Depression/post-op blues - open for all

I still use tramadol occassionally when my legs feel aggravated, and it helps me get a good night sleep!
 
To all of you who are posting here - we understand your feelings and sympathise totally. Post op depression is real and it can hit hard. Added to the stresses of life this can be a really difficult time.

Just know that this too shall pass!
 
Feeling this today. The sun is not shining and im fatigued. My hip hurt all day yesterday and I therefore didnt sleep well.

I did have a nice shower this morning and will see my boyfriend this afternoon and he always boosts my mood.

I'm having some fresh berries for a Vit C boost and had my protein shake this morning. Hip feels somewhat better than yesterday. Itching (literally) and waiting to get this rump full of staples out on Tuesday. Day at a time.
 
Feeling this today. The sun is not shining and im fatigued. My hip hurt all day yesterday and I therefore didnt sleep well.

I did have a nice shower this morning and will see my boyfriend this afternoon and he always boosts my mood.

I'm having some fresh berries for a Vit C boost and had my protein shake this morning. Hip feels somewhat better than yesterday. Itching (literally) and waiting to get this rump full of staples out on Tuesday. Day at a time.

It will be better tomorrow - I promise! You are lucky to have someone to boost your mood!
 
After reading all the comments, I feel a little more sane. Depression has been a part of my life for quite awhile. So recognizing it and the cause is very much a part of my life. The antidepressant along with
My surgery was 12 weeks ago on Tuesday. As some have already mentioned the depression is hitting harder now, than right after surgery. It also may be because my LTHR is scheduled for September 11.
My body is so off balance because me compensating for new pain in the left hip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
It also may be because my LTHR is scheduled for September 11. My body is so off balance because me compensating for new pain in the left hip.
You will be SO happy when that #2 hip is done. Sure there is recovery to deal with. But to have both hips done and dusted is really a relief.
 
I just wanted to check in with everyone here having the blues. I had 3 very good days in a row where I felt almost normal walking. Then Monday came and whammo! Back to the aches and pains. The Tramadol works great BUT it makes me sooooo nauseaous, just like the Percocet and Vicotin. I wish they made something that takes the pain away without making me feel sick. Its a vicious circle: I feel pain, I feel anxiety due to the pain, anxiety makes the pain worse. Then I have a good day and I think its all behind me. Then it starts over. Aaaargh!
 
@gwenc Can I suggest seeing your family doctor about your meds? There are many alternatives - but everyone reacts differently to meds. Let your doc know you still need pain management but without the nausea. Or - request a prescription for anti-nausea meds.
 
Thanks! THings are good right now but I will ask him for a scrip just in case!
 
@gwenc I had lots of nausea for days with the first hip and percocet, until I started eating a substantial snack with each dose. Tramadol doesn't do that to me, but have you tried eating, say cheese/peanut butter and crackers or some such that fits into your daily foods, with each dose?
 
I also figured out I needed a little something along with meds...great advice.
 
Yes, thanks, I always take on a full stomach, but it still makes me nauseous. Not to the point I throw up, just dizzy and stomach tight. I have called my doctor for an anti-nausea med.
 
To those of you experiencing nausea, my friend being still for at least 1/2 hour after helped with nausea.
Just a thought. Wishing you calm stomachs[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Good Morning everybody. I hope things are improving for all of you. I wanted to share a little tip that is working for me to break the cycle of pain-related anxiety. Its a "mind over matter" kind of deal. Now some of you might find this a bit "woo-woo" and that's OK. If it helps just one other person, its worth it. So here goes:

Recently I have had a couple of really good days where the pain was minimal. During the good days I kept thinking to myself how good it felt to be "normal-feeling" and happy, and how grateful I was. As evening came I realized I was actually growing anxious, waiting for the pain to come back, even though it hadn't! So I mentally brought back the "good-day" feeling and said out loud: "Thank You". I jus tried to dwell in that happy moment. Now every time I feel the anxiety start, I say "Thank You" and immediately it relieves the anxiety. Hope this makes sense!
 
True that, Gwen. Our ability to relieve our body of stress related directly to our immune system responses...
We are getting well...some are dealing with things they can't get well from.
Gratitude helps bring peace of mind for sure.
 
Not sure where to put this comment but it's something I've noticed since my first thr a year ago.

Has anyone else experienced mental fogginess or dullness that went on for months after surgery? I had a spinal with sedation for both thrs. Sedation for the first thr was not mild at all, the anesthesiologist knocked me out. I was in a haze for months afterwards. I mentioned this to the second thr anesthesiologist and was given a very light sedation w/o versed which was great.

Since that first thr, I'm not as "sharp" as I used to be, my mind is distracted. Noticed I'm making silly errors, slower on the uptake and my memory is somewhat compromised. Feels like I'm still on Percocet which I haven't taken in over six mos. Prior to surgery I was alert and had excellent recall, clarity and concentration.

My job depends upon these traits. Initially I thought it was the combined trauma of two thrs within six mos along with the recovery daze however I find myself frequently having to double check things. Any thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Horseshoe I think this foggy feeling is the remnants of energy drain. Recovery is still going on even one year out. It zaps our energy in the early stages but this feeling can linger.

It probably hits your confidence level too. If your job depends on attention to detail just give yourself a bit of extra time. I am sure this will ease.
 
Hi
I have been dealing with recognized depression about 8 months. I've tried 3 or 4 types of antidepressants but can't get past the side effects.
I had my hip THR 4 months ago for avn reasons. It was painful but I've had complications starting around 2 months and now am more depressed than ever.
I thought getting the hip fixed would help and be one less thing to worry about
Now with problems everything is worse.
Feel like I want pain under control before trying to tackling depression again.
Go to phyc tomorrow see what he says but feeling like too many pills.Tried treatment injection for bursitis today
hoping that will start helping
Got to get back to work soon been off 12 weeks after this week need to get working
Feel like if pain was better depression wouldn't be as bad. Tricky stuff knowing how you really feel when drugs get involved
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom