain and the blues. But you did it! Well, not quite yet because there's still a lot of healing to happen but you're definitely on your way. I think the stiffness, ascending the stairs, your lower energy level and small weight gain will all regulate over the next months.

Don't be a stranger, we'd love to hear how you're progressing over the next several months.
A great rest of the Summer to you!
@Jan1956
 
Yay @Jan1956 !
:happyfeet: things will keep in getting better if you are still mindful that you are continuing to heal!

Happy happy for you!
By Christmas time, I bet you'll be Golden!
Have a good week friend!:SUNsmile:
 
Wow, it’s been awhile!

I recommended this forum to a friend; he has been putting off surgery for months. He said he’s gleaned a lot of information from your site already.

A little over six months since surgery...no pain, no real issues. A bit of stiffness when carrying things up steps. An occasional twinge halfway down the outside of my thigh (my surgeon says it’s ‘bursa’ and says it’s common/normal, especially in women). I have trouble remembering the pre-surgery pain.

If I had it to do over, I would have had surgery sooner. I would try to maybe avoid the heavy-duty pain meds, if possible, or take them for a shorter period of time (they’re so nice...until you stop them.). I’d try not to panic about having no appetite, having no energy...but, I don’t know that I could change that. We are who we are.
 
Thanks for the update, Jan! You're doing so well.
This surgery is life changing for sure. Because they say it can take a full year to completely heal,
things may continue to improve for months to come. A wonderful thought!
Thanks for sharing BoneSmart with another. I'm happy to hear they've found the site enlightening.
A great 2019 to you!
@Jan1956
 
Looking back, it seems that most of my issues centered around my unpleasant reactions to medications, and not as much about the hip surgery itself. Should I require another “replacement”, I will keep that in mind.

I had some issues too; it’s a delicate situation because you simply must sleep. But with hip #2, I took prescription meds for longer and I’ll just say it was a case of diminishing returns mentally. All worked out fine in the end.
 
I can relate to the medications being problematic. I did great right after surgery---it was at 3:30 in the afternoon and I was home by 10 the next morning. However, the next 2 1/2 days were awful---not due to pain, but due to being unable to tolerate the pain meds, and also having uncontrollable nausea that only was helped with 2 different medications. I was out of my mind with the meds, and unable to function.

My doctor suggested getting off of the oxycontin, switching to Tramadol (low dose) and getting the narcotics out of my system. By the 5th day I was doing incredibly well--only taking Tramadol and Tylenol for pain. I tapered off of the Tramodol and was able to stop at the 2 week mark. I think controlling pain is so important, and such a problem for those of us who are especially sensitive to medications. I would have liked to have had a bit less pain, but it wasn't worth not being clear headed and able to take care of myself after the first week.

I would love to see more research done to find better methods, or medications to help control pain. So many struggle, either taking the meds, or getting off of them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom