Guest viewing is limited

THR Depression...Surgery 7/2/18

Showering was a highlight of the day in my early days. It was winter and I took showering and getting dressed as a challenge, especially the socks. It was incredible how long it took to do simple things like dress. I made up my mind that I was all in from the start. My OS wanted me to do my own PT and I had a handout and handbook. PT was very basic muscle contractions and ROM movements, most done lying down. I did 3 sessions a day, another time consumer but I had a lot of time to occupy. Netflix was good but only for upbeat things to watch.
 
Took me a full 3 hours after taking a shower to be able to do anything; the fatigue is mind-boggling. Frankly, since I am prone to bouts of depression/anxiety, I’ve been afraid that the fatigue is depression-related, and have trouble deciding whether to fight it (depression-related), or just go with it (surgery-related). Still no appetite; been working on these same two slices of toast and jelly for the past 15 minutes.
 
Hi @Jan1956
You are only nine days post op from a major surgery. You are bound to be tired.
Energy drain is real. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major
surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making your best effort to get adequate rest and sleep is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're asleep. So take advantage, take naps and please try not to entertain thoughts of WHY you're tired.

Post Op Blues are real too. So whether your feeling down, or tired, both can be attributed to your surgery.
Try to give yourself a mental break and go with that notion.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
To brighter days :SUNsmile: they're just around the corner. :yes:
Hugs :console2:
 
Finally got out of the house on my own, to see a friend. 45 minutes later, back home, and ready for another nap.
 
Diet has a lot to do with recovery and energy levels. Fruits, vegetables and plenty of protein helps.
 
I agree with Eman85 above. I'd really target protein if you're able. Even in snacks throughout the day.
So happy to hear you got out to visit with a friend. Hopefully it lifted your spirits and you can take a relaxing nap. Wishing you comfort and peace!
@Jan1956
 
9 Days out of surgery.
You are almost there, at 2 weeks your head starts to clear out and doing whatever small task, walk or stuff like taking a bath gets much much easier.
Make sure to follow up any spurr of activity with a good solid rest and ice session.

My first few days were a nightmare. The pain med made me dizzy, I was so frightened that the whole 6 months recovery period woud be that way. That along with leg stiffnes, constipation, fear of breaking precautions, etc. made it really hard.
I was not in the mood to receive visits, take phone calls or even watch tv.

Hang in there. It will get much easier!
 
I woke up after yet another nap and...felt hungry! Hubby John made a small portion of Mac and cheese w/broccoli which I didn’t have a whole lot of trouble getting down! Afraid it’s just an aberration...but I’ll take it nonetheless. I’ve never gone onto an online forum before (which is probably why I have trouble responding to posts). You can’t imagine how comforting it is to know that what I’m experiencing isn’t necessarily strange. Why don’t we get this information from our physicians? Maybe I’ll feel worse tomorrow, but for today, thank you.
 
I had a hard time getting my appetite back.
It's just an assault on or body, even for the greater good, does wear on us.
You are doing fine. Eat when you can, sleep when you can, get out when you can.
It will get better !:yes:
This is the only forum I've ever been on...I don't even facebook.:wave:
 
Wonderful news, Jan!
Things are looking up. Even if it's up and down for a time.
It's nice to have an appetite and feel hopeful. Those naps are good, lots of healing going on. Snooze away!

Ditto to what Mojo mentioned above. I never participated in a forum or FaceBook either. This forum is a blessing in my eyes. Not only do people understand but there's so much support and encouragement to be found here right when you need it. Stop back often, we'd love to follow your journey and cheer you on along the way.
Hope tomorrow is a good day.
@Jan1956
 
Hi I have just seen your thread. I too had no appetite, energy or enthusiasm but it does pass. Was interested in your comment about things smelling funny. I had the same. Thats why I had no appetite as things tasted of perfume and I had a really heightened sense of smell very much like being pregnant! I googled it and it's caused by some residue anaesthetic getting caught in your liver and it does go. When it does your appetite will return. You will feel better so hang on in there my friend!!
 
Hi @Jan1956
Lemon Water is supposedly good for detoxing the liver, Jan.
Sip on that if it sounds appealing. I like it, myself.

I hope you have another day like yesterday. Things were looking up it seemed.
Stop by and let us know how it's going.
We'll be here...
 
Don’t feel like getting up. Mornings are tough. There’s the whole day to fill, and I don’t feel like doing anything. Well, there’s no going back, so time to soldier on. Start with a shower.
 
Last edited:
Oh @Jan1956 ! It's been ten days since your hip was replaced:ok:
Normal for many these early days to feel dumpy and downhearted.
If you get super bored, read my recovery thread. I was a whiny nervous wreck!:heehee:
Glad you are plugging along...sometimes it's all we can do
Fake It until We Make It.
Healing hugs:loveshwr:
 
@Jan1956 i can understand why you would be worried about depression with the way you feel. I had a serious bout of depression a few years ago and also had a hip replacement last year. The energy drain of depression and the lack of energy after THR feel remarkably the same. Absolutely no energy, no interest in doing anything, no concentration , etc.

The good news - right now you are almost certainly experiencing the energy drain and exhaustion from the surgery. Your whole body is putting ALL its energy into healing that hip after major surgery. One of the hardest parts of surgery for me was the boredom - it took me weeks to want to read, knit, sew, etc.

I spent a lot of time on this site and got much encouragement here.

You will slowly get your energy back - your job right now is to let your body do its healing.
 
Last edited:
Poor you, but thanks for sharing the realistic side of the recovery..... and please keep posting of your progress. I haven't gone through it yet, but imagine it is "small steps" in every sense of the word. Best of luck!
 
I sympathise @Jan1956, if you really are feeling depressed. I suffered post-natal depression for a long while many years ago and when I had a serious bone infection 12 years ago I was really depressed for a few days when I got back from the hospital, partly due I think to the trauma of it all - and I'm sure a hip op is traumatic to the body - and also because my sub-conscious thought that when I got home all would be instantly back to normal which, of course, it can't be. It only lasted for a few days, though, because like now it was summer, friends came to visit, I found I had the time forced upon me to enjoy the simple pleasures - we have to let worries about housework, gardening, decorating, etc., go, which I don't find remotely easy, and which is my stumbling block this time - and when I looked back on the episode, which resulted in my spending a month in hospital and many months in a wheelchair, the main Pollyanna-ish memory attached to it all is how I rediscovered the art of doing nothing! Keep on what you're doing and I'm sure you'll come out the other end soon. I don't say you won't get fed up (I was this morning - my daughter commented on how moany I was, as I was tired and frustrated), but that heavy depression will lift.
 
Back
Top Bottom